Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

05-06-07 Mustangs, what to look for

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had my 08 Bullitt since new and it's never been in the shop for anything other than modifications (knock on wood). It's only got about 40k miles on it, though. One thing to look out for is the early spark plug design used from '05 through early '08. They come from the factory with a 2 piece design that can get stuck and potentially end up in expensive repairs. If you get one of those, I'd make sure the plugs have been changed. My parents had 2 of them break off in their Explorer (same problem as Mustangs) and fortunately they were able to get them out. Some people have had issues with front wheel bearings (OK once replaced) and others with a leaky cowl (see the post elsewhere in this category). There were also a few with issues grinding going into 3rd on the T-3650 (synchro). I think the automatics were pretty bulletproof, though. If you don't like green, a black Bullitt would be a good option. That package gives a few upgrades over the regular GT such as 315hp vs 300hp, 3.73 gears, GT500 style seats and steering wheel, and a few other things. They're only available with the 5-speed, though. I've been really happy with mine and will probably have it for a long time to come. The 4.6 is pretty slow compared to the newer cars, but they're usually pretty reliable. Cam phasers is about the only issue you ever hear of on them other than the spark plugs, but it's definitely not all of them that have the issue. I'd skip anything with the V6, but other than being underpowered I don't think they particularly had problems.
    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

That's the kind of info I'm looking for! Thanks Steve68!
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Well, I can done see this ain't gonna happen. Have spoken to a few used car dealers, none want to even talk about taking the Vette in on a trade. You'd think I had an Edsel or something. Guess I'll end up keeping it, doing away with the injection crap and going back with a carb to make it a better driver. Who'd thunk a Vette would be hard to get rid of? Piss on'em, it can sit in the yard and not cost me anything but insurance. Sure not going to give it away.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
          Well, I can done see this ain't gonna happen. Have spoken to a few used car dealers, none want to even talk about taking the Vette in on a trade. You'd think I had an Edsel or something. Guess I'll end up keeping it, doing away with the injection crap and going back with a carb to make it a better driver. Who'd thunk a Vette would be hard to get rid of? Piss on'em, it can sit in the yard and not cost me anything but insurance. Sure not going to give it away.
          We get an occasional vette through our shop every year....unless they have ULTRA low mileage and straight as a pin, they go STRAIGHT to the wholesaler.

Of course, we ARE a Ford dealer, so we really don't need Vettes on the lot.
          M&M Member #91
          Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I can see that on a branded dealership, keep your brand on the lot. Ones I was talking with were independents though, you'd think they would want something flashy to draw traffic to the yard.

Comment

Working...
            X