Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 Mustang Gas Filler Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Mustang Gas Filler Issue

My daughter's 2005 Mustang V6 has developed an issue where I can't seem to fill it with fuel. You have to trickle the fuel in there, or it will cut the pump off. I have tried adjusting the angle of the filler nozzle, but I can't seem to get it to flow properly for more than $1 at a time without cutting off. This is highly annoying. I note that there is a TSB for something at least similar in TSB 07-21-12. However, that seems to want you to replace the entire fuel tank! How does a TSB work? Given that I'm probably the 3rd owner, does Ford still pick up the tab, or am I SOL?
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Just now seeing this. The tank has a vent built INTO it that is not replaceable. The new fuel tank has a revised internal venting system to improve fuel filling, therefore you have to replace the tank.

The only way Ford will pick up the tab is if the vehicle is still under warranty/extended warranty....OR....you're a valued customer at the dealership you frequent and the service manager determines that you're entitled to what we call CLP funds (customer loyalty plan). That money is generally reserved for customers who get all of their maint performed at the dealership and has spend some money there, or the vehicle in question had a Ford extended warranty that expired.
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

One thing you can do is turn the nozzle upside down and that should clear it up. I had that issue on my 05 GT and it was the only way I could pump gas.

Comment

Thanks. No way I'm going to qualify for CLP. Despite having 5 Fords in my drive, the only time they ever see me is when I'm buying a new one or occasionally buying new parts. I appreciate the tip. I'll try the flipped nozzle and see if that helps. Interesting is that I have filled many times without the issue, but suddenly it must have become plugged. If that doesn't work, and I'm pressed down the "replace the tank" road, can I just put in a 2007 tank?

Thanks again!

Dave
        It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
        '66 Coupe C code
        '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Working...
        X