Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1969 Grande

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Grande

The question is why is this Mustang being restored? Her dad bought this Mustang new in 1969 when she was in high school, it was her first car and has always been in the family so they want it restored. The problem is they lived in Miami and Daytona Beach so there is a lot of rust on the sheet metal. Strange part is the frame rails and front fenders look good.

This is what we are starting with

The engine has 139,000 miles on it and starts right up.

Rusty Gillis

Gillis Performance Restorations
    727-847-7973
    www.gillisrestorations.com

Former NHRA SS/GA Record Holder 1969 Mustang
    Former NHRA SS/FA Record Holder 1968 Mustang

The roof is bad I need to find a parts car

Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

I have never seen an A pillar this bad before

Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

dang Rusty, most shops around her would tell them they wont do it !!!!
        34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

If anyone can, Rusty Gillis' crew can get the job done....AND, done right!

Ryan
          Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the reason it's being restored is because it's a '69 Mustang, and they dont make them anymore.
            Rob Hetzler
            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
              As far as I'm concerned, the reason it's being restored is because it's a '69 Mustang, and they dont make them anymore.
              Exactly. Besides, it's the same dilemma I face with my Sprint, it's not going to be worth anywhere near what it cost to restore, but we have a history together.
              '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
              My Mach's restoration progress
              My Sprint's restoration progress
              "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Wow, a lot of work, but I hope we will get to see the transformation right, Rusty??? It's their car and they want it restored and they have brought it to IMHO the BEST restoration shop I've ever seen.....
                1970 Mach 1, my wife's first car purchased for $1800 in 1977. .30 over 351 Cleveland 4V FMX tranny. Best ET with 3:00 to 1 gears 13.9 @ 102 mph

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

Exactly. Besides, it's the same dilemma I face with my Sprint, it's not going to be worth anywhere near what it cost to restore, but we have a history together.
                  That & the fact that at the time I could not afford a 69 Fastback or any Mustang Fastback for that matter & I prefer the Coupes better. I am in the same boat as you Steve, once my 69 Coupe is done it will probably be worth less then what I have into it. Oh well.

Mike & Robin Grentus
                  69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                  08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                  00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                  99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                  14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                  M&M Member #- 890
                  MCA #- 4549
                  My 69 Coupe build album
                  http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post

That & the fact that at the time I could not afford a 69 Fastback or any Mustang Fastback for that matter & I prefer the Coupes better. I am in the same boat as you Steve, once my 69 Coupe is done it will probably be worth less then what I have into it. Oh well.

Exactly correct Mike, it has been great to see the progress and elbow grease you have invested willingly to your project. Can't wait to see it finished, but no more than you right??? I've been lucky enough that our fastback was my wife's first car purchased a couple years before I entered the picture some 37 years ago...
                    1970 Mach 1, my wife's first car purchased for $1800 in 1977. .30 over 351 Cleveland 4V FMX tranny. Best ET with 3:00 to 1 gears 13.9 @ 102 mph

Comment

This Mustang will stay in the family. One of their sons wants it so it will be passed down to him.
                      Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

Is there enough metal left in that car to say it's the same car after rebuilding? I've seen some fantastic work out of y'all before, but I think I'd look for another body to swap everything over to. Going to be a big job for sure.
                        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                        -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
                        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

There is a guy in FL that has all three Sprints, Mustang, Maverick, and Pinto. The Pinto was the hardest to find, and it was a rust bucket the best I remember. I think he looked for 4-5 years before he found the Pinto. I'd say if anything wasn't worth the price to restore it'd be the Pinto, but he wanted the complete set. Wish I could remember his name, been several years ago on a different board that I saw the pics of them all together.
                          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                          -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
                          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I went to our local town annual festival yesterday. During the festival, they always hold a car show attracting local 'talent'. There I saw was a nice example of a "Spirit of America" Nova....similar to the Mustang Sprint, with the white paint and red and blue striping & similar patriotic badges. The owner claimed they were 14,600 plus produced in 1974 in honor of the country's 1976 Bi-Centennial celebration. The show used to attract the son of a local fella who owned an AMC dealership (of course the dealership is now long gone) who would bring in his /70 red, white and blue AMC Rebel 'The Machine'.... Now as a kid, I recall seeing Mustang Spints and Nova Spirit of America cars now and then, but I never saw a 'Machine' other than in magazines........ I'd guess the Machine is a car tough to locate parts for these days.

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                            X