Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

...

Nineteen Years!
.

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a little work done.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mike65
    started a topic Got a little work done.

    Got a little work done.

    Today the weather at the Jersey shore is beautiful, mid 70's & mostly sunny so I decided to take advantage of the good weather & roll the 69 Coupe out of the garage & cut out the l/s front torque box & floor support. Here is as far as I got when I busted my last sawzall blade.

    Last edited by Mike65; 09-16-2017, 03:19 PM.

  • Mike65
    replied
    Today I cut out the rust in the upper part of the l/s front windshield post, & fabbed up a patch piece.

    Leave a comment:


  • Steve68Cougar
    replied
    It's always fun getting stuff in the mail. The last thing I got was an oil pump priming tool. One of these days (after this weekend, which is a trip with the Bullitt to the Tulsa Shelby meet) I'll use it then throw my distributor back in the engine and try to get it fired up.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike65
    replied
    Today I received some parts in the mail. I got the Pertronix flame thrower coil & dist, water pump pulley, & roller pilot bearing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike65
    replied
    Today I finished cleaning the rest of the sealer from the front windshield channel. Now I have to repair a few rust holes in the l/s front windshield post.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

    Right. You don't want to use that to put in a glass with a rubber gasket. If your glass shop tries to do that, find another one that knows what they are doing. I researched all that out when I did my Maverick, bought the proper bedding compound at OReillys and put my own glass in. Glass shop wanted to use the butyl or urethane glue and the gasket, it never would have sealed. Just a light bead of bedding compound is all you have to use on the pinchweld section. I'll be doing the same thing on the Lincoln later on.
    Good to know, Ford84stepside! Thanks for sharing......

    Ryan

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike65
    replied
    Today I started removing the remainder of the sealant from the front windshield channel using a wire wheel in a drill.

    Leave a comment:


  • ford84stepside
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

    The windshields are glued in with butyl on modern cars. That can be tough to cut especially if itís an original windshield. I think the guy that did my Mach said that they now use a butyl thatís not as strong to minimize the damage to people that donít believe in physics and refuse to use seatbelts.
    Right. You don't want to use that to put in a glass with a rubber gasket. If your glass shop tries to do that, find another one that knows what they are doing. I researched all that out when I did my Maverick, bought the proper bedding compound at OReillys and put my own glass in. Glass shop wanted to use the butyl or urethane glue and the gasket, it never would have sealed. Just a light bead of bedding compound is all you have to use on the pinchweld section. I'll be doing the same thing on the Lincoln later on.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike65
    replied
    Today I finished removing the front windshield, & was able to scrape off most of the old sealer. I found a couple rust holes in the l/s "A" pillar that I will have to repair.



    Here is the old sealer & a small pile of the old factory vinyl top that was under the sealer.



    Leave a comment:


  • SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
    Dang, what is that, silicone or urethane? You never use either in a gasket type window, only bedding compound.
    The windshields are glued in with butyl on modern cars. That can be tough to cut especially if itís an original windshield. I think the guy that did my Mach said that they now use a butyl thatís not as strong to minimize the damage to people that donít believe in physics and refuse to use seatbelts.

    Leave a comment:


  • ford84stepside
    replied
    Dang, what is that, silicone or urethane? You never use either in a gasket type window, only bedding compound.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike65
    replied
    Today after work I was able to get the windshield loose on the l/s "A" pillar & the rest of the way across the roof. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon it should be out. Then the clean up begins to get the old sealer out of the windshield channel.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike65
    replied
    Today I started to try to remove the front windshield. It looks like someone loaded it up with sealer trying to stop a leak. My windshield removal tool will not cut through it so I am heating the sealer with a brazing torch & working it loose with a putty knife. So far it is loose up the r/s "A" pillar & part way across the roof.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike65
    replied
    Today I finished installing the Lokar parking brake cables from the rear drum brakes to the center mount parking brake handle assembly.



    Last edited by Mike65; 05-05-2018, 07:15 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike65
    replied
    Today I performed the parking brake handle assembly mod & finished the install of the r/s rear parking brake cable.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X