Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

...

Nineteen Years!
.

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 Suspension whine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2005 Suspension whine

    Daughter's 2005 V6 126k has developed a whine. May have multiple issues. Seems like the whine is coming from the front right. It increases in frequency with speed, but unrelated to rpms. Having great difficulty in figuring out what it might be. Noted that it seems to whine more when I turn the wheel +/- 5* or so. I'm thinking bearings, maybe? Any bearings I've had go though tended to have a repetitive clicking noise. There's no clicking or clunking. Bumps seem to not effect it. Maybe tie rods? I'm not a suspension guy, so I'm looking for what I need to be looking for. I need to get it jacked up and have a look obviously, but that won't happen til Friday probably. Any ideas on what I might be looking at? It's fairly loud so I'm hoping I can hone in on where it's coming from, but since it only seems to whine when moving....that's tough...tia
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

    M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

  • #2
    My first thought would be bearings, but I would usually describe the noise as more of a growl than a whine (low pitch vs high pitch). The ones I've changed usually haven't been bad enough to get to the clicking/popping stage. If they get louder when you hit the brakes or turn (any kind of weight transfer onto that corner) then it's almost certainly bearings. I can't think of anything with a higher pitch other than possibly a brake dragging. The S197 series of Mustangs is fairly well known for front bearing issues, so it wouldn't be surprising if that's what was causing the noise.
    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

    Comment


    • #3
      I would suspect the bearing as well. Does the pitch change when you apply the brakes?
      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

      2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower


      Current CI Count - 104

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by GTRocks View Post
        Daughter's 2005 V6 126k has developed a whine. May have multiple issues. Seems like the whine is coming from the front right. It increases in frequency with speed, but unrelated to rpms. Having great difficulty in figuring out what it might be. Noted that it seems to whine more when I turn the wheel +/- 5* or so. I'm thinking bearings, maybe? Any bearings I've had go though tended to have a repetitive clicking noise. There's no clicking or clunking. Bumps seem to not effect it. Maybe tie rods? I'm not a suspension guy, so I'm looking for what I need to be looking for. I need to get it jacked up and have a look obviously, but that won't happen til Friday probably. Any ideas on what I might be looking at? It's fairly loud so I'm hoping I can hone in on where it's coming from, but since it only seems to whine when moving....that's tough...tia
        Just a small question first.

        Having been a member of this site for as long as you have, which I sincerely appreciate, doesn’t it make you feel the slightest bit guilty that the only time you post is when you need help with a problem? Especially these days, when we are teetering on the edge of going dark because of not enough people posting anymore except for when they need help? Personally, I would feel guilty. But that’s just me, I guess.

        Check your wheel bearing.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

        My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
          I would suspect the bearing as well. Does the pitch change when you apply the brakes?
          No noted difference when applying the brakes.
          It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

          M&M Member #33
          '66 Coupe C code
          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

            Just a small question first.

            Having been a member of this site for as long as you have, which I sincerely appreciate, doesn’t it make you feel the slightest bit guilty that the only time you post is when you need help with a problem? Especially these days, when we are teetering on the edge of going dark because of not enough people posting anymore except for when they need help? Personally, I would feel guilty. But that’s just me, I guess.

            Check your wheel bearing.
            Steve, I have been with this site for many years, as you note. It has always been and will (hopefully) always continue to be my Ford home. Please don't interpret my absence as being disinterested in the site. Despite my absence I have recommended this site to many friends, and you have gained quite a few new members over the years because of me. I have been through a bit of a $hit storm recently having lost my old man and I spend a lot of time on the road trying to help mom out. But no, I didn't (until now) feel guilty. Your point is noted, and I will try to be around more. I do sincerely appreciate this site as is indicated by it being my one and only stop for help.
            It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

            M&M Member #33
            '66 Coupe C code
            '01 Saleen S281SC #648

            Comment


            • #7
              Audible concerns, over the Internet, are very hard to diagnose. I try my hardest to stay away from recommending ANY fixes/repairs for issues that start with the words “
              ”noise, whine, growl, etc””....unless I know FOR SURE, from past experience, what the issue is.

