Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 Cougar restoration journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the torque box from the front:

The floor pan is welded in, but needs some finish work yet. Once I get that done I'll move over to the passenger side.
    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

I got the driver's seat riser put in today:

I decided not to spend a lot of time grinding the top side of the floor pan, so here's what it'll end up looking like under the carpet:

I started cutting out the passenger side torque box and found rust similar to the driver's side. Here's a shot of the rocker panel after I got the front of the torque box removed:

There's still quite a bit to cut out, but at least I've got a start. I'm hoping what I learned on the driver's side will make this go a little quicker.
      68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

The passenger side looks very similar to the driver's side. It'll take some new sheetmetal in the rocker panels (shown above) and also in the frame rail. I got a big chunk of the rusty stuff out this evening:

I've still got to cut a little more out then I can start putting patches back in and replace the torque box and firewall. The very front corner of the floor pan will need to get patched, too.
        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I got the rocker panel done today. I did enough grinding on it so I can slip the torque box past it when the time comes. Here's the "after" shot:

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Steve,
            You're making good progress, my friend... A labor of love for sure.

May I ask from where are you purchasing your patch panels from - Scott Drake?

Ryan
            Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Ryan,

Thanks. It's fun to get back into working on it.

So far almost everything has come from NPD. The pre-shaped pieces are mostly the Canadian made pieces. There have been a few miscellaneous pieces that were scrap from work or the local metal distributor. The repro stuff has been mostly just "close" and required some massaging. My export brace is a Scott Drake piece. Looks like it's the most accurate thing I've bought. If I was to do it again I'd probably get everything either from Dynacorn or Scott Drake.

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I took a few days off and went with my wife to Ashland, Kansas to help with the aftermath of the wildfires that swept through there early last week. Here's a picture from going down the road:

My wife is a vet, so she was helping with animal welfare issues (to keep from getting graphic) and I was helping her and shuffling volunteers around. The fires burned somewhere around 750,000 acres (640 acres is a square mile) and this was a lot of pasture land with cattle. It's been a pretty rough week for wildfires in Kansas (and several other states).

Anyway, I got back to the car again tonight. I took a piece of scrap metal (prototype piece that didn't make it on a machine) and turned it into an inner frame rail patch. Here's the before:

and after:

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I got the torque box in place with a little modification that I used on the other side. In order to get the 2-piece torque box past the inner rail flap without taking it apart, I notched the torque box flap like this:

and will bend it back in place once I get everything in place. Here's what it looks like prior to welding it in:

I just need to fold the pieces back down into place and weld it in. It made the whole process pretty easy. Once that's done I'll have to get the firewall patched back in.
                  68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

The repro sheetmetal on the passenger side firewall was off a bunch - as in an inch. Here's the original:

and here's what it looks like when the bends actually line up:

I made an outline on the firewall where the new piece fits:

I'll probably end up cutting a bit off of the left side of the new sheetmetal so I don't have to cut out a couple of spot welds. There's still some work to do on the torque box to get it placed a little better, but it's not too far off of firing up the welder again.
                    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I got the upper piece put in place and started welding it from the outside:

There's still a ways to go, but it seemed to fit fairly nice once it was slid over. It's looking like the torque box will need to get modified so it slides up a little more and makes contact with the firewall a little better. Much like the rest of the "Spectra Premium" pieces, modifications seem to be necessary to get them to fit.
                      Last edited by Steve68Cougar; 03-16-2017, 04:16 PM.
                      68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Looking good, Steve.... I'd say no one should question your "Metal Fabricator" skills.... add it to the resume'.

Ryan

Comment

Thanks, Ryan. I still feel pretty amateurish, but at least things seem like they'll function.

I made a little more progress yesterday. The torque box ended up being a problem. I had to cut the top seam apart and reposition it so the top piece could be welded to the firewall. Here's what it looked like after I got it in place:

I managed to get the firewall patch in place, but not without more modification to the new sheetmetal. As it turns out, the height dimension was also off by about half an inch.

I still have quite a bit of finish welding to do and will end up drilling some holes so I can weld layers together. At least the major portion of fitting things together is pretty much complete.

I find it interesting that the driver's side sheetmetal fit pretty well, but the passenger side stuff was off significantly. The car hasn't been in an accident that would have messed with these dimensions. The measurements of the car were consistent from side to side, so I really don't think it was that the car sheetmetal had moved around. I suppose that's why they say "some modification may be necessary".
                          68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Looking good Steve, keep up the good work & keep posting progress pics.
                            Mike & Robin Grentus
                            69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                            08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                            00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                            99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                            14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                            M&M Member #- 890
                            MCA #- 4549
                            My 69 Coupe build album
                            http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
                              Looking good Steve, keep up the good work & keep posting progress pics.
                              Thanks. After seeing your differential housing with a new coat of paint, I decided to crawl under my car and do a little "before" photography. Everything is pretty oily (from an engine oil leak and the pinion seal is leaking). Here's a couple of shots:

As I've mentioned (somewhere), the differential was supposed to have come out of a '59 Ranchero. The center section is out of a '72 F150. It's got a 3.70 Traction-Lok in it, but unfortunately 28 spline axles. i know I'll need to get the pinion seal changed, so I may see about rebuilding the Traction-Lok and upgrading to 31 splines at the same time. I've changed the clutch pack in an 8.8 but have never really messed with a 9". Any idea how much HP a stock third member is good for?
                              68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Steve68Cougar View Post
                                ....... have never really messed with a 9". Any idea how much HP a stock third member is good for?
                                Steve,
                                If you're going to keep it on street tires, and the FE is a street build, then I'd say it would not be the 'weak link'. Meaning the street tires will be and they'll break loose and let the power go to spinning the tires before the power breaks the third member....... But if you plan on putting 'sticky tires' on the rear, then it might be a stock u-joint or......

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X