Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pump inquiry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump inquiry

The engine in my EXP is from an '85 Mustang GT.

When choosing a water pump that would allow me to go to a standard V-belt setup, I went to a local rebuild house and picked out one that was a simple aluminum pump that had the fewest frills (holes for brackets, etc.).

Recently, I read something that lead me to believe that not only do the H.O. serpentine pumps rotate the other direction (with reversed vanes, I assume), they have different flow characteristics. Question is, how much difference is there in terms of cooling ability between a standard 302 pump and the H.O. pump? Mine seems to work OK in most conditions but I can't help but wonder if the original item helped with cooling.

BTW, I used the factory '85 Mustang radiator, so I guess if I had over-heating issues, I could put one in that has better capacity for cooling.
    Paul N.

'84 EXP: 5.0, T-5, 4.30 9", Fat Tires
    Backyard Experiment

sumptus censum ne superet
    (let not your spending exceed your income)

Iíve been told the reverse rotation water pumps take a different timing cover. Both cool the same afaik. Last one I did I changed pump and timing cover to make sure I had a matched set. I ran a stock 74 Maverick V8 radiator and it cooled fine. Actually ran a 6cyl one until it started leaking, it did fine too.
    Iím using the 92 reverse rotation stuff in my Lincoln and using the serpentine belt.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I am going to be running a standard rotation water pump on my 5.0 with just an alternator & serpentine belt.
      Mike & Robin Grentus
      69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
      08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
      00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
      99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
      14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
      M&M Member #- 890
      MCA #- 4549
      My 69 Coupe build album
      http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll see how things go as the year goes by. Haven't had a big issue yet but haven't driven in severe heat, either.
        Paul N.

'84 EXP: 5.0, T-5, 4.30 9", Fat Tires
        Backyard Experiment

sumptus censum ne superet
        (let not your spending exceed your income)

Comment

Working...
        X