Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydroboost Brakes - Yea or Nea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydroboost Brakes - Yea or Nea?

I called myself searching for this topic but couldn't find anything. What's the consensus on hydroboost brakes in a classic Mustang? Taboo? Crazy? Won't work?
    David G.
    1969 Mustang Sportsroof
    1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
    2002 Supercrew Lariat
    Mustangsandmore Member # 1964

If you upgrade to a good disc system I feel there is no need for the hydroboost. just my opinion...................

Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Are you running a vacuum booster today? Is power steering installed?

My thought is anything that makes the car more enjoyable to drive, I say go for it. HB setups have a ton of plumbing involved but if you are already running a power steering, it's not horrible. If the car has already been converted to a rack, then it's simple. The reason I ask about the existing vacuum brakes is the booster rod connection location is different at the pedal arm than it is for manual brakes. It's not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

The advantage HB has over vacuum is you aren't dependent on engine vacuum to run them. So, you are allowed more overlap on the cam, etc. and still get functional creature comforts.
      Rick Stevens
      Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
      - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
      - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

I have non-power disc brakes (front only) from MPB on my 69 now and it requires substantial pedal pressure. It's in the works to install a booster but those canisters take up a lot of room. I have factory power steering now and we all know that it's not the best out there and I'm thinking a hydroboost system will match up nicely with a Borgeson PS conversion.
        David G.
        1969 Mustang Sportsroof
        1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
        2002 Supercrew Lariat

Comment

On my 68, I'm running factory 73 discs with a 1974 maverick non-power master cylinder. To me the brakes don't require much pedal pressure at all, even my wife hasn't complained about it when she drove it. Maybe you need to look at the bore size on your master and go from there.
          1968 Fastback
          90 5.0 HO
          T-5
          Modern leather buckets
          Front Disc
          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Originally posted by white68stang View Post
            On my 68, I'm running factory 73 discs with a 1974 maverick non-power master cylinder. To me the brakes don't require much pedal pressure at all, even my wife hasn't complained about it when she drove it. Maybe you need to look at the bore size on your master and go from there.
            Good suggestion. Thanks!
            David G.
            1969 Mustang Sportsroof
            1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
            2002 Supercrew Lariat

Comment

I had non power discs on my Maverick, pedal effort was normal, like drums. You may need to swap to the Maverick disc master, I agree with white68stang, sounds like you bore is too large for non power application.
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Working...
              X