Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 V6 Rear Main Seal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That stinks. Have you bled the system again yet?
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Again? No. You bleed that one (hydraulic) by just pumping the clutch a bazillion times. Took forever, but that seems ok? I'm guessing the plate wasn't aligned well and maybe we broke it getting the tranny in? I'll find out when I take it all apart AGAIN.
      It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
      '66 Coupe C code
      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

So I pulled it all apart. Boy and I worked most of the afternoon and repulled it. Funny how much faster it went this time. I took lots of pics per the vendor's request. I didn't see anything noticeably wrong. The flywheel, which I just had resurfaced, had a couple very minor scorch marks consistent with the slipping we were feeling. Otherwise, I really didn't see anything wrong. Vendor is sending a new pressure plate, and I requested another clutch alignment tool since the previous one didn't fit in the pilot bearing. Hopefully it comes in soon. Poor kid starts school Monday and wanted to show off his ride.

M&M Member #33
        '66 Coupe C code
        '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

So he wants to use the old pressure plate with the new clutch.....thoughts?

M&M Member #33
          '66 Coupe C code
          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

No! PP is probably the problem! I’d replace everything, clutch, pp, throw out bearing.
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Ok, I thought it a bad idea too, but the PP from the previous clutch did function. I'll wait for the new one. I'm really struggling with what the issue is here. I'm really perplexed about the clutch alignment tool. I pressed the vendor to send me a new tool that actually fit into the pilot bearing. He claimed that they only have one sized tool. It makes no sense to me how you can have an alignment tool that won't fit into the pilot bearing. I am admittedly a shade tree hack mechanic, but you put the pilot bearing in the engine, and then have to put the alignment tool down the center to align the clutch plate. Right? How can they expect to have a clutch alignment tool that doesn't fit in the pilot bearing?

M&M Member #33
              '66 Coupe C code
              '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Does the pilot bearing look ok, and not eggshaped or otherwise deformed?

Old pressure plate with new clutch is a bad idea, and you’ll be back under there again soon.

Comment

You know, it's still in there, so I'm not sure.....I'll have to report back.

M&M Member #33
                  '66 Coupe C code
                  '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Interesting. I climbed under there last night and the pilot bearing seems fine. I still have the flywheel installed, so I couldn't pull it out, but I could slide it back and forth in the back of the engine. I had to tap it in with a hammer. Not sure what to make of that, but it seems perfectly ok. Bearings all seem to be intact and free. Also checked out the throw out bearing. That also seems loose and smooth. We were debating here in the office that the racket when the clutch is in, should logically be in the throw out bearing since that's what's mostly affected by pushing the pedal. I'm at a loss. New pressure plate will be here by Thursday, but FedEx tracker has it already in MD, so I won't be surprised if it shows today/tomorrow.

M&M Member #33
                    '66 Coupe C code
                    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

So after discussing with a lot of gear heads (including you guys), I decided to pull the fly back off and have a look at the pilot bearing. I'm still baffled as to why it was loose in the hole when I had to tap it in with a hammer. So we pulled it apart, and sure enough it was mildly damaged. I'm guessing due to not have the right clutch alignment tool, the tranny shaft must have damaged it. I thought I'd just run down to Advance and get a new pilot bearing, but nobody sells just the pilot bearing for that car. Sigh.

So, I emailed the vendor and told him I wanted a refund and I'm out. Then I went and ordered a new kit which should be in today. First inspection will be whether the clutch alignment tool will fit in the pilot bearing. This poor son of mine is dying to have his car back.

M&M Member #33
                      '66 Coupe C code
                      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

So I got a local clutch kit and we replaced everything. Found that not only was the pilot bearing damaged, but the throw-out bearing was bad too (see pic). I hadn't noticed previously. What a bunch of crap. New one seems fine, but I'm guessing we damaged a wiring harness. I'm getting 8 codes relating to EGR/MAF/O2 sensors. I just took it to the shop. I'm out of patience and the kid needs his car.

M&M Member #33
                        '66 Coupe C code
                        '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

sorry to hear that Dave. I hope it doesnt cost to much, let us know what the problem is/was.............

Keith
                          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Frustrating, for sure.

Comment

Mechanic just called. It's done. We had indeed crushed the wiring harness. He had to wring it all out and replace a few wires. Also blew a few fuses which he replaced. $216 and it's back on a road. Seems reasonable to me. Kid will be on cloud 9 to have his car back and I'll be very glad to have my truck back. Now if I can just get my refund on that first clutch....

M&M Member #33
                              '66 Coupe C code
                              '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

that wasnt bad at all in my opinion.................

Keith
                                34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                                X