Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 V6 Rear Main Seal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 V6 Rear Main Seal

Had to swap out the boy's clutch. Tore it all down and made the mistake of replacing the rear main seal while I was in there. I cannot get that damed thing out. It's like it's melted in place. It's coming out in 3mm pieces. I even got ahold of the metal ring and pulled on that and actually broke it. I just don't even know what to do with it at this point. I'm beyond frustrated and it's 90 bazillion degrees. My sweat is sweating. I watch all these videos where it just pops out. This sucker does no popping. One little piece at a time. It's like it's half felt/half rubber. Losing my mind....anybody know any tricks?
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

I have it out for the most part, but it's still all wedged in the outer channel. I've been trying to carve it out with a utility knife, but just can't get deep enough into the channel. I don't see how I'm ever going to get it clean enough to insert the new seal. What a mistake this was....

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

wish I could help you Dave ................but I cant........

Keith
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Is there anyway you could snap a picture? It might help us brainstorm.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Here's the before. I need to take an after. I carved the gasket out with a screwdriver and various other tools, but it came out in tiny pieces. It was like it was glued (scorched?) on. I have most of it off now, but there is an outer, very thin channel that I think the outer lip of the gasket is supposed to lay down into, but it is filled with the old gasket. I've been trying to carve it out with a utility knife, but it seems futile. I'm also concerned that I may have damaged the lower edge of the larger channel. Not sure how much this makes sense until I get you an updated pic with the gasket gone.

M&M Member #33
          '66 Coupe C code
          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

The '05-'09s seemed to have a coverplate that you can remove and then the gasket is easily pulled. The '10 has no such plate. There is nothing to remove that would allow for easier removal. Freakin' videos show you just popping it out with a screwdriver. It laughed at me I tell you! I'm concerned I'm going to have to dismantle the block to get the new gasket in there and seal correctly.

M&M Member #33
            '66 Coupe C code
            '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

So I finally got the pic of the gasket semi removed. It's a mess. Looks like chips in the metal, but it's actually chunks of the gasket that still remain in place. Sigh. I made an appointment with the mechanic, but he can't see me until 8/20. Guess he's buried in kids' cars going back to college. I should trade him oil changes for real work. lol

Steve, I loaded fullsize so everyone can zoom in. Please feel free to resize if I'm killing the site.

Rear Main Gasket.JPG

M&M Member #33
              '66 Coupe C code
              '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

I’ve always just run a couple of short self tapping screws 2-3 threads into the seal then popped it out with a trim popper tool.
                Gosh, never seen one get stuck like that.
                M&M Member #91
                Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
                US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                  I’ve always just run a couple of short self tapping screws 2-3 threads into the seal then popped it out with a trim popper tool.
                  Gosh, never seen one get stuck like that.
                  I actually tried that trick. It just laughed at me and the screws just pulled straight back out. I made an appointment with the local mechanic for next Monday. Now I just have to figure out how to tow it over there. Probably get a uhaul dolly.

M&M Member #33
                  '66 Coupe C code
                  '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

I wonder if the neoprene has been vulcanized to the crank due to overheating. I did see an engine once that was like that. We had to pull the crank to clean it completely.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                      I wonder if the neoprene has been vulcanized to the crank due to overheating. I did see an engine once that was like that. We had to pull the crank to clean it completely.
                      To my knowledge it has never overheated, but it is new to us with 60k miles on it. Pulling the crank is exactly what I fear. That would be a hefty bill. From my layman's perspective, I think that's where we're headed. Hoping the mechanic, who has proven himself to me many times previously, has a miracle cure. Not overly optimistic though. I've never come across anything like this.....bounced it off a few shadetree mechanic buddies around here and they're all scratching their heads too.

M&M Member #33
                      '66 Coupe C code
                      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

You never know. Maybe just pulling off the main cap to remove the tension will let it slide off. It will at least give him more purchase on the seal from the side.

Comment

Get it out yet?
                          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Working...
                          X