Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 Cougar restoration journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks. I should follow your suggestion a little better than I have. I did manage to send an email to Gates customer service this morning explaining their error. Don't know that it'll solve anything, but at least I tried.

Here's my accomplishment for today:

https://youtu.be/W1tC07soVLY

There's supposed to be a video, but I'm having some issues getting it linked (you should be able to click on the youtube address). The picture is a still from the video. If you look close you can see the carburetor is leaking and definitely needs a rebuild. That's next on the list. This video was actually the second time I fired it. The first time only took a few seconds longer. I primed the fuel system by putting a MityVac pump at the carburetor and sucked fuel with it until it came out. Once the carburetor is rebuilt I'll need to reset the timing, too. Sort of amazing I got close enough first try to get it to run. I still don't have the power steering system hooked up. I didn't feel like trying to mess with it at the same time I was trying to get the engine fired. Once it's running a little better I'll work on getting it hooked back up.
    Last edited by Steve68Cougar; 06-19-2018, 08:54 PM.
    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

• looks good to me
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

• I got my safety catch installed on the motor mounts. I probably could have used a slightly shorter bolt. Hopefully I won't put them to use.

A friend of mine had an extra door handle, so I replaced the '68 flip-up type with a now-painted version of the '67 that matches the door panels better:

I just kinda like this picture:

I decided to throw the glasspacks back on and will probably redo the whole system a little later. I started it up and it wouldn't you know, it sounds just like it did 15 years ago.

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Still a ways from roadworthy, but it moved under its own power today.

Here it is with the Bullitt:

There is still work to do like adjusting the steering linkage, align it, adjust the clutch, change the rockers and finish the interior. After 15 years of sitting, it's nice to at least be able to fire it up and move it.
          68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• cool deal ! another step closer.........

Keith
            34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

Keith

Comment

• That's great! It looks good out in the sunlight. Maybe you can get some cruising in before long!
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• I spent last night trying to get rid of the valvetrain noise that sounded like an issue with a rocker on the driver's side. I wasn't sure which one it was and couldn't see anything obvious, so I decided to get a whole new set of rockers for it. There was very little difference in cost between stock replacements and a set of Comp Cams Magnum rockers, so I spent a few extra bucks on those. They had the 1.7:1 ratio rockers on clearance, so that's what I got. Here's what it looked like on the passenger side with the new parts installed:

I put everything back together and there was a new valvetrain noise, so I shut it off right away and took the valve covers back off. Here's what the driver's side looked like:

I hear this is almost inevitable if you use anything other than high-clearance valve covers. I clearanced (cut out) the offending area and put them back on. The passenger side needed just a few little taps and it won't be a problem, either. Now that everything's back on, the lifter noises - both original and latest - are now gone. One other thing I noticed is that the engine seems to be idling better. I'm not exactly sure what caused that, but it'll sit at 750rpm and idle quite nicely even when it's not warmed up (although it's about 100 degrees out today). Next step is to finish up the steering adjustments and get the clutch adjusted better.
                68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• keep at it !

Keith

Comment

• Looking good Steve. I like the pic with the Bullitt Mustang, they are both almost the same color.
                    Mike & Robin Grentus
                    69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                    08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                    00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                    99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                    14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                    M&M Member #- 890
                    MCA #- 4549
                    My 69 Coupe build album
                    http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Working...