Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 Cougar restoration journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve68Cougar View Post

Yes, these are the ones in the '59 axle. They are 28 spline if my memory is correct.
    Steve, I'm not sure what the "MW" stands for ,but I can assure you they are not Mark Williams pieces.Williams axles look like this ...http://markwilliams.com/axles.aspx?g...FYE9gQodwjwB5Q What you have there is a 28 spline wishbone.

Comment

I'm not surprised. Nothing else on the car has been "high end", so no reason this would be different. The axles are well over 30 years old, as they were in the car when I got it. I figured the looks may have changed over the years, which was why I made the guess. I'd be interested if someone knows what they are, but I'll have them changed out before I put any real power down so it's not too big of a deal.

It looks a lot like some stock axles I've seen. Sounds like the lettering may just be a coincidence.
      Last edited by Steve68Cougar; 04-08-2017, 11:29 PM.
      68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
      '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
      Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Here's a picture of the headlight buckets, with one being the "before" and the other being the "after":

The second one will take a bit longer because I'm having to do a little more to it. Rust is apparently common on those, as the parts from my '67 parts car were also rusted in the same area but not quite as bad. I decided to fix the originals rather than swap to the '67 pieces, as both required work anyway.
        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I pulled the side plate off the other headlight bucket and here's what it looked like:

After making filler plates for both the main frame and side plate, here's what it looks like:

I still have quite a bit of cleanup work before painting it, but at least the metal work is done.
          68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Didn't get any work done tonight, but I snapped a couple of pictures of my transmission. Here's the tag:

and here's the casting number:

I've got a bit of conflicting data. The RUG AV1 is supposed to be a '70-'71 Mustang 302-4V or 351-4V. That is basically consistent with what I was told it was out of, except it was a '71 351-4V Cougar. There didn't appear to be a separate Cougar part number listed, though, so my assumption is that they're the same. The D2AR would typically be for '72 model year cars, but apparently that wasn't the case here. Online research said they used a D2AR number in some '71's, but it also showed it should be a C8AR case for the RUG-AV1 tag. I'm wondering if this just managed to get caught in a changeover. As far as I know the transmission has never been apart and was the original one for the car I got it out of. Does anyone know of any pluses or minuses for this particular setup? It's a 28 spline, wide ratio as was expected by the tag.
            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I made a trip down to Tulsa, OK today for a little inspiration. There was some neat stuff there. Here's probably my favorite car:

It's a '68 Cougar GTE. I'm a little partial to the color, but I also like the drivetrain. It's a 428CJ with a 4 speed. They only made 3 of them with this drivetrain combo and GTE package, and this is one of the 2 remaining. This one is unrestored and still in pretty nice shape. There were 3 other GTE's there, but they were all 427 with C6 automatics. I was surprised to learn that just because it's a GTE doesn't mean it came as an XR-7. Two of the 427 cars were not XR-7's.
              68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Steve, those are some nice Cougars. I am partial to the 1970.
                Mike & Robin Grentus
                69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                M&M Member #- 890
                MCA #- 4549
                My 69 Coupe build album
                http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Yes, these are the ones in the '59 axle. They are 28 spline if my memory is correct.
                  The two dots indicate 31 spline axles, 28 spline axles have the open oval recess, like in the bottom picture on this page:

http://mustangsandmore.com/memberpag...oration_m.html
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                  My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
                  Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

I made a trip down to Tulsa, OK today for a little inspiration. There was some neat stuff there. Here's probably my favorite car:

It's a '68 Cougar GTE. I'm a little partial to the color, but I also like the drivetrain. It's a 428CJ with a 4 speed. They only made 3 of them with this drivetrain combo and GTE package, and this is one of the 2 remaining. This one is unrestored and still in pretty nice shape. There were 3 other GTE's there, but they were all 427 with C6 automatics. I was surprised to learn that just because it's a GTE doesn't mean it came as an XR-7. Two of the 427 cars were not XR-7's.
                    That car, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is a former Maine car. I use to drool over it every year at a local car show. It's perfect. It was owned by the brother of the original owner and spent most of it's life in a basement. The little brother wasn't able to even drive it until the original owner passed away, IIRC.
                    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                    My Mach's restoration progress
                    My Sprint's restoration progress
                    I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
                    Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

The two dots indicate 31 spline axles, 28 spline axles have the open oval recess, like in the bottom picture on this page:

http://mustangsandmore.com/memberpag...oration_m.html
                      You got me curious, so I just went out and pulled an axle. It's definitely a 28 spline. I couldn't get the camera on my phone to focus in on it enough, otherwise I'd attach a picture. It's weird that it has markings typical of a 31 spline. I wish it was right!

The GT-E is the car you were thinking of, and the story sounds correct. The current owner bought it at auction for something like $228,000. Definitely a little rich for my paycheck, but it's good to see he's still out showing it and didn't just put it in hiding.
                      68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

When I got my car the gauge cluster had been painted all black, I'm sure due to the chrome being faded. Here's what it looked like when I pulled it out of the dash:

I'm not planning on spending the $400 or so it takes to get it chromed, so I took a cue from my '08 Bullitt and painted it to give it more of a "satin" look. Here's the results:

I don't think it turned out too bad. I'll make the door handles match. I have a set of '67 door handles (to go with the '67 panels I found) and they were corroded pretty bad, so I don't feel too bad sanding them down and putting a coat of paint on them.

One of these days I'll get the seats, carpet and miscellaneous parts ordered so I can start making better progress again.
                        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I started doing a little more work on the interior. I got some AccuMatch interior paint and started working on the dash and steering column. It's really hard to tell exactly what the color looks like here:

Out in the sunlight the color and metallic flake show up a little better:

I've had a few issues with the paint reacting with the old paint, but changing my technique has helped quite a bit. If you start with a couple of really light coats and let it dry it seems to prevent most of the reaction (basically looks like bubbles). If that happens then I just grab the sandpaper and smooth it back out before putting on another coat. I actually redid the steering column piece pictured above after the picture was taken, as it had more flaws in it than I was willing to put up with. I've still got a little more work with this paint, then it will be on to painting some of the interior panels with the SEM Landau Black interior/plastic paint.
                          68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

A lot of the time bubbles can be caused by silicones, like those in Armour All. That stuff is hard to get rid of!
                            Paint looks good, like that color.
                            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                            -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
                            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

It's very possible that there was silicone inadvertently sprayed on it at some point. I'm liking the color, too. Today I got the steering column put back together except for the wheel (still working on it) and also got some painting done. The steering wheel pad (don't remember the technical name) was one of the first things on the list. Here's the pad before:
                              IMG_20170702_125947426[1] by Steve68Cougar, on Flickr

and here's the after with the trim pieces:

IMG_20170702_143309207[1] by Steve68Cougar, on Flickr

I didn't get a before picture on the trim pieces, but they were faded to where there was only base material (plastic) showing. They got painted the same silver color as the gauge surrounds. The black background on the Cougar emblem was a bit tricky. I still didn't get it perfect, but a syringe and 24 gauge needle worked pretty well. I just sprayed the paint into a container and sucked it up with the syringe. I could control the placement and volume pretty well.
                              Last edited by Steve68Cougar; 07-15-2017, 11:13 AM.
                              68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Looking good Steve, keep up the good work.
                                Mike & Robin Grentus
                                69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                                08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                                00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                                99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                                14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                                M&M Member #- 890
                                MCA #- 4549
                                My 69 Coupe build album
                                http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Working...
                                X