My 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2016

Let me just start off by saying, I really love this car. It drive's great, it rides nice, it stops better than anything I've ever owned, it handles great, it's plenty quick for a daily driver and still gets really good gas mileage. That being said, it seems once I paid it off it was like I opened some magical door and things have now started going wrong. Prior to that, the only issue it had was with the AC, and it was a known Ford issue. But since I paid it off, it's been in the shop to get the head gasket replaced because it was leaking in to cylinder number 4, and now I have to replace the evap purge solenoid or whatever Ford calls it. I know that second one isnt a huge issue, it was $55 part and looks to be about a ten minute fix, but when a newer car only has 72K miles on it and two unrelated things go wrong practically right on top of one another, it doesnt give you much confidence the door to constant trouble hasnt been opened. I told KK one more thing in the next 6 months where it needs to go to the shop to get fixed, I'm going to sell it. I've been down that road twice before where a vehicle cost a lot of money to keep running, and by time I decided to get rid of it, it wasnt worth anything (the t-bird and Lightning.) Luckily I bought an extended warranty when I bought this car, so instead of it being $1800 for the head gasket to be replaced it only cost me $100. I'm hoping this is the last thing for awhile, cuz like I said, I really like this car, but I'm not going to keep it if it starts to become a money pit.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Rob, as you are probably well aware, I’ve been harping (more like bitching) about Ford’s ridiculously POOR build quality on just about everything they’ve put out….since about 2015, one of many reasons I got fed up working on their SHYT!

Shyt really started with the 2011 Fiesta/2012 Focus, and their automatic transmissions, which they STILL haven’t figured out a fix for, and are facing multiple class action lawsuits over, but 2015 was really when shyt hit the fan for Ford regarding design, and build quality.

Obviously, there will be a few exceptions, but it is my belief that the engineers at Ford no longer design stuff for longevity…..rather simply design it for easy to assembly, to last 3-4 years, and after that, let the aftermarket warranties deal with the electrical and mechanical gremlins.
    And a final thought…..anybody that owns a Ford product with the words “eco-boost” included in the name?? BETTER HAVE A POWERTRAIN WARRANTY…..at the very least, because you’re gonna need it….as you are already aware.
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Sad state of affairs. These things aren’t exactly bargain priced either. Pam’s Edge has been good so far, but I keep expecting the shoe to drop.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Of course Craig, working at a dealership, you were only going to see the bad stuff. You werent going to see the countless other folks who bought a new car and never had any issues. We have not had one problem with KK's 2014 Escape, knock on wood. I mean, nothing. Unless you want to count the third brake late burning out and it needing a new battery two years ago.
        The funny thing is, we own three ecoboost motors, and the newest one, the one with the least miles on it, is the only one that has had any issues so far. Maybe all three of them will crap out at some point, who knows. But with as many ecoboost motors there are on the road, I do not think it is inherently a bad design.
        I also dont think this is a "Ford" specific issue, I think every brand has problems now. A coworker bought a Honda van, and paid A LOT of money for it. They've had all grades of problems with that thing, and Honda is supposed to be the pinnacle of reliability.
        Another coworker is on his second new Tundra. The first one sounded like every bolt in it was only halfway tight when it went down the road. I had never heard a new car with so many rattles in it.
        I debated a long time before I posted about the car. So many people dont like the body style, they dont like the engine platform, they dont like new cars in general, I really had to think about if it was going to be worth it. I may have chosen poorly. LOL
        Rob Hetzler
        M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
        Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I remember the days when folks didn’t have to buy extended warranties on their cars…..today it’s an absolute necessity…..if you plan on keeping the car longer than 3-5 years.
          My post was really more out of simple frustration at how poorly vehicles are made today. Getting a decent warranty is the smartest thing anyone can do.
          M&M Member #91
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

That is what makes buying used scary nowadays------you don't know the hidden problems that might rise up to bite you in the butt. I have been against all these turboed vehicles for a while. Knowing how little maintenance some of them will get, it makes shopping harder. Turbos require good oil and frequent changes, and if one goes south, expect major problems.

But my experience with aftermarket warranties hasn't been exactly stellar, either. They only pay what they want to, and have them worded so that most of them only cover the major items like the block and heads, but make it look like you have full factory style coverage. And they may place a dollar amount total that they will pay out, not good if you get unlucky like I did and have a couple of covered breakdowns that deduct from the total amount they will pay out, then when you have another major breakdown they won't pay but a portion of the bill. I'm not saying all of them operate that way, I'm sure there are a few good ones out there, but most of them are a waste of money.

I tend to shy away from vehicles with risky stuff like turbos and blowers for that very reason. It's like gambling, you pay your money and take your chances, I prefer to enhance my chances by avoiding things that might give me a major headache down the road....
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

But my experience with aftermarket warranties hasn't been exactly stellar, either. They only pay what they want to, and have them worded so that most of them only cover the major items like the block and heads, but make it look like you have full factory style coverage. And they may place a dollar amount total that they will pay out, not good if you get unlucky like I did and have a couple of covered breakdowns that deduct from the total amount they will pay out, then when you have another major breakdown they won't pay but a portion of the bill. I'm not saying all of them operate that way, I'm sure there are a few good ones out there, but most of them are a waste of money.

I tend to shy away from vehicles with risky stuff like turbos and blowers for that very reason. It's like gambling, you pay your money and take your chances, I prefer to enhance my chances by avoiding things that might give me a major headache down the road....
              Warranties can differ tremendously. Always buy the factory one if offered. If not offered, because car is too old or has too many miles, then always read the contracts. I work for a warranty company, but still purchased a Ford extended warranty for our 2017 Escape.

A good warranty will spell out exactly what it covers and what it doesn’t, and should also tell what the “limit of liability” is. A good warranty company will also make the limit of liability what the price of the car was. Anything else, and you should stay away. The warranty company I work for has been in business since 1984, and is now owned by ZURICH North America, so they have an excellent financial backing (not going to take your money and then go out of business).

M&M Member #91

Comment

Working...
              X