Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MY 1968 Coupe Restomod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY 1968 Coupe Restomod

I've had this car for about 3 years working on it a little than it would sit a long time and than work on it again a little and than sit untouched for a long time. We did all the rust repair new floor pans, one torque box and the trunk floor in 2006. I flared the fenders and rear quarters using metal. Toward the end of the year I decided it was time to finish this project. It is hard to find the time to work on your own when you have customer cars to paint. We are working a couple of hours at night and weekends.

Here it is before we started

Cut out the rusted floor pans and replaced

We have installed Rod & Custom coil over front and rear suspension crossmembers and getting the bottom of the body ready for epoxy primer.
    I will post more pictures as I have time.
    Rusty Gillis

Gillis Performance Restorations
    727-847-7973
    www.gillisrestorations.com

Former NHRA SS/GA Record Holder 1969 Mustang
    Former NHRA SS/FA Record Holder 1968 Mustang

Very nice work!!
    '64 Falcon Futura 2dr hdtp. 289 4 speed.
    '90 Mustang LX Coupe. 5.0. Aod.

Comment

I added about 1 1/4" to the fender flare

Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

Looks good!!!
        Can't wait to see it finished!!!unk:
        Jeff

Member #4179

1969 Falcon
        1971 Grabber
        1984 Mustang

Comment

Looks great Rusty!!! I think it's MANDATORY for the 67/8's to come with those wheels, mine had them on it when I bought it too.
          William
          Semper Fidelis

One
          Big
          Ass
          Mistake
          America

Comment

whats the story with the Merkur? I see a rare piece sitting on the rear latch too!
            Brian

BCP Custom on Facebook

Comment

I LOVE fat tires. I'm thinkin' some REAL big fatties under those flared fenders are in the plan. Please tell me I'm right. Can't wait to see.
              Jerry Cooper
              66' Coupe, Wide Ratio Toploader, 9" 3.25 Traction Loc
              302 .060 over, Solid Lifter,294 adv. duration, 246 @ .050,.544 lift
              Eddy RPM intake, Autolite 1.12 Carb,
              Hooker Comp. Headers, Dynomax Super Turbos, Flowmaster 2 1/2" Mandrel bent, H pipe
              MSD RTR, Blaster2 Coil
              70' 351W Heads home port job, 9.5 to 1 CR
              15" Styled Steel Wheels, KYB Gas adjust Shocks
              620 1" Lowered front springs, 1" Front Sway Bar,Rear Sway Bar, Shelby Traction Bars

Comment

Some nice workunk: Not a flare person but those are done right and look right.Looking forward to seeing more. My favorite kind of pics!
                1968 Mustang Convertible aka "Tru Blu"

Comment

Great pics Rusty ..... I've been to Rusty's shop and seen his work. Terrific ! :banana:
                  Keep 'em coming !
                  Eddie "D"
                  '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                  "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                  M&M Member #339.

Comment

Merkur

The Merkur project has stalled at this point. My brother has a company www.boostvalve.com that makes boostvalves for turbo cars. He has owned a Merkur since it was new and I talked him into making a race car out of an old parts car he had. We have spent alot of time and money to get it to this point and it still needs alot of $$$$$$ to finish. It has a 2.0 Cosworth engine (the cam cover is now red). You can see more pictures of it at www.g2motorsport.com.

Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

What color are you going with on the 68?
                      Ed S.
                      M&M #411

68 S-code FB GT , 68 J-code Sprint"B" , 2015 F350 XLT Crew Cab

“Somewhere in Kenya a village is missing its idiot."

Comment

Top of the car black and the sides red. I will be using www.southernpolyurethanes.com red that has no orange in it just a pure red.
                        Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

Originally posted by rusty428cj View Post
                          The Merkur project has stalled at this point. My brother has a company www.boostvalve.com that makes boostvalves for turbo cars. He has owned a Merkur since it was new and I talked him into making a race car out of an old parts car he had. We have spent alot of time and money to get it to this point and it still needs alot of $$$$$$ to finish. It has a 2.0 Cosworth engine (the cam cover is now red). You can see more pictures of it at www.g2motorsport.com.

Back in England those were called Sierra Cosworths (a Ford Sierra)
                          Those were bad little cars, more than capable of putting a hurt on a BMW M3.

I hope you get that on the road someday, that would be something unique to see.
                          Phil Ball
                          68 mustang coupe
                          331 engine, AFR185 heads, comp270s cam, 650DP, Airgap manifold, C4 trans.

Comment

We stripped all paint and undercoat off and welded up all the seams

Subframe connectors and Rod & Custom Motorsports rear crossmembers welded in

Test fitting the rear suspension so the rear sway bar brackets can be welded in. Found out the sway bar was to long.
                            This was their second kit that I've had for awhile and they now have a 2" shorter sway bar which they sent me.

Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

that's looking really good over there.

those Merkur's are nice cars. (over here they are called Sierra's,) when properly built, those things put out well above 400hp!! unk:
                              72 Grandé , 351C,4-speed,3.89 gears, 4-linked rear = tons of fun!

back on track!

Comment

Working...
                              X