Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling what is lef of my hair out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling what is lef of my hair out

Have an 07 GT that I have been helping a friend with. He blew up the old motor so wanted to upgrade. Bought the Roush TVS 2300 kit with the Supercharger and shortblock. I have installed the motor everything is fine until it get to operating temp then it looses oil pressure, down to about 15psi. I have tried a high volume Ford Motorsports oil pump, did not change anything, replaced VCT gaskets, plastigauged the main caps (they were fine), even tried running with PCV system vented. Nothing is working and I am running out of ideas. The block has a stronger bottom end with low compression pistons. Other than that it is stock. Using new stock 4.6 heads, stock pulleys and the pulleys that came with the kit. Roush has been no help at all. Cannot seem to give me any answers. PLEASE if any of you have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated at this time.

Thanks.
    2nd owner 68 coupe 29k mi (previously my grandmothers)
    289 C4 P/S and A/C
    Work in progress
    Compcams Xtreme Energy XE262H
    Tri-y Headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust,
    Edelbrock performer RPM intake, Barry Grant
    625 Road Demon jr. Updated heads from an
    85 LTD...

4.6 3V?
    I assume your using mechanical pressure gauge?
    Pressure @ 2000 rpm should be 75 psi?
    Factory gauge incorrect?
    Engine valve train noise?
    PCV is a closed system.

Some idea's
    Relief valve in pump?
    Oil Pump pickup tube cracked at solder joint?
    Also i hope they install the non serviceable orifices in the 3V 4.6 cylinder heads? If they are 2V heads,i believe they were servicable in what i have read.

Facts
    Lubrication System

The engine lubrication system operates as follows:

Oil is drawn into the oil pump through the oil pump screen cover and tube in the sump of the oil pan.
    Oil is pumped through the oil filter on the left front side of the cylinder block.
    Oil enters the main gallery where it is distributed to the crankshaft main journals and to both cylinder heads.
    From the main journals, the oil is routed through cross-drilled passages in the crankshaft to lubricate the connecting rod bearings. Controlled leakage through the crankshaft main bearings and connecting rod bearings is slung radially outward to cool and lubricate the cylinder walls as well as the entire connecting rod, piston and piston ring assembly.
    The left cylinder head is fed from a drilling into the supply passage feeding the main gallery at the front of the cylinder block. The right cylinder head is fed from a drilling into the rear of the main gallery.

"!!! Main gallery pressure is reduced as it enters the cylinder head galleries through fixed non-serviceable orifices, located at the upper part of the feed passages. It is this reduced pressure in the cylinder head galleries which feeds the camshaft journals, the hydraulic lash adjusters and the primary and secondary timing chain tensioners.!!!"
    The camshaft lobe and roller followers are lubricated by splash created through valve train operation.
    Oil Pump
    Phil
    Friends are like wedgies..They know your inner self..They're intimately close..And it feels great when you pick out a good one.

Comment

yes, 4.6 3v.
      mechanical gauge,
      oil pressure at 200 rpm is about 60 65 psi at best
      tried 2 new oil pumps, one stock and one high volume and replaced pickup tube
      installed new timing chain tensioners, vct housing gaskets, cam phasers and bolts.
      I am not sure where the orfices for these heads are, if they are serviceable.
      when I put a load on the motor, I can get a noise to start to occur. I believe it it the lack of pressure causing the timing chain tensioners to loose pressure and make the chains rattle.
      The PCV system is closed, I have tried to vent it, wondering if I should try the old valve covers, maybe new ones have a bad PCV.

Thank you for any additional input.
      justin
      2nd owner 68 coupe 29k mi (previously my grandmothers)
      289 C4 P/S and A/C
      Work in progress
      Compcams Xtreme Energy XE262H
      Tri-y Headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust,
      Edelbrock performer RPM intake, Barry Grant
      625 Road Demon jr. Updated heads from an
      85 LTD...

Comment

According to what i read the orifices are non serviceable in the newer heads.I would have to say you have a clearance problem in crank or rod brgs.Whats your measurements?? I would have to say Roush should assist you there,with there numbers when built?? aleast assist you on a fix?? sad they wont lend a hand?? Careful how far you go,it may void your warranty if there is one.
        Phil
        Friends are like wedgies..They know your inner self..They're intimately close..And it feels great when you pick out a good one.

Comment

Just thinking out loud

Is there another place that you could take an oil pressure reading from? Could there be a gasket that is covering a passage or not covering a passage that bleeding of pressure? Could there be a main/cam bearing placed wrong that is restricting flow?
          Jim Bowden

Comment

oil filter

What if the oil filter pressure valve was leaking by or just defective? or even the wrong filter.
            Jim Bowden

Comment

Working...
            X