Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did some Mods to my 92

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did some Mods to my 92

The 92 used to be the wife's daily driver that we've had for around 19 years until our daughter came along and she wanted a baby car seat friendly car. I didn't want to sell/trade it in and we kinda mothballed it in the garage but always kept tags/insurance on it. It's been repainted once after adding a fiberglass hood n 93 Cobra rear wing. It has 84k orininal miles non molested rust free car that's spent most of it's time garaged. Engine is bone stock with an AOD. Buddy of mine recently parted out a Fox with an 8.8" rear with 4.10 gears that I purchased and installed along with a Street/Strip Performance Automatic "Hold" valvebody that operates as normal thru the gears if left in OD but can be held in 1st n 2nd until you actually shift it manaully. The AOD was a major downer with this car to me but the wife couldn't drive a manual trans.(and still can't).........These two mods made the car a huge amount more fun to drive than the old combo. Parts I have on the garage shelves for future install are shorty headers,BBK X-pipe and thinking about a Dynomax Ultraflow catback purchase in the future. Yeah Foxes are old news but I'm always a day late it seems...Better late than never.lol
    Last edited by Tater351C; 04-05-2017, 08:08 PM.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

I grew up on Fox bodies and still love them to this day even though I no longer own one. I've owned 7-8 of them over the years.
    As you know, rear end gears are probably the best "bang for the buck" as far as performance mods go. 4:10's REALLY wakes up an AOD! I run 4:10's in my 2003 Mach1 and feel anything less than that is a waste of money.
    Very awesome you've owned the car 19 years and still have under 100k miles. Unmolested, original, low mileage Fox bodies are still in high demand, even with the AOD, because those who want a 5 speed can do an AOD to 5 speed conversion fairly easily, (I've done two, one on the floor of my garage), and then there are those who still want an automatic, desire the cars like yours.
    Keeping the mileage low BUT enjoying the car at the same time is a fine line, but it's very possible to do.
    Keep us posted on the rest of your mods, would love to see some pics (even though posting pics on this site is tough to figure out).
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I've had my 7-Up for 18 years. I swapped the 2.73 gears for 3.73s and had a Trans-go shift kit put in when I first got it. Still didn't like the way the trans shifted, especially into O/D. A few years ago, my shop installed a Ford Racing AOD Upgrade kit into it and holy crap, what a difference. Shifts are extremely positive, and the torque is way down in the rpm range, so the power is right there when you hit the gas. So much fun to drive after that upgrade!
      Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
      '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
      Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

I agree guys on the foxes. SM I just love the 03 Mach in grabber blue. Keeping low miles on my 92 hasn't been a problem the last couple years but after messing with it lately it's cool to hop in it n go for a local ride. Just looking to have some fun with it finally after it only getting maybe 150 miles on it the past few years n having the battery trickle charger on it every month.
        79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
        69 Stang Vert
        69 Stang Coupe
        92 Stang 5.0 LX
        other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by Stangfan View Post
          I've had my 7-Up for 18 years. I swapped the 2.73 gears for 3.73s and had a Trans-go shift kit put in when I first got it. Still didn't like the way the trans shifted, especially into O/D. A few years ago, my shop installed a Ford Racing AOD Upgrade kit into it and holy crap, what a difference. Shifts are extremely positive, and the torque is way down in the rpm range, so the power is right there when you hit the gas. So much fun to drive after that upgrade!
          What is in the AOD upgrade? My Linc will be a cruiser, but I'd like the shifts to be firm. I currently have a 3.00 rear, but have a 3.55 set up if the 3.00 turns out to be a dog off the line. I like to do a little spirited takeoff from red lights every now and then, but want the low cruising RPMs of the AOD.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

From page 91 of the 2001 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog. "AOD Wide Ratio/Upgrade Kit. Part #M-7398-D. Features: HD Wide ratio gearset. 1st gear ratio increased from 2.40 to 2.84. 2nd gear ratio increased from 1.47 to 1.55. High rpm caged needle pinion bearings. HD low inertia 6-plate high clutch assembly. Low inertia reverse clutch assembly. HD "wide" OD band. 6000 rpm intermediate one way clutch. HD 4 plate intermediate clutch. Improved lube forward clutch hub. #2 through #9 needle bearing thrust washers improved."

I just love the way it shifts now. Fun factor waaay up!
            Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
            '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
            Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

Here's a pic of my 92.
              69 Stang Vert
              69 Stang Coupe
              92 Stang 5.0 LX
              other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

What is in the AOD upgrade? My Linc will be a cruiser, but I'd like the shifts to be firm. I currently have a 3.00 rear, but have a 3.55 set up if the 3.00 turns out to be a dog off the line. I like to do a little spirited takeoff from red lights every now and then, but want the low cruising RPMs of the AOD.
                IMHO....with an AOD you'd be good to go and probably like a rear gear with a 3.55-3.90ish. The low gear sets are $$$$. I've ran them in a C-4 before. I feel the 4.10 rear in my 92 now are pretty tall even for cruising but it only has a stock size tire on it around 26" OD. On a shift kit checkout the Performance Automatic website with what they offer. They're semi local to me and a bunch of good people to deal with. Cover your bases and figure what will fit your needs.
                69 Stang Vert
                69 Stang Coupe
                92 Stang 5.0 LX
                other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                  Here's a pic of my 92.
                  Very nice, and a pretty rare color. Wasn't that called Strawberry something?

M&M Member #91
                  US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                    Very nice, and a pretty rare color. Wasn't that called Strawberry something?
                    Just looked it up....Wild Strawberry Red. I like it!!!

M&M Member #91

Comment

Thanks SM. Correct on the strawberry red paint. I think it really pops in the sunlight. The Friend of a Friend that we bought it from had just repainted it after adding the glass hood n cobra rear spoiler. He had bought it n decided to flip it after the cosmetic mods to raise some more coin to open his own body shop that he still owns today. He worked at a local body shop back in the day. When we bought it it had 26k miles on it. Luckily the wifey only worked 8 miles from our house n that kept the miles low on it.
                      69 Stang Vert
                      69 Stang Coupe
                      92 Stang 5.0 LX
                      other DD's

Comment

Working...
                      X