Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neighborhood project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey jonnie, thanks for your interest, progress has been slow, been really busy at my regular job. But I'm getting there! It's all in gray filler primer now, just about ready to finish the door jambs. That black spot down at the bottom isn't a hole, it's a surface rust spot that I brushed a little rust converter on.

Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
    71 F-250 4x2
    88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Still have some fine-tuning to do after the jambs are done, but not too much.

Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
      71 F-250 4x2
      88 F-150 4X2

Comment

It is looking good.
        Mike & Robin Grentus
        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
        M&M Member #- 890
        MCA #- 4549
        My 69 Coupe build album
        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Thanks MIke! I normally use a non-sanding gray sealer on jamb areas just 20 minutes or so before spraying the color, but in this case I used white epoxy since I had so many sand-thru's to bare metal. Gave it 3 hours of dry time, then did the base blue and clear. I've always been one to follow label directions to the letter, but bent the rules just slightly this time. SPI recommends against using epoxy over any kind of rust converter, which I used in a spot or two on these jamb areas. They were only used on a couple of small spots, not a big area, and dried about a week, so I'm sure this primer over them this time will work fine.

I like to use the red oxide epoxy for prep work, makes it easy to see just where it is when sanding the gray filler primer. But I used white to seal the jamb areas, it's more of a neutral color that the blue should cover the same as it does the gray.
          Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
          71 F-250 4x2
          88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
            71 F-250 4x2
            88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Also did that little strip of color that goes just under that chrome strip at the roof line, back to the top of the quarter panel, that will make it easier to just tape that whole area off when doing the main paint job.

My 2 bay garage is a little cluttered right now, (2 pickup cabs on one side, imagine that ) So the plan is now to get the hood and truck lid off and set them aside. Then finish prepping the main body and get it painted. Then we'll take the car down to it's owners garage for a couple of weeks, and I'll use that freed-up space to hang and paint the rest of the parts; hood, deck lid, taillight and headlight bezels, etc. Then I'll get it back and put it all together.
              Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
              71 F-250 4x2
              88 F-150 4X2

Comment

What paint system are you using Marc? Looking good!
                1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
                347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.44 @ 125.97

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
                244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                  What paint system are you using Marc? Looking good!
                  Thanks Poppy, the blue base coat is PPG's "Omni" brand, mixed by my local jobber to the car's paint code, the primers (epoxy and hi-build urethane) as well as the "Universal Clear" are from Southern Polyurethanes.
                  Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                  71 F-250 4x2
                  88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Nice. That's one of my favorite colors.
                    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                    My Mach's restoration progress
                    My Sprint's restoration progress
                    I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
                    Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

For the money, tuff to beat PPG's Omni line. Have done a few golf carts and a couple Jr Dragsters in it with great results. Will be spraying a '72 Monte with it this winter as well. Lookin' good!

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Omni is PPG's "budget" line, but I've always been satisfied with it - the only difference I can see is that it possibly takes an extra coat or two to cover as well as their premium bases do, but it's way cheaper in price. If it's quality is less I'm not too concerned since I'm sandwiching it between SPI's products. SPI stuff is always 'premium', their literature says everything they make is top-of-the-line or they won't make it. Will you be clearing the Monte? I highly recommend SPI's universal clear!
                        Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                        71 F-250 4x2
                        88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Yes we are. Who carries the SPI? I usually clear with HOK's Kosmic Show Klear but haven't used it in a while and and wide open to options. Sand and buff nicely?

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Yes it does, if you choose to. I've never liked to buff, I like the way it looks unpolished. Their webpage is easy to find, just call them and they'll ship it to your door.

[Sorry Steve, I know you don't completely approve of advertising, I'll stop it at this point]
                            Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                            71 F-250 4x2
                            88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Originally posted by fordtrucker View Post
                              Yes it does, if you choose to. I've never liked to buff, I like the way it looks unpolished. Their webpage is easy to find, just call them and they'll ship it to your door.

[Sorry Steve, I know you don't completely approve of advertising, I'll stop it at this point]
                              No problem, M&M is on life support these days, so that's not a big deal anymore. Thanks for taking that into consideration, though.

I used SPI products on my Sprint restoration, it's good stuff and the owner Barry has some of the best customer service I've experienced. He quickly answered every question my painter and I came up with within minutes, even on nights and weekends! I'd send him an question by email on a Sunday night at 7 fully expecting him to respond on Monday or Tuesday then be shocked that he'd have an answer for me twenty minutes later. Good man.

Here's their contact info: https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/
                              '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                              My Mach's restoration progress
                              My Sprint's restoration progress
                              I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
                              Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

That kind of customer service may be a sign that SPI is also on "life support" these days! It's a shame that M&M is in such a state. I'm guessing that we're simply not populated by enough young hipsters and that maybe too many newcomers get into "The Pit" and get scared off by the number of "Repugs" around there?
                                Just Sayin'
                                Gene
                                To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
                                '68 coupe/5.0/T5
                                '69 F250
                                '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
                                '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Working...
                                X