              With that said, IF the problem is a bad wheel bearing, I would think you would hear a difference in pitch with speed AND stress on the bearing. Most of the time, with bad wheel bearings, while driving in a straight direction, then veer the steering wheel to the left or right....if the noise gets worse when putting stress on the bad bearing, then THAT is the bad one.

              As a Ford tech, I will tell you that I don’t replace a ton of front wheel bearings on that body style Mustang. That’s not to say the Indy shops aren’t replacing them, or owners aren’t replacing them (because they are VERY easy to replace). Just saying, we don’t see many.

              I know my post didn’t help much. Take the the car out, find a nice long straight road, and swerve back and forth to put stress on the front bearings to see if you can hear a difference in pitch.
              M&M Member #91
              Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

              Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm going against the grain here........check your tires. Last time I developed a whine it turned out to be a tire that had a broken belt. I found out when it blew out 1 mile from home.....new tires, no more whine.
                ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

                "Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                  I'm going against the grain here........check your tires. Last time I developed a whine it turned out to be a tire that had a broken belt. I found out when it blew out 1 mile from home.....new tires, no more whine.
                  Good catch! Cupped tires are notorious for producing hard to diagnose noise.
                  M&M Member #91
                  Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
                  US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

                  Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GTRocks View Post

                    Steve, I have been with this site for many years, as you note. It has always been and will (hopefully) always continue to be my Ford home. Please don't interpret my absence as being disinterested in the site. Despite my absence I have recommended this site to many friends, and you have gained quite a few new members over the years because of me. I have been through a bit of a $hit storm recently having lost my old man and I spend a lot of time on the road trying to help mom out. But no, I didn't (until now) feel guilty. Your point is noted, and I will try to be around more. I do sincerely appreciate this site as is indicated by it being my one and only stop for help.
                    Thanks, I didn’t mean to take it out on you, but our world here is becoming extinct, and we could really use all the help we can get, participation-wise.

                    I am very sorry about the loss of your father, that’s one of life’s worst experiences to go through.
                    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

                    My Mach's restoration progress
                    My Sprint's restoration progress
                    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Update. I actually had gone down the tire path first (great minds). Her tires were worn down and ready to be replaced anyway, so they are brand new. The whine did change pitch when weaving in the lane. Interestingly, I felt that the whine would move to the front left from the front right when weaving. I jacked up the car and was headed down the ball joint path, but no play was noted. They seemed fine. I played with most of the suspension components looking for play, but really didn't find any. I finally pulled the front right tire and tore it down to the spindle. I removed the hub and noted some discoloration (rust color) on the spindle itself. I cleaned it up and inspected the bearing. It didn't seem bad, but at times I thought it seemed stubborn, but it's hard to tell at manual speeds. In the end, I bought a new Moog hub/bearing and replaced. Put it all back together and went for a spin. No whine at all. Even weaving in the lane had no whine. Clearly that was my culprit. Thanks for all the input, I'm very appreciate of all of you willing to point me in the right direction. Daughter is very happy (and safe).

                      And thanks Steve for the sympathy. Yes, losing the old man sucks!
                      It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

                      M&M Member #33
                      '66 Coupe C code
                      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Glad to hear you got it figured out! I'm hoping my front wheel bearings last for a while yet, but I know of several S197 owners that replaced front bearings at lower mileage than mine (which is at 45k).
                        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
                        '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
                        Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Steve68Cougar View Post
                          Glad to hear you got it figured out! I'm hoping my front wheel bearings last for a while yet, but I know of several S197 owners that replaced front bearings at lower mileage than mine (which is at 45k).
                          So this one went 127k before that one went. You need to drive her more!
                          It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

                          M&M Member #33
                          '66 Coupe C code
                          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GTRocks View Post

                            So this one went 127k before that one went. You need to drive her more!
                            Ha Ha! My wife tells me that all the time. I end up using it for car events mostly, so its not a lot of miles, but they are fun ones. It's been on a road course about 7 times, autocrossing about half a dozen times, and probably has over 100 passes down the drag strip. I'm scheduled for another round of road course and drag racing at the Tulsa Shelby meet in June, too.

                            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
                            '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
                            Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X