Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding motivation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding motivation

Lately for me motivation has been elusive, due to some health problems and a few other problems I've been dealing with, but you sometimes just have to put one foot in front of the other just to get things started rolling.

I'm considering, and probably decided, to update the electrical harness in the Sprint to an aftermarket harness. I regret not doing this to my Mach, I'm questioning the wisdom of relying on 40+ year old electrics. In looking over the offerings, I seem to like the Ron Francis stuff the most. The one I'm looking at is reasonably priced, pretty basic, made in the USA, and backed by a lifetime warranty. I sent an email and was shocked to get a response the next day, rare these days. They recommended a setup the next level up from what I was looking at, the difference being upgradability and 21 circuits vs 12. I wanted basic, but maybe I should consider upgradability for the future. The price difference is $285 vs $459 or so. Others companies I've look at seem to be in the $700-800 range for virtually the same thing.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

I was checking out your pages the other day for an update on the Sprint, was wondering where you were at with it.

I've never done an electrical upgrade to anything, so I don't know anything about the quality of the parts you are looking at or any others for that matter, but thought I'd chime in and say that I'd definitely do it, especially when you've got the car apart to the point you do.

I assume the wiring kit comes with ample instructions as to what goes where and why, and would make sure you have plenty of tech support if you have any questions, but I'm sure its pretty straight forward.

Would think the peace of mind is worth the cost, especially since you now wish you had re-done the '70. Keep us posted with pics on the new wiring, will be neat to see how good it looks after.
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I too, have considered doing a complete re-wire job on one or more of my old iron horses......

I'd be happy to hear from someone here who has done such a feat - please chime in and let us all know if it is a BIG TASK or a not-so-big task...... Ron Francis, Painless, or other similar kit suppliers.

Ryan
      Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I upgraded my 68 and it was worth it. I used an EZ wiring harness, and it was about $180 eleven years ago.

The ez was very basic, I used the 21 circuit set up. I just coiled a short section of wire from the unused portions and pulled the fuse. The ez setup did not include sockets and plugs, but mine were in good shape, so it worked fine for me at the time (24 and not a lot of money) That said, I wouldn't mind spending more on it now, or mounting the fuse block in the trunk and extending wires.
        1968 Fastback
        90 5.0 HO
        T-5
        Modern leather buckets
        Front Disc
        2001 Bullit Green

Comment

I don't know about the Francis stuff, but most harness use a GM style harness, with GM plugs. If it's got Ford plugs and is Ford style, that is a plus in my opinion. I used a 21 circuit harness from Speedway on my Lincoln, and it has the GM style plugs. No big deal for me, as I'm going to be using a GM steering column anyway. Really, the plugs are probably not that hard to swap for the Ford ones. Mine said Made in USA on the box, but who knows anymore, that might have just been the box. Mine didn't come with any bulb sockets, only the plugs for the headlights. The instructions that came with mine were pretty good, but could have been better.

One thing to look for is marked wiring, mine is marked every six inches with what the wire goes to, it makes it a lot easier to route and hook up, especially if you use a loom to contain the wires in. I used a woven style loom that looks very much like the old cloth covering my wires originally had. You will I'm sure want something different that what I used.

Rebel is another brand that is supposed to be good. I've never used it, but several friends have and were very happy with it. Also supposedly USA made.

I see a couple of posts since I started typing this. I will say it's a big task, prepare to spend a couple of days on it, but if you start at the rear and work forward, it's not too bad. My thing was I was trying to make my wiring "disappear", and still look somewhat factory where it did show. You have to have a basic knowledge of wiring, but it you have a good diagram and can follow instructions, anybody can do it.

My experience with Painless is to stay away from them. I bought a VW bug harness from them a few years back, it was terrible. It didn't even have wires for the turn signals, I ended up making my own. And believe it or not, the whole thing was 2 foot too short! It wouldn't route in the factory location above the door, I had to run it across the floor. Soured me real good on Painless. They may be better now, I don't know, but I'm scared to try them again.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

The Francis kit I'm looking at does use Ford connectors and is marked all along the wires. Bobby, I do plan on using that loom covering you did, I like that look.

This is the kit I'm really considering:
            http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WR%2D75

Here's the one they recommended in the email:
            http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP%2D727

I'm getting up some questions for them, like if I can use the NOS headlight switch I have instead of their included switch.

You guys gave me other names to check out, thanks.
            "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Steve, here the one I have been looking at;

http://www.americanautowire.com/view...-ford-mustang/
              Mike & Robin Grentus
              69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
              08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
              00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
              99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
              14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
              M&M Member #- 890
              MCA #- 4549
              My 69 Coupe build album
              http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

That looks like a nice setup, a little spendy but it has some nice features and is specific to your car. I watched Jeff Ford install one in one of his videos, it looks good with just a couple details he had to correct. Minor things I'm sure you'll run into regardless of which harness you pick.

Comment

I am not trying to spend anyone`s money but I am a big fan of Ron Francis products.
                  every electrical item I have replaced on my coupe with a Ron Francis product is still going strong. I cant say the same for other manufacturers.
                  their customer service is awesome. unk: just my 2 cents.
                  34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Ron Francis is offering a free shipping weekend so I finally got off my duff and ordered a harness. They do seem to have great customer service, Ron Francis himself was answering my questions before I placed the order.

Comment

I would take the fact that the boss is answering your questions to be a good sign.
                      Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
                      '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
                      Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

I think you will be happy with it. If my budget had been larger or I had been willing to wait and save up more, I might have went that route, too.
                        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                        -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
                        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I'm good at waiting, that's why my builds take forever. I refuse to carry a balance on credit cards so I wait. {...and wait, and wait, and wait...}

Comment

I used an AAW harness on my FFR build and was really happy with it. I supplemented it by soldering and shrink tubing all connectors I installed as well as using weatherpack or molex type connectors to make the system more service friendly down the road.
                            Rick Stevens
                            Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
                            - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
                            - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

We solder and shrink tube everything. I've been thinking of using Weatherpak connectors.

Comment

Working...
                              X