Sluggish 95 GT - Torque Converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish 95 GT - Torque Converter?

My buddy called me Sunday afternoon and asks what would be causing his car to be a complete dog from launch and hesitate when it downshifts during acceleration. I immediately thought of fuel deliver issues since it doesn't run rough at idle. We take it for a drive and it is flat on launch. Terrible. Runs great once we were up to highway speeds except for kicking it when you could noticeably feel the bog. It has a lot of lag when shifting from first to second too. While we were still out and about I asked what all he had had done to it recently and he mentioned a transmission flush because it didn't want to shift unless he let off the gas. They also replaced his torque converter. They said it was bad. No idea why since it only has 75k original miles on it. Anyway, my question is, did the GT have a higher stall converter than other AOD-E equipped cars/trucks?
    David G.
    1969 Mustang Sportsroof
    1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
    2002 Supercrew Lariat
    Mustangsandmore Member # 1964

Cat converters?
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
      Cat converters?
      I had considered that but with only 75k miles...? Maybe since they dropped the exhaust to replace the TC the internals got knocked loose?
      David G.
      1969 Mustang Sportsroof
      1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
      2002 Supercrew Lariat

Comment

Check and see if they mashed a fuel line replacing the transmission.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by 69 Sportsroof View Post

I had considered that but with only 75k miles...? Maybe since they dropped the exhaust to replace the TC the internals got knocked loose?
          There would likely be codes too. Just throwing it out there. Hard to diag an issue over the net.

M&M Member #91
          Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

The CEL light isn't on but that doesn't mean much really. It's a 95 GT so it's not OBDII and I don't know anyone outside of a mechanic that has a scanner for OBDI.
            David G.
            1969 Mustang Sportsroof
            1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
            2002 Supercrew Lariat

Comment

If you have a shop manual like a Chiltons you can check the codes by shorting out a couple of the plugs and counting the blinks of the CEL., no scanner needed. You can probably also google up the codes and a diagram of the plug pins and which ones to short or connect.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I didn't think of that. Thanks.
                David G.
                1969 Mustang Sportsroof
                1998 Mustang V6 Coupe
                2002 Supercrew Lariat

Comment

Yeah, that’s something if you don’t do it often you forget about it, at least I do.

Comment

Working...
                  X