No announcement yet.

Carb Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since it started after the new exhaust install, it does sound like a vacuum issue. Get a can of starting fluid, and carefully spray a short burst around any vacuum lines and connections you have with the engine idling. If the RPM increases, there will be your leak. If you have an automatic, I'd look carefully at the modulator vacuum line. You could have knocked it loose or maybe the new exhaust burned a hole in it.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

It is an automatic. That's a good thought. I will check. I looked at the harmonic, and it is bare (original), so I'm not even sure how you deal with that? The nice YT videos show a bright sticker showing the timing. Would I go find a timing sticker, move to TDC, and apply the sticker? Not sure how you would set that originally, or maybe it's inscribed and just worn down to the point of not being readily visible? It is the original distributor to my knowledge. It sounds a little funny to me, so I really am suspicious of a vacuum leak (I feel like I can hear air flow), but I didn't notice anything obviously not hooked up.
      It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
      '66 Coupe C code
      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Update: My son came home this week and we investigated a bit more. I was pretty convinced we were chasing a vacuum leak. I had him run the car and I went around with some butane hunting for a change in pitch. Surprisingly, I didn't get any change in pitch. He choked it a bit and came hunting with me (normally, you couldn't leave it running without some gas or it would stall). As he poked around with me, he stuck his head under and behind the card and said he could feel air on his face. He stuck his hand back there and felt the same gush from the back of the carb. Turns out when he put the new carb on, he didn't transfer the plug at the back. Purring like a kitten....
        Last edited by GTRocks; 10-29-2020, 09:02 AM.

M&M Member #33
        '66 Coupe C code
        '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Funny how a simple plug will screw up everything. Good detective work, glad you got her fixed.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

congratulations on the fix !

thanks for the answer to the problem.....
            34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

GTRocks,
              Good job with the fix! Double header to do it with your son!

Ryan
              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Yeah, to be honest it's my son that puts a foot up my butt (which I need). Lol.

M&M Member #33
                '66 Coupe C code
                '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Working...
                X