Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top replacement

It's time to replace the top on the Mustang... And of course, the only convertible tops I have ever replaced is on my Jeeps. Totally different animals...

Is there a good link detailing this process? I have been looking and have not found a good one... yet!
    Keith - member #70

Welcome to the USSA

I'm in the same situation. There's a supplier on ebay that offers a "how to" video with all of their tops. They still recommend you take it to a shop that does this kind of work. Supposedly, it's easily an 8 hour job for a pro. The quote I got was $450 with me providing the top. I've had a couple of Craigslist leads on tops but either couldn't get there on time or it was the wrong color or in worse shape than the one I have. I'm still leaning towards a used top. $200 is more attractive to me than $750.
    David G.
    1969 Mustang Sportsroof
    1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
    2002 Supercrew Lariat
    Mustangsandmore Member # 1964

Comment

I wouldn't fool with a used top. Too easy to damage if it is the least bit rotten. I'd go new all the way, and let somebody that knows how do the installation, that way, if it gets damaged going on it's their fault and they have to replace it.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I'm VERY well versed in this subject as the need for a new top was probably the main reason why I decided to let my '93 vert go.

I actually purchased one of those $24.99 "how to" videos from one of the mustang parts houses just for a looksey, it explained the step by step install on my '90-'93convertible and was pretty detailed. ****SIDENOTE**** I work on Fords for a living.....I've replace heated seat elements, pulled intrument panels, and replace seat back frames day in and day out. After watching the video 2 or 3 times, I figured out my limits....convertible top replacement is DEFINITELY best left for the EXPERTS. Not trying to discourage you, but letting you know you have to really know what you're doing, have some speciality tools and A LOT of patience.....and that's just what I gathered from the video. I figured if I got that from the video, it's probably 10 times worse in real life.

There is alot of cutting, trimming, stetching, stapling, gluing, etc involved. As far as the final product goes, I wanted a nice tight fit with no wrinkles. Decided after watching the video....nope!

I called a couple of local upholstery shops here in town and got estimates of $900-$1100. With all of the other stuff that my car needed.....and the fact that I was wanting to get into something different ANYWAY (I now own a 45,000 mile 2003 Mach 1), decided to cut the '93 loose...and the top hurt my sale. I bought it back in 2009 for $5500.....ended up selling it last summer for $4800, even after the 5 speed conversion. Didn't get hurt too bad, but with a new top, I'm sure I could have gotten $6000-$6500 for it.

I've pretty much gotten convertibles out of my system. The tops are just soooooo expensive. From now on, if I ever consider another convertible, it will HAVE to have a new top.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. If you put a new top on it, take pics and post them here, I for one would love to see your progress! Good luck!
        M&M Member #91
        Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

When I say used top, I'm referring to the entire top assembly, not just the canvas. Frame, cables, lines, cylinders, pump, and a partridge in a pear tree. I've seen it done a few times. Unbolt it from the donor car and bolt it to the recipient car. But yes, replacing the canvas only is best left to a pro. The guy I got the quote from says that the Mustangs he's worked are probably the toughest ones to do. This guy has done all of my interior work and even replaced the headliner in my wife's Mazda 6. No reason to think he'd burn me. The jury is still out though. Thanks for the info.
          David G.
          1969 Mustang Sportsroof
          1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
          2002 Supercrew Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
            I'm VERY well versed in this subject as the need for a new top was probably the main reason why I decided to let my '93 vert go.....

I called a couple of local upholstery shops here in town and got estimates of $900-$1100. With all of the other stuff that my car needed.....and the fact that I was wanting to get into something different ANYWAY (I now own a 45,000 mile 2003 Mach 1), decided to cut the '93 loose...and the top hurt my sale. I bought it back in 2009 for $5500.....ended up selling it last summer for $4800, even after the 5 speed conversion. Didn't get hurt too bad, but with a new top, I'm sure I could have gotten $6000-$6500 for it.

I've pretty much gotten convertibles out of my system. The tops are just soooooo expensive. From now on, if I ever consider another convertible, it will HAVE to have a new top.

That's one of the same reasons we got rid of our 93. It was needing a top, there were already some small holes coming in it that had been patched with silicone, the pump or a cylinder was bad, leaking fluid, and it had started popping loose at the windsheild, the brackets and clips had a lot of wear on them. I don't regret selling it at all. That top was also one reason we bought a Vette to replace it, if we want to ride in open air, we take the top panel off. Changing a few weatherstrips on a solid top will be much easier and cheaper than replacing a canvas top. I don't think I ever want another soft top car, either. I might be interested in one of those retractable hard tops they are making now in some cars, I wish Ford would offer one on the Mustang.
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I know this post is a little old but I found this while scouring for replacement tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8vKHK9q86Q
              David G.
              1969 Mustang Sportsroof
              1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
              2002 Supercrew Lariat

Comment

It is an old thread, and truth be told, I never replaced the top.
                The car finally threw a code P0302 this year and I parked it... might be something simple, might not be. Right now I don't have time to mess with it.
                With the things that need to be replaced, it would cost me more to fix it than I paid for the thing... just cannot justify it for a so-called "beater"
                Keith - member #70

Welcome to the USSA

Comment

That's a misfire on cylinder #2.
                  David G.
                  1969 Mustang Sportsroof
                  1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
                  2002 Supercrew Lariat

Comment

Working...
                  X