Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 Cougar restoration journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Steve,
    If you're going to keep it on street tires, and the FE is a street build, then I'd say it would not be the 'weak link'. Meaning the street tires will be and they'll break loose and let the power go to spinning the tires before the power breaks the third member....... But if you plan on putting 'sticky tires' on the rear, then it might be a stock u-joint or......

Ryan

I'm not exactly sure where my FE build will end up as far as horsepower, but I can guarantee the car will end up with CalTracs and slicks. The "street" tires I had on the back of it when I parked it were Hoosier Quick Time Pros (they're actually still there, they just won't be usable due to age and deterioration). I have a number of friends who like to drag race, so I'd like to have something I can take out there and have some fun with occasionally. I know one of them used to be a regular here (TurboGT), but he's been so busy doing projects that internet forums kind of fell off his radar.
    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Steve, A standard single rib 9" is not worth using.Not very strong at all.The '57 axle housing isn't a performance piece either.The original narrowed housing I had in my car was a 57' unit.When an axle housing bends the tubes move forward on both sides (like a banana).That's what happened to mine.Spend some money and save yourself some headaches.An FE motor makes a lot of low end torque depending on camshaft selection.The 406 I had In my car would snap a 28 spline axle like a toothpick @3500rpm.I would suggest at least a 33 spline aftermarket axle and a braced axle housing.Also make sure there are reinforcing plates inside where the tubes meet the center of the housing.I would think you could find a bolt in unit from one of the rear end companies like moser.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I looked around on the Moser site a bit and they seemed to skip from 31 spline to 35 on everything except a spool. I'll​ have to do some more looking and comparing on that subject. I think the bracing will be the way to go, too. Just need to figure out how to do it without warping the housing. I'm not sure I've seen the plates you mentioned. With the small block I've had in there I've never needed to worry about stuff like this. Ah, the joys (expense) of more power!
        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

The plates are inside where the center section bolts in.The axles pass through them on either side. If you decide to install the brace, you'll need a jig to hold it in place while welding.My fabricator hates doing them because the thing moves all over the place.You can check ,but I think a 35 spline axle will fit down a small ford housing end.Now would be a good time to consider a narrower housing for tire clearance too.Mark Williams is the choice for axles,buy 'em once and never look back.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. I may see about farming out welding the braces in place, as I don't have a jig to keep things lined up. The axle tubes don't neck down on the ends, so I think this would be considered a "big bearing" differential. I could be wrong. I'm not really planning on mini-tubs or anything like that, so at this point I'll probably stick with what I've got. It's already 2" narrower than stock.

I've been mostly cleaning up the engine compartment trying to get it ready for a coat of paint, but I managed to get some shock tower reinforcement plates welded in today. Here's the driver's side:

I'll do some additional reinforcements on the inside once I get things cleaned up and some parts made. My lack of a good press brake will make the wrap around pieces a little tricky, but the flat pieces should be pretty straight forward.
            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Today was step one for my conversion to a black interior. My wife and I took a little trip over to Missouri and picked up not only one, but two sets of decor interior panels. He also had the rear quarter pieces, but couldn't find one of them for the "extra" set. Nothing is concourse quality, but they're plenty good for my driver. Here's what they look like cleaned up a bit:

There are a few other non-reproduced "Cougar only" pieces I need to find (like the dash face), but most everything else can be purchased new.

I'm pretty sure these are actually for a '67, but it's not going to be an original car anyway.
              Last edited by Steve68Cougar; 04-02-2017, 05:17 PM.
              68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Steve68Cougar View Post
                . The axle tubes don't neck down on the ends, so I think this would be considered a "big bearing" differential.
                Measure the axle flange bolt pattern,then compare it to the pictures/dimensions in the Mark Williams catalog or online.Keep up the good work. I had a '67 Cougar XR7 years ago, 294 C.I. (289 .040 over) and a toploader. Still have a soft spot in my heart for those cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Ugrich View Post
                  Measure the axle flange bolt pattern,then compare it to the pictures/dimensions in the Mark Williams catalog or online.Keep up the good work. I had a '67 Cougar XR7 years ago, 294 C.I. (289 .040 over) and a toploader. Still have a soft spot in my heart for those cars.
                  Good idea on the flange bolt pattern. And the answer is... small pattern. The axle tube OD is 3.0" and the flange pattern was approximately 3.4 x 2, which would equate to 3.375 x 2. I learned something today (or maybe relearned what I had forgotten 20 years ago). I was always under the impression that a '59 Ranchero had the big bearings, but apparently that's not right (or at least not always the case).
                  68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

While I was confirming the small bearings (pulled the axle out and measured), I decided to fix a damaged area of the frame rail done by a u-bolt tab on the traction bars installed by a previous owner. Here's the before:

and here's the after:

Not the prettiest job, as I ended up using weld as a filler. I didn't get the radius exactly right either, but it's close enough for being under the car.

