Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low Coolant Light Issue - 1990 5.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Coolant Light Issue - 1990 5.0

I bought my 7-Up in May of 1999. It did not have a low coolant sensor in the overflow tank and that is one of the first things I fixed. This Fall, when I replaced my coolant, the low coolant light kept coming on. I would add some antifreeze to the tank, the light would go out, and then the next time out, it would be on again. After a few additions to the tank, this stopped happening. I Just had the car running for the first time in almost a month. The light again came on, I added more coolant, and I am definitely above the sensor level, but the low coolant light is staying on.

Do the sensors go bad? I don't believe that disconnecting the battery would have any effect on this issue, or would it? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
    '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
    Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Yeah, they go bad. Sometimes you can clean them and make the work if they are coated bad.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Thanks. Are you referring to cleaning the contact points where the wiring harness plugs into the cap?
      Steve - M&M Member #690

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
      Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

27 year old technology. The sensor is bad.
        M&M Member #91
        Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
          27 year old technology. The sensor is bad.
          Thanks Craig. Do you know if Ford still stocks these things? I've heard ot so good things about the repros.
          Steve - M&M Member #690

Comment

All the ones I've fooled with were the screw in kind, no experience with one in a cap. On them, the probe gets a coating from the antifreeze over time, and you can take sandpaper and shine it up and it will work again. All they do is measure the resistance on the probe, if it's dry, it has a different resistance than a wet one does.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
              All the ones I've fooled with were the screw in kind, no experience with one in a cap. On them, the probe gets a coating from the antifreeze over time, and you can take sandpaper and shine it up and it will work again. All they do is measure the resistance on the probe, if it's dry, it has a different resistance than a wet one does.
              Thanks. I will give that a shot.
              Steve - M&M Member #690

Comment

Originally posted by Stangfan View Post

Thanks Craig. Do you know if Ford still stocks these things? I've heard ot so good things about the repros.
                Id have to check. We do have access to vendors that buy all the new old stock items, we call them "Vintage" parts. If I remember, I'll ask our parts guy tomorrow.

I was able to get a factory Ford front chin spoiler for my '03 Mach 1 and a nos shift boot from them. They are a little pricey but obviously worth every penny. Not sure they'll have any fox body stuff or not.

M&M Member #91
                US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                  Id have to check. We do have access to vendors that buy all the new old stock items, we call them "Vintage" parts. If I remember, I'll ask our parts guy tomorrow.

I was able to get a factory Ford front chin spoiler for my '03 Mach 1 and a nos shift boot from them. They are a little pricey but obviously worth every penny. Not sure they'll have any fox body stuff or not.
                  Thank you!
                  Steve - M&M Member #690

Comment

Checked with my boys today....No go. Too old for our vintage parts.

You know, the repro ones are cheap enough, if it was me I'd give one a shot just to see.
                    M&M Member #91

Comment

Try www.greensalescompany.com If you have the part number you can look it up and see if they have it. Click on the inventory button on the left side of the page and it takes you to their search. You have to have the Ford part number

Comment

Thanks guys. First I will try getting this one to work. Much appreciated!!
                        Steve - M&M Member #690

Comment

Working...
                        X