Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss 429 in '71 Mustang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss 429 in '71 Mustang

Anyone see the '71 convertible in this month's Mustang Monthly that someone transplanted a Boss 429? Looks like they didn't even have to clearance the shock towers. That's a dangerous thought to put in my head... I bet my Sprint would be 'peppy' with 620 inches of Jon Kaase Boss in it...
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
    Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
    I bet my Sprint would be 'peppy' with 620 inches of Jon Kaase Boss in it...
    I'd bet it would be...... In fact, accepting the fact that it would require a bit of massaging, I wouldn't mind "trying on' a 620" JK powerplant in my '69FB....I think a cage would be recommended...to keep it all from twisting up.....

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan Wilke; 03-18-2017, 10:42 AM.
    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Got a link for the pics?
      I had the pleasure of seeing Dyno Dons 427 cammer powered Maverick a few years ago. They had to run a stock suspension back then, so they sectioned the shock towers and moved them out to fit the wide engine in, it looked almost factory. I never understood why Ford put the springs and shocks on top of the control arms like that, severely limiting the width of the engine bay. A friend of mine bought a 66 Mustang drag car a few years ago that had a early Camaro front clip under it, it was amazing how much room not having the shock towers in there made.

A 385 series would be killer in the Sprint! Even a stock 460 would be boss! As wide as the 71-73's are, it would probably be easier to put in than in a 69-70.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
        A 385 series would be killer in the Sprint! Even a stock 460 would be boss! As wide as the 71-73's are, it would probably be easier to put in than in a 69-70.
        The 385-series 429 was a factory optional powerplant for '71 Stangs..... so sure, they would slip in much easier than into a '69-70. Sure, the '69/'70 Stangs did receive the BOSS 429 (385-series) - but with some considerable massaging before shoe-horning them in.

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

The 385-series 429 was a factory optional powerplant for '71 Stangs..... so sure, they would slip in much easier than into a '69-70. Sure, the '69/'70 Stangs did receive the BOSS 429 (385-series) - but with some considerable massaging before shoe-horning them in.

Ryan
          I probably knew that, but forgot it. I know the 69-70 Boss cars were built off site, not on the production line. LOTS of mods made to them to shoehorn the Boss 429's in.
          I forget about the 429 being the first 385 series, the 460 comes to mind first for some reason.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I read the article and my first thought was why take a factory 1 of 9 and make it just another restomod? It looks to me like he removed the shock towers which I think is a mistake given the nature of the Mustang uni-body. I will look on the 'net for more pics. Nice motor but I wouldn't have stuffed it into a convertible.
            Mark C ~
            M&M member #332
            1965 coupe - owned since '79
            1970 Mach 1 T-5 (export Mustang) - owned since '86
            http://mustangsandmore.com/memberpages/70MachT5.html
            "My '65 coupe is going back together"
            /___ ___ ___ \
            (]]]_ _ O _ __[[[)
            \_ o _ ___ _ o _/
            |___| ...... |___|

Comment

Look again, Mark. I already gave my magazine away but I'm pretty sure they mentioned the shock towers were untouched, that's what prompted my original post. I knew they redesigned the engine compartment to accommodate the '71 using the 385 series engine, I just never realized there was enough room for those massive Boss 429 heads. I'd like to see how much room there is for the master cylinder, though.
              '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
              My Mach's restoration progress
              My Sprint's restoration progress
              I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
              Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

Working...
              X