Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looked at a 67 today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looked at a 67 today

I spotted a 67 for sale in a town about 30 miles away from me last week. This afternoon we went to go eat, but our favorite Mexican place was closed while they were doing some construction work, so we decided to go about 20 miles away to the next town and eat at the place there that is owned by the same family as our favorite. While we were eating, I happened to remember the 67, so when we got through we rode the extra mile and looked at it. It was a 50 footer to say the least. Body looked pretty sound, but there were several dents and dings that should have been worked more before it was painted. Paint was awful up close, lots of orange peel and the clear coat was peeling in a few spots. You'd have to color sand it to ever get it smooth, and you'd probably end up removing all the clear in the process. Interior was fair, dash pad was warped really bad, headliner was full of wrinkles, carpet had a huge whiteish looking stain {black carpet} under the brake pedal, I figure the cowl was leaking. Seats were fair, looked like a old recover job with a good bit of wear. Engine was a small block with headers, aluminum intake and 4 barrel, rusty chrome valve covers, dry, didn't see any oil leaks. Had pretty good looking off brand tires on some turbine mags painted body color {blue} between the spokes. Saw one rust bubble on one of the rear fender lips that had been painted over instead of being addressed first. Quarters felt solid, but could have been full of putty judging from the rest of the car. In other words, it would have had to have been totally stripped and done over to please me. Had $7500 on the windshield, too high I thought with what had to be done to get it right.

1967 is my favorite year Mustang, I've had two of them and one 68, but prefer the 67 side scoops and grill. Wife likes them too, we'd trade the Firebird for a good one in a heartbeat, but that one wasn't close to what I'd call a good one, more of a good start to one. I don't have time to build another one right now, heck I don't even have enough time to get my 47 going, so one like that is just too much. She really wants a 46-48 Ford Tudor sedan, but those aren't exactly falling out of the trees at good prices either.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Keep looking, one will turn up.
    Mike & Robin Grentus
    69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
    08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
    00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
    99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
    14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
    M&M Member #- 890
    MCA #- 4549
    My 69 Coupe build album
    http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Yeah, I'm not in any hurry. I just spotted the 67 and remembered how much we both like them. I search Craigslist pretty often. The Firebird is a super nice car, it just doesn't suit us either one too much. Not really comfortable, too new to get much attention. I don't want to sell it though until I get mine back on the road and finished.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

An added attraction for me on a '67 is that due to the stupidity of smog regulations in my area, a '67 doesn't need to get smog tested, but a '68 does! I totally agree with the nicer side "scoop" and grill comments! Also, the '67 steering column supports the easierer/cheaperer use of a wider variety of steering wheels. All that said, my main driver is a '68!
        Happy Motoring,
        Gene
        To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
        '68 coupe/5.0/T5
        '69 F250
        '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
        '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

I had a Grant wood wheel on my 68 Gene. It used the same adapter that I had used on my last 67. The 68 wheel only looks different because of the huge horn pad, AFAIK, the splines and shaft size are the same, or at least they were on mine.

Comment

I agree, seems pretty high for such a "project" but maybe they'd take less if your looking for something to tinker with. Tell 'em $5,500 and start wrenching! LOL
            1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
            347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
            363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
            244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Naw Poppy, I don't need another project right now. If I do get something else it's gonna be pretty much finished. Now after I get the Lincoln finished, I don't know. I'm not getting any younger, and it takes me longer to do things now than it did 20 years ago. I've got the drive and desire to do another one or two, just don't see the time or finances unless something changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                Naw Poppy, I don't need another project right now. If I do get something else it's gonna be pretty much finished. Now after I get the Lincoln finished, I don't know. I'm not getting any younger, and it takes me longer to do things now than it did 20 years ago. I've got the drive and desire to do another one or two, just don't see the time or finances unless something changes.
                That’s the smart way to go, I think. Lately I’ve been thinking that if I ever bought another, which I doubt I ever will, it would be a low mileage unrestored car. When you think about the costs in terms of money and labor, you’d come out ahead and be driving much sooner.
                '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                My Sprint's restoration progress
                ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Bobby,
                  In regards to the steering column/wheel conundrum, yes the shaft is the same, allowing the use of "after market" wheel interchange, however the collar is different, making it tough to use a cooler, earlier year OEM style wheel, like those cool ones that were available in '67 or even the nice ones from '65 & '66! '68 steering wheels are just SO butt fugly!
                  Just Sayin'
                  Gene
                  To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
                  '68 coupe/5.0/T5
                  '69 F250
                  '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
                  '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Don't remember that Gene. I know the aftermarket Grant kit fit fine and looked factory, maybe I bought it just for my 68 , too many years gone by to remember now.

Comment

Working...
                    X