Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding motivation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Witthoeft View Post
    I too sometimes lack motivation. ..even though I'm retired, this having a bad back sucks!...fortunately I have a patient wife who likes my cars.
    Dave I feel for you, I know all to well what a bad back will do to your motivation. I have been living with a bad back since I was 23 y.o. & I will be 59 in Dec.
    Mike & Robin Grentus
    69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
    08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
    00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
    99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
    14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
    M&M Member #- 890
    MCA #- 4549
    My 69 Coupe build album
    http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Steve & all,
      So how is the drive for general motivation and inspiration working out these days for everyone?

I'm hoping for a better Spring/Summer in those departments around my place......
      oh yeah,,,then there is the matter of the severe lack of funding in the hot rod budget....
      Sure, I've been trying to sell off some stuff that I likely won't use again, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on selling off the 'front line' stuff just yet....
      .....but dang,,,, the personal health thing is a pain (literally) and it makes the "free" time even more precious.....

I know that age is simply a number on my driver's license. I sometimes think I am just being stubborn in not accepting/realizing my current conditions and likely future conditions.... I simply do not want to sell off all of my hot rod stuff and just be (un-)happy with gardening, yard work, hunting/target shooting and just WATCHING drag racing..... It seemed I waited and wanted to be a DRAG RACER for soooo long,,,, it seemed as though it took forever to build up my hot rod the first time.....then when I finally was able to take my hot rod to my local strip,,,and was making passes....I was in heaven! Then suddenly my world - economy, job, income, family, changed....and now I'm a just a DRAG RACING FAN again - instead of being a DRAG RACER............ and I want it back!!!!

I read about the frustrations of Kid Viscus (Rob H) with his white 'cleve-powered hot rod....and I can relate, but KV is still out there fighting the good fight and wrenching on his ride.... I really admire your push, KV!! I want to / need to get back to that place too.

Ok, enough of my ranting....... WISHING EVERYONE A GREAT DAY!

Ryan
      Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Ryan, a lot of us have been here at M&M a long time. And a lot of us grew old together. I was 54 years old when I joined this great place. Next \month I'll be 71 !!

In those 16, 17 years, I've had a right hip replacement, two very complicated, major back surgeries IN A TWO MONTH PERIOD, and vascular surgery on my right carotid artery.
        I've got Titanium rods, nuts, bolts and screws in my back, and who knows what material in my new bionic hip.
        I still live in constant, chronic pain in my back, and my peripheral neuropathy keeps both of my legs in constant and pretty severe pain.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining ... but truly I AM NOT !! I know too many people suffering from very serious disease, and way too many, already gone from serious disease. And like far too many male members here, losing my wife at a young age to that dreaded cancer.
        For me, every day since the first month of 1968 has been total 'GRAVY.' !!

Most of us here have led very active lives. Both our work and our hobbies were physical entities. And like the old cars we love, as the miles pile up, maintenance, including replacement of parts, is necessary.
        Old age is tough, and if I ever find the guy who called this "The Golden Years", I'm going to beat him with a 2 by 4 !!!

But our only choice is to put one foot in front of the other, and as I used to do on those very long, long 'forced' marches the Marine Corps loved, zone out, forget and work through the pain, and get to your desired destination.
        Face it. We have no other choice.
        Eddie "D"
        '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
        M&M Member #339.

Comment

I think time and money are the biggest things in every bodies lives right now. I just simply don't have time to do all I need or want to do, sometimes I feel like my life is quickly slipping away and there's nothing I can do to slow it down. When I do get a little time, it seems like I don't feel up to doing much more than resting. Those all day, half the night in the shop working on something times are gone, now, if I get a couple of hours in I feel like I've been in there a week.
          I've always been tight on funds, toys always come last. My toys are needing lots of love right now, but it has to be stretched out between the semi, the house, the Grandson, and whatever else pops up. My car may not even get back on the road this year, I've got to buy a set of tires for hers {Firebird}, my pickup will need tires before summer ends, it's always something seems like.
          Like Eddie so well said, just gotta keep on going.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I hear ya, Eddie "D".... and you're absolutely correct - & I know it.
            I'm just grousing.....not really complaining....I'm grateful to still be waking up in the morning, still know my own name & what day it is.

Soooooo.....I've had my coffee, had a bite to eat, taken a dump and scrapped my face. It's time to get my boots on and go face the day the best I can!
            Like you said, Put one foot in front of the other. To just simply face it and push on.... as I don't like what the "other choice" is.
            Thanks, Eddie "D" !!

Ryan

Comment

With me, my health is the problem, when I feel good enough to do something there's a bunch of other things that needs doing, I have to get myself back to doing things even when I don't feel like it. I'm hoping when the weather gets warmer I'll get going but I know I've said it before.
              '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
              My Mach's restoration progress
              My Sprint's restoration progress
              "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Comment

Motivation can certainly be an elusive thing. It's inspiring when people find it and report it - I always enjoy reading about people's progress, or at least their struggles. Even struggling means doing something, even if it's not always forward.

For me lately, motivation came in the form of a nephew that moved back to town and likes turning wrenches. We actually spend very little time doing it (one hour per week, sometimes not even that) - but in that one hour, we have a chance to get our hands dirty, talk, laugh, and dream about next week, and the week after that, and the project after this, the project after that...

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                I just simply don't have time to do all I need or want to do, sometimes I feel like my life is quickly slipping away and there's nothing I can do to slow it down.
                This is something I was hoping the "wise and elder" members here could give advice on - where are the keys to the time machine? How in the hell do you slow things down? It has gotten worse as I've gotten older, and I don't like it - not one bit!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                  With me, my health is the problem, when I feel good enough to do something there's a bunch of other things that needs doing, I have to get myself back to doing things even when I don't feel like it. I'm hoping when the weather gets warmer I'll get going but I know I've said it before.
                  EXACTLY my issue too, Steve.
                  I hurt to move. I hurt if I'm not moving. I try to tell myself to just move...........not to be concerned on the speed - just be moving....doing..... I can do drugs to ease the pain, but then the drugs put me into a friggin' coma!

I amaze myself sometimes....when I do feel good, just how much I can get done. Problem is - it seems that those days are far and few between.

I often think about how frustrated Alex must have been the last year of his life...

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang Mike View Post
                    ....I was hoping the "wise and elder" members here could give advice on - where are the keys to the time machine? How in the hell do you slow things down? It has gotten worse as I've gotten older, and I don't like it - not one bit!
                    I don't think there is a secret or pad answer to your question, Mike. Time doesn't slow down, only we slow down...as the rest of the bunch continues on... Nope, I don't like it either...but we all get to deal with it the best we can!

Ryan

Comment

Time just keeps speeding up, the only advice I can give is if your body can still move freely, capitalize on that. Sometimes when the door slams shut it never opens again.
                      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                      My Mach's restoration progress
                      My Sprint's restoration progress
                      "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Comment

What I do is do as much as I can for the way I feel that day. Some days are better then others.
                        Mike & Robin Grentus
                        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                        M&M Member #- 890
                        MCA #- 4549
                        My 69 Coupe build album
                        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Working...