Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

66 coupe power steering problems..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 coupe power steering problems..

I would like to pick a few brains here .. My best car buddy Drives a 66 mustang GT . Last night He mentioned to me ,, When he first starts the car to back out of his garage That the power steering is almost impossible to turn . But by the time he gets to my house ,, Approx 2 miles ,,, It feels normal .. What should we be looking into this spring,, Pump ,, Valve assembly ,, or the power steer cylinder ??? He also complains that on the cylinder,, the line keep loosening up. and noted that's a lot of movment for the whole rack an pinion and thinks that all that movement is loosening the lines .. It is only a drip here and there and we tighten it up , but it keeps loosening.. I told him maybe new lines are in order and the flairs have been over-tightened to the point that they leak... Any thoughts sodi

P S he also mentioned the horrible groan when trying to turn the wheel . kinda like it's out of fluid sound But it's not .. Thanks..........
    Jim Soderberg

70 Mach 1
    Arest-me-red paint
    351W 4sp ,4bbl,Hooker sup-comp, magnaflow stainless

Sounds like the pump is going bad. The leaks are probably worn out lines. Sounds like he's in for a redo of the entire system.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

X2, I agree it sounds like a bad pump.
      Mike & Robin Grentus
      69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
      08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
      00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
      99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
      14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
      M&M Member #- 890
      MCA #- 4549
      My 69 Coupe build album
      http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

While I can understand the desire to keep the stock/standard power steering system and components, I must say that the absolute best semi bolt-on upgrade I've ever done on my '68 Coupe was converting to a Borgeson steering box! I realize it's a little bit more work on the 65 to early 67 cars, but well worth the effort and $$$. It gives good road feedback and a modern steering feel at the wheel that the ram system simply does not deliver. It also retains a generally stock appearance, same clearances, (except for stock Z-bar) without the surgery, pitfalls and mods required for a rack and pinion setup. On my car, I was able to correct for the shortfall of the Ford pump at under 800 RPM by using a three sheave crank pulley, that has the outer sheave being a larger diameter, intended for for air conditioning and it spins the stock Ford pump just that little bit enough faster!

Read up on the conversion:

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=60

Just My $.02,
        Gene
        To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
        '68 coupe/5.0/T5
        '69 F250
        '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
        '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Working...
        X