Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brakes Letting Go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes Letting Go

Daughter's '05 V6 stang is reportedly losing its brakes on occasion. Pedal goes to the floor and she uses the Emergency Brake to stop. Then without doing anything (breathe), they work again. This is now the second time this has happened. Any ideas? Fluid is normal. No noises. Pumping them has no effect. I'm thinking master cylinder? I think this is probably headed to the shop.....
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Solved

So I took it the shop. He found a small leak between the reservoir and the MC. $500 later I have a new MC installed and am back on the road safely! Just thought I'd close the loop.

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Sorry GT, just saw this, but yes, the master cylinder is the culpret. I've replaced several (none on a Mustang) but on a couple of Fusions and Focus's. It's an internal failure, nothing to do other than replace. Just wanted to let you know that whoever did your repair more than likely got it right. Hopefully you got the entire system flushed of all the old fluid as well. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, so over time, the older it is, it will affect braking performance (ie soft pedal).
      M&M Member #91
      Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

He gave me a choice of either replacing the whole MC with OEM components (metal), or getting a cheaper rebuild kit (plastic). I spent the extra $ and got metal OEM internals. Seems a no-brainer to me when you're talking about brakes! He did flush it, so I should be good to go, albeit with a lighter wallet.

M&M Member #33
        '66 Coupe C code
        '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Working...
        X