One other thing I confirmed this evening is that the differential is definitely 57.25" from flange to flange.
                    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. I may see about farming out welding the braces in place, as I don't have a jig to keep things lined up. The axle tubes don't neck down on the ends, so I think this would be considered a "big bearing" differential. I could be wrong. I'm not really planning on mini-tubs or anything like that, so at this point I'll probably stick with what I've got. It's already 2" narrower than stock.
                      Steve,
                      Back on post #44, it appears as though your axle housing could also benefit from adding some bracing/gussets to the leaf spring perches. With modified FE power, Cal-Tracs and slicks - you'll be flattening those perches if you don't! You'd be well served to add such pieces to your list of axle housing welding chores.......

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Steve,
                        Back on post #44, it appears as though your axle housing could also benefit from adding some bracing/gussets to the leaf spring perches. With modified FE power, Cal-Tracs and slicks - you'll be flattening those perches if you don't! You'd be well served to add such pieces to your list of axle housing welding chores.......

Ryan
                        Thanks for the additional input. I've been contemplating just selling this setup and go to a narrowed/modified F-150 9". I could incorporate everything into it that's been mentioned and other than the initial purchase price would be very little difference in cost. One other thought I've had is to go to the late big bearing ends and swap over to Explorer/Mountaineer rear brakes since I have a 2000 Mountaineer parts vehicle. One thing I noticed today is that the axles have an "MW" cast into them. I'm thinking that probably means they're aftermarket Mark Williams pieces.

I got a little more work done this evening, which was just fixing the damaged frame rail on the other side. Here's the before:

and after:

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Thanks for the additional input. I've been contemplating just selling this setup and go to a narrowed/modified F-150 9". I could incorporate everything into it that's been mentioned and other than the initial purchase price would be very little difference in cost. One other thought I've had is to go to the late big bearing ends and swap over to Explorer/Mountaineer rear brakes since I have a 2000 Mountaineer parts vehicle. One thing I noticed today is that the axles have an "MW" cast into them. I'm thinking that probably means they're aftermarket Mark Williams pieces.
                          Which axle housing had the "MW" axles....the ones in the '59 housing? How many splines on them? Any pics of the axle castings letters?

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I've been mostly cleaning up the engine compartment trying to get it ready for a coat of paint, but I managed to get some shock tower reinforcement plates welded in today. Here's the driver's side:

I'll do some additional reinforcements on the inside once I get things cleaned up and some parts made. My lack of a good press brake will make the wrap around pieces a little tricky, but the flat pieces should be pretty straight forward.
                            Steve, give Jon a call at OTR that is where I purchased the shock tower reinforcement kit from for my 69 Mustang. Maybe he can sell you the pieces for just the engine bay side since you already welded in the outer ones. Here is the link. http://opentrackerracing.com/product...kit-1967-1970/
                            Mike & Robin Grentus
                            69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                            08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                            00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                            99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                            14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                            M&M Member #- 890
                            MCA #- 4549
                            My 69 Coupe build album
                            http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Which axle housing had the "MW" axles....the ones in the '59 housing? How many splines on them? Any pics of the axle castings letters?

Ryan

Yes, these are the ones in the '59 axle. They are 28 spline if my memory is correct.
                              68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post

Steve, give Jon a call at OTR that is where I purchased the shock tower reinforcement kit from for my 69 Mustang. Maybe he can sell you the pieces for just the engine bay side since you already welded in the outer ones. Here is the link. http://opentrackerracing.com/product...kit-1967-1970/
                                When I originally saw the $199 price tag I decided I could make the pieces myself for much cheaper (less than $20 for the sheetmetal). I'm finding that getting a correct shape on the wrap around pieces is a little tricky without the proper equipment. I may end up calling him if I run out of patience getting them to fit. Thanks for the link.
                                68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X