Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Sprint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
    Learned something new yesterday. I have finished restoring the pedal hanger and wanted to bolt it to the car so that with the hard structures in place I'll be able to determine where to run my universal Ron Francis wiring harness. I was debating how to hang the front of the hanger which uses the studs of the power brake booster to attach it to the firewall. I debated using studs, then the old booster, then I came to the conclusion that I might as well just get the new booster and mount it. I ordered a new unit from NPD but when it arrived I could tell right away my booster wasn't in the box, it was smaller than my Sprint's old booster. Opening the box showed my hunch right. The booster was the old style 'football' Bendix booster like my Mach uses, and not the 'piepan' style Midland booster. Figuring I had done a boneheaded move and ordered a '70 part, I checked the part number and it was indeed the correct number for a '71-'73 Mustang/Cougar and even showed the picture on the online catalog. Thinking NPD made a mistake, I searched online listings and found the original style is only available as a rebuilt unit and other places that offered the new unit just had the 'football' style also. I haven't confirmed that with NPD yet, but it doesn't really matter to me because I'm not restoring it concours style and I just wanted the unit that works well. I might mention to Rick that he might want to note the difference in the catalog to give the purists a head's up, just to prevent problems.
    Here's what the early style booster looks installed. Forgive the dust, that's embarrassing.

IMG_0440.JPG
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Slight difference.

1E624982-09EA-4C06-87A1-E2C2EC8FD4B3.jpeg526C8BB8-DD10-49FF-B059-9845D589C433.jpegB8B4AC81-CAAC-4C90-AD21-0BF709FE65DE.jpeg853881AD-5E33-4A8A-8388-433F4FB97752.jpeg

Comment

I gotta thank the late, great Phil Stolfus aka OLD-FORD-TECH for giving me the old heater box from his Mustang so I could make one good heater from two beat up units.

Comment

I miss Phil.

Heater box looks good Steve. And I'm still looking for the dust in the pic above it? Yours is cleaner dirty than mine is when clean.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Looking good Steve. Dust, what dust?.
            Mike & Robin Grentus
            69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
            08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
            00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
            99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
            14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
            M&M Member #- 890
            MCA #- 4549
            My 69 Coupe build album
            http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

The dust is mostly on me, to be honest...

Comment

Progress is a wonderful thing.

06884067-C10B-4815-8648-C0E2F7BF65A6.jpeg

Comment

Talk about a stroke of luck. On my Sprint there is a seal that goes between the heater box and firewall and when I tried to find one, I had no luck and the one on my car was long gone. I figured I would end up having to make one, until one day I was at a Tractor Supply store and on a clearance rack I spotted this sponge for fifty cents that is supposed to help you scrub your hands after a long day on the farm. I looked at the holes and said “Holy cow, that looks just like the spacing my heater core tubes are set at!” I figured at best I would need to egg the holes to fit, but it looks like this was made for this application. We did end up reducing the thickness by half, but aside from that, it is a perfect fit.

8BC032B5-C5A7-4E90-94AF-F1266EB91100.jpeg

Comment

The parts God is smiling since You spotted the "Little gold nugget" hidden in plain sight.

Comment

One step forward, one step back...

We decided to install the rear shocks and from under the car my brother asked “Are these the right leaf spring plates? Of course, I said, they are the same ones that came off the car. Turns out the body shop used the shock holes to tie the car down to the trailer, bending the crap out of them. Efforts to straighten them out basically turned them into ugly messes, so long story short, I have a NOS RH side I found on eBay on the way and I am looking for the left side.

I guess the parts gods got their revenge on me, Jonnie.

Comment

845B35F2-6525-45B6-B1E9-DB6DD9A3FCED.jpeg

4941B46F-D9FF-4A7F-98F5-F552FA887CE4.jpeg Mike and I have started on the car again, he installed our new gas tank and I’m busy getting frustrated at how I’m going to merge the Ron Francis wiring harness with my Sprint’s original harness. RF doesn’t make a harness for the ‘72 so I bought the universal Ford wiring harness, and it’s about as basic as it gets, it’s looking like I’ll be using most of the original harness and probably just use the modern fuse block and the wiring just as replacements where needed.

6FD7BFA3-493E-4909-ADAB-3D71D352190E.jpeg

Comment

Here’s the part that Mike is probably still having nightmares about, getting the reproduction filler tube into the tank’s O ringed opening. For a while it looked like the tube wouldn’t go into the tank fully no matter what, finally Mike got it in after using several different lubes, his heatgun and a whole lot of force. Came out great in the end, though.

6E129ACB-A89D-4077-A961-B0A0DBA7411F.jpeg

0214BFDE-91A7-4D1E-95A1-A5D73ADBE8F7.jpeg

D40D1B9A-7C4F-49F7-8879-06BD1C93010B.jpeg

76E418A1-CF47-456D-8E49-6ED8EF9C6F49.jpeg

C69241FC-1051-449B-9D9C-627E2E90442D.jpeg

Comment

VERY NICE! SUPER CLEAN WORK, GUYS! CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING MORE PROGRESS..... (I am jealous)

Ryan
                            Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I must have a screw loose, because even simple things like seeing a clean installation of a stainless steel fuel sending unit looks beautiful to me.

75F33234-C59C-45FE-B3B4-7C6B2BDAD847.jpeg

Comment

Steve, the Sprint is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see it in person.
                                Mike & Robin Grentus
                                69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                                08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                                00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                                99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                                14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                                M&M Member #- 890
                                MCA #- 4549
                                My 69 Coupe build album
                                http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Working...
                                X