Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No solenoid juice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over my head then. You may as well take it to a shop that has the equipment for the job. That's the main reason I don't work on late model stuff anymore, they have taken a simple circuit and added a bunch of useless junk to it and made it complex so you'll have to take it back to them.

If it was me, I'd put in a new wire and a starter button and say to hell with it, but I'm cheap.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I'll probably take it in. I hate bypassing the anti-theft. My fear is that I'll be looking at buying a new computer. Hopefully it won't come to that.
      It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
      '66 Coupe C code
      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Originally posted by GTRocks View Post
        There is no solenoid on the firewall. The line comes from the fuse panel, through two different connectors (for unknown reason), and then down to the solenoid which is attached to the starter (one unit). There appears to be no voltage at the first connector, which would imply no voltage coming from the fuse panel. I, unfortunately, don't have a relay tester, so I'm unsure of the voltages at the relay. Went around town yesterday trying to find one unsuccessfully. Advance deems that a specialized piece of equipment.
        Youre on the right path. If the hot wire to the solenoid truly was shorting out against the block, youíve definitely either blown a fuse, burned up a relay or worse, a wire. I would think that circuit is protected if it indeed should have 12v on it.
        There is a 30 amp fuse that protects the positive side of the relay, fuse #4 according to the schematic. You said you checked all fuses, just making sure you checked the right one. If, after you swap the relay out and you still don't have power to the starter, pull the relay back out and check for power with ignition on at pin 30 of the relay, in the junction box. If you have power there, then find C146, pin 1 (yellow/light blue) wire (schematic just says engine compartment right hand side). Plug good relay back in, turn on ignition and check for power there. If you don't have power there, you've got an issue between the junction box and that connector.
        Again, sorry I can't be more help, I hope you have a schematic....or everything I just typed really isn't any help.

BTW, I think Iíve mentioned in past posts that we NEVER install aftermarket electrical components (especially alternators/starters) in our vehicles?
        Last edited by submariner mustanger; 07-09-2018, 09:02 AM.
        M&M Member #91
        Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Yes, Fuse 4 was blown. I since replaced it; still no voltage. Pin 30 has no voltage. So my issue is between the junction box and that connector? That's kind of what I was thinking, but I can't figure out what the issue is.I have swapped the relays around thinking that if the relay was bad, something else now wouldn't work (all the relays are the same P/N). No joy. I have an appointment with the mechanic Friday. I'm anxious to see what he has to say. Not anxious for the bill.

M&M Member #33
          '66 Coupe C code
          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

I just realized after reading your other post about your daughters 2005 Mustang issue, I thought your sons car was the 2005. Went back and re-read....itís the 2010 with the starter issue. I Hope I didnít mislead you in my last post
            Regardless, its frustrating for me reading your posts but not being able to really help because Iím not able to physically see whatís going on. I love these types of challenging repairs....but itís sooo hard to help over the net.
            M&M Member #91
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
              I just realized after reading your other post about your daughters 2005 Mustang issue, I thought your sons car was the 2005. Went back and re-read....itís the 2010 with the starter issue. I Hope I didnít mislead you in my last post
              Regardless, its frustrating for me reading your posts but not being able to really help because Iím not able to physically see whatís going on. I love these types of challenging repairs....but itís sooo hard to help over the net.
              Yeah, I get it. Internet diagnosis is tough. You were spot on with his car too though. That's exactly what's going on. I have two stangs down now. His goes to the shop tomorrow. There is a clutch pedal set on sale on ebay for her car. Seems high at $150 incl shipping, but I may end up getting it. There are a couple of hydraulic lines that go through the firewall that I can't even see, so I'm escairt. That may go to the shop too.

M&M Member #33
              '66 Coupe C code
              '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Originally posted by GTRocks View Post

There are a couple of hydraulic lines that go through the firewall that I can't even see, so I'm escairt. That may go to the shop too.
                Ive never done any clutch pedal work on that model Mustang but had to replace the clutch cylinder on one of my Focusí.....there isnít a lot of room to maneuver down there, and if I ever had to do another, Iíd pay one of my much younger co workers to go it.

M&M Member #91

Comment

Back in my younger years I swapped an automatic tranny (AOD) for a T-5 manual in my '93 5.0. Hardest part of the job was getting the new clutch pedal cage up in place under the dash. People around me learned a few new words that day! Was a great swap in the end tho!

M&M Member #33
                  '66 Coupe C code
                  '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

So I got it back. It was the neutral switch. Turns out the switch I was testing was the cruise control switch!

Hard to believe the starter died the same time that switch died. At least it starts. Now it's developed a rattle while running. Off to investigate that, but I think the brand new OEM starter pin is not retracting. Sounds like it is in constant contact with the flywheel. Dammit man.....

M&M Member #33
                    '66 Coupe C code
                    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Jeez....still raining!
                      M&M Member #91

Comment

Told you it was the clutch switch. Didn't know you were testing the wrong switch though.
                        From what Craig described, more electronic computer nightmare stuff to deal with on these new ones. I'll stick to my golden oldies that I can still work on.
                        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

So I called Ford about the whining. I pulled the starter and ran the model number into Google. Seemed it was for an automatic. Odd that it worked fine initially. I explained to them that the pin was still making contact with the flywheel and my theory that it was for an automatic. She clicked away for quite a while and eventually concluded that their system was ambiguous. If she put in the part number of the starter I had, it cross-referenced to both. If she put in a starter for a manual, it came up with a different one. If she put in my VIN, it came up with the one they sold me. Database alert!

They couldn't get the other one til the middle of the week. I took the old one that Advance sold me back to Advance and explained to them that the solenoid pin was in the wrong position and was shorting to the block and they pulled it up, and guess what? They cross-referenced to two also. The other one had the pin in the right position. They got it the next morning (Saturday), and I had that one installed in no time. Worked fine, so I took the one back to Ford and got my money back. That repair is now in the books.

Now my sunroof on my 2010 F-150 snapped a guide pin. Should leak nicely now. Found a nice youtube video on the repair. One guy said it took him 8 hours. I ordered the kit to repair it, so I have that to look forward to.

Daughters 2005 goes in the shop Tuesday for that clutch pin.

Did a break job on the wife's Flex. Lubed it all up. She's going to NY Monday, so she's now all set.

Tired of rain.....

M&M Member #33
                          '66 Coupe C code
                          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

dang Dave you have had some "fun". hopefully it will all soon be taken care of & cruising will be the only thing to do................

Keith
                            34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                            X