Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb question time...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question time...

Its time to replace the tires on my ride... Problem is, I really like my BFG Super Sport AS. Bigger issue, they no longer make them in a 245/45R17.
    What are you running? It takes me forever to make these decisions, its almost a medical issue.
    I have looked at Perellis, but they seem to be just summer tires as well.
    Steer me straight here!
    Keith - member #70

Welcome to the USSA

Some sizes are getting hard to find, low demand I guess. Wife's Firebird takes an odd ball 245/50/16, I've only found a few mfgs making them. Guess I'm going with a Chinese made Doral , only decent priced ones I've found. They will dry rot before we wear them out.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
      some sizes are getting hard to find, low demand i guess. Wife's firebird takes an odd ball 245/50/16, i've only found a few mfgs making them. Guess i'm going with a chinese made doral , only decent priced ones i've found. They will dry rot before we wear them out.
      more burnouts !!!!!!!!!!! L0l

Comment

That would work! We probably won't put 5000 miles a year on it, so I know there will still be deep tread on them in about 5 years when I replace them.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I used to run a tire store... I knew the ins and outs and which tires were good (to me anyways!)
          I have been out of that work for 6 years and don't know what's good or not anymore...
          I am also not worried about having tread left... the mustang is usually my primary car, even in the winter. The truck sits unless it is pulling something and the jeep just isn't highway friendly. So the mustang moves me... just need to get new shoes on her, but as the wife claims, I over-analyze everything!
          Keith - member #70

Welcome to the USSA

Comment

My neighbor works at the BFG plant in Tuscaloosa, we were having a discussion about tires a while back. He was telling me the way BFG does it, is when sales drop below a certain figure and stay there, they discontinue the size. 13" and 14" are good examples, they make very few of them any more. 15" is going the same way, most of the ones they still make are the TA Radial series. Some of the molds are sold to Coker Tire who makes limited runs, like the BFG Silvertown wide whitewalls. I know this doesn't help you find a tire you like, but helps tell you why they are hard to find.

For me, it's purely economics, I can buy 4 off shore tires for the price of two BFG's. If I had to use the car everyday, the BFG's would be the better buy due to the superior quality and longevity, but on her car, 5,000 miles in a year will he high mileage. At one time all my vehicles wore BFG's, but their prices have increased so much they are out of my price range anymore.

Have you looked online? Discount Tire Direct usually has some good prices and free shipping with a price match guarantee. I've also heard good talk about Tire Rack, but I've never used them.

Comment

I've used Tire Rack and had good results. I asked I local tire guy if I could have the tires sent directly to him, he agreed he'd call me when they arrived. After the call, I then brought in wheels I wanted the tires mounted on, and he did the deed for me. However, the last couple of times I bought tires, I bought them locally because I wanted to ensure of the manufacture date. I don't know if it mattered in the big picture or not, but I wanted to ensure that MY tires would be no more than 6 months old. Lots of manufacturers claim their tires shouldn't be run more than X years,,,10 years is common in many warranties. You can buy 'new' tires that may be 2-4 years old before they are even mounted on a wheel!! My local guy agreed to my terms and located tires less than 6 months old. I was happy.

Ryan
              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Keith,
                Here are some past M&M links of possible interest to you:

https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...-question-time

https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...25-60-15-tires

https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...-tire-question

Ryan
                Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I understand why they do it, and I understand it's all about the $$ for companies. Can't fault them there.
                  My issue is (and it is MY issue) when I find something I stick to it and don't take change well. I have to research the heck out of something before I will plop down the money for them...
                  Up here where I live, I have been here for 6 winters. Of the 6, this year is the only year I NEEDED the truck... all the previous years I have driven the mustang or the Jeep (with no top). I do not want to get a set of summer tires, and a set of winter tires. Just one set, for year round, like my BFG's were...
                  I will have to decide on a set soon, as 'summer' is coming, and a 'vert is a terrible thing to waste!
                  It's not getting them installed, heck, I'll take them to the Auto Hobby Shop on base and install them myself if I need to (and can find the time). It's deciding on a good set when I am not longer in the know...

oh, I have tried TireRack and a couple of other places... they offer tires I used to install and I have an issue with putting them on my personal car. And then they offer a couple of others, which sound good, but they are summer only tires... I think I am literally between a rock and a hard place on this one...

I think I will go with the BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S or Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus...
                  Last edited by KG4ZRC; 02-26-2017, 07:19 PM.
                  Keith - member #70

Welcome to the USSA

Comment

Working...
                  X