Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neighborhood project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An inspiration for me as I have put on hold a 66 coupe that needs a pinch more work before sanding.

Comment

This job was supposed to take 2 or 3 months, and ended up taking 10 months. I had the busiest year ever with my dump truck job, and it needed some work this year too. My neighbors never rushed me at all on this, and I really do appreciate it.
      Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
      71 F-250 4x2
      88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
        71 F-250 4x2
        88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Took 3 full days to get the bumpers and chrome all back on! (that front bumper is a pain on these things)
          Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
          71 F-250 4x2
          88 F-150 4X2

Comment

I'm not the best photographer, and in this case it might be a good thing. This is a heavy metallic, and the Omni brand paint didn't cover like I expected it to. If I had to do it over, I'd spend the extra money and go for a top-line basecoat. The label directions said 2 or 3 coats, I did 3 coats and fogged the last 2, and in certain lighting some mottling can be seen, but it's not bad enough to do over. As I said, it's a budget job. I am going to do the hood over though, it's a little thin around the edges, and it mottled worse than the rest. The owner needs to work on the engine, he'll keep it in his garage for a while yet, so I told him we'll get that hood out of his way for about a week, and I'll spray it again. (that's why the chrome at the front of the hood is missing.

But I'm generally satisfied with it, now the neighbors all love me, (the owners, and other neighborhood admirers) I probably made about 50 cents an hour on it. Glad it's done, time to get back to some Ford trucks!!!
            Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
            71 F-250 4x2
            88 F-150 4X2

Comment

I like it. so what could be done to make it better, a few more coats of paint ?
              34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
                I like it. so what could be done to make it better, a few more coats of paint ?
                The only thing that could be done now would be to wet sand it with 500 or 600 grit, give it probably 2 more coats of basecoat, then re-clear with 2 or 3 more coats. It wouldn't take a ton of time if most of the chrome that I took off before was just masked this time. But it's hard to do that without it being obvious that it was done that way. No way to get good coverage around the bumpers if they were just masked. Not worth it on this job, the owners haven't picked it up yet, but they came up and looked right after it was sprayed, before I put the chrome on, and they were very happy.

When I painted it, the temp was kept at 65 - 70 degrees the whole time. Warm enough, but I probably made a mistake by using a mid-temp reducer in the base coat rather than a faster drying one. I just wasn't thinking, but I'd say that would have helped me as much as anything to control the metallic better. That, combined with my 63 year old eyes not being able to tell it wasn't as even as it should have been before I put the clear on. My garage is 26' x 32', with a 10' ceiling, but even a space that big gets fogged up pretty bad making it hard to see. I have an air supplied respirator, and I paint with no exhaust fan. I've always done it that way, it doesn't affect how the paint dries at all.
                Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                71 F-250 4x2
                88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Sure looks great. Good job, sir!
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Thanks Steve!
                    Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                    71 F-250 4x2
                    88 F-150 4X2

Comment

That does look good! Nice progress pics too! Thanks for posting it all.
                      1968 Fastback
                      90 5.0 HO
                      T-5
                      Modern leather buckets
                      Front Disc
                      2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Working...
                      X