Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 Cougar restoration journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Steve, if you're still out there - I was enjoying this thread. Any updates?

Comment

Unfortunately my lack of posts is because of lack of progress. Summer seems to have slowed things down. I'm hoping to get back at it before too long. My budget is also in a bit of a hold pattern due to another automotive possibility. As it stands now, I bought a bunch of cans of POR-15 Top Coat and have done a bit of painting on some of the engine compartment. it's not enough to take a picture of yet, but it's a start. I ended up pulling the headliner out and will be replacing it with a black one. From what I've seen, that might be a little tricky. Most of the interior painting is done, but I'll need to do some touch up work. Other things in the near future will be some more welding to close the cowl back up and some work on the shock towers. I appreciate your interest, and will start posting again (using Flickr instead of Photobucket) once I start getting noticeable progress done again. I usually drop by this website every few days to see progress that other people are making on their cars. It's a good motivator to continue with what I started. At this point my goal is still to have it running by it's 50th birthday, which will be sometime around January 30, 2018 (according to the door tag).
      68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
      '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
      Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

I missed your post on the steering wheel pad restoration, that came out great!
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
        My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Steve, keep plugging along. I am shooting for the same thing, to have my 69 Coupe running by its 50th birthday also which is 11/26/18.
          Mike & Robin Grentus
          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
          M&M Member #- 890
          MCA #- 4549
          My 69 Coupe build album
          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

I finally got around to doing a little more work today. I decided it was time to start closing up the cowl. Here's the before:

2017-12-10_04-55-21

Here's welded up, filled and ready for paint:

2017-12-10_04-56-28

and here's what it looks like with the first coat of paint:

2017-12-10_04-57-35

It was still wet so it looks pretty shiny. I may need to go back and touch it up a bit after it dries and I can see all of the imperfections. It's been long enough that my finishing skills may have slipped lower than they were when I was going earlier this year.
            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Looks good to me Steve. Keep up the good work, & keep the pics coming.
              Mike & Robin Grentus
              08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
              M&M Member #- 890
              MCA #- 4549
              My 69 Coupe build album

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I got a little more done over the past week or so. Here's the passenger side before paint:

My next step was to weld up the inner shock tower flanges like the big block cars had done. Here's the passenger side:

I'll probably forego the wrap around plates for now. I think with the dog bone on the outside, these flanges on the inside, and an export brace, it should be stiff enough for what I'm going to do with it. I still need to do quite a bit of cleanup on the engine compartment before doing a little more painting. After that I'll look at putting the radiator support back on.

My original goal of having the car running at the end of January isn't going to happen. My "set in stone" date will end up being next September. That is the 30th anniversary of me getting the car running for the first time.
                68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I decided to go ahead and get the radiator support put back on before I did any more painting.

Rather than remove the whole front crossmember, I spliced the support into it with most of the original part remaining. I mainly didn't want to remove that many spot welds and take a chance on everything moving around. The way it is, everything seems to line up as good as it did before (got the same measurements as with the original parts). Here's the splice on the passenger side before it gets the grinder put to it:

I've got quite a bit of clean up work to do yet, but for the most part the welding is complete. Once I get things painted I'll be able to start reassembly.
                  68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Looks great. If I can offer a suggestion, pause here and test fit your fenders and hood before going on. I didn’t do that when I did my Mach and ended up having to cut off my aprons and redo them so I could get everything to line up right, and trust me you don’t want to do that after everything is painted.

Comment

Nice work Steve. I welded up the flanges on the shock towers on my 69 Coupe & added the BB shock tower supports & the Boss 302 T/A racing supports.

Mike & Robin Grentus
                      08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                      M&M Member #- 890
                      MCA #- 4549
                      My 69 Coupe build album

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                        Looks great. If I can offer a suggestion, pause here and test fit your fenders and hood before going on. I didn’t do that when I did my Mach and ended up having to cut off my aprons and redo them so I could get everything to line up right, and trust me you don’t want to do that after everything is painted.
                        That sounds like a good idea. My initial measurements to the corners ended up the same as the original pieces, but my experience with reproduction sheetmetal means there may be some discrepancies on some of the other areas. Thanks for the suggestion.
                        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
                          Nice work Steve. I welded up the flanges on the shock towers on my 69 Coupe & added the BB shock tower supports & the Boss 302 T/A racing supports.

Thanks. I was really looking at doing everything you did, but will stick with what I did for now. I don't think my 289 will tear things up too bad. When I have things apart later to redo bodywork and swap in an FE I may look at adding the other pieces.
                          68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Steve68Cougar View Post

That sounds like a good idea. My initial measurements to the corners ended up the same as the original pieces, but my experience with reproduction sheetmetal means there may be some discrepancies on some of the other areas. Thanks for the suggestion.
                            You can imagine the horror you feel as you go to bolt the fenders on and find the holes are nowhere close to where they should be. I hate doing jobs twice, not to mention throwing away new parts.

Comment

I took measurements of the f/e sheet metal before cutting out the old rotted stuff & then I clamped the new pieces in & re-measured before welding any thing in to make sure it was all going back to where the old metal was, even though all I replaced was both front inner fender panels.
                              Mike & Robin Grentus
                              08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                              M&M Member #- 890
                              MCA #- 4549
                              My 69 Coupe build album

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

You can imagine the horror you feel as you go to bolt the fenders on and find the holes are nowhere close to where they should be. I hate doing jobs twice, not to mention throwing away new parts.
                                That would be really frustrating (to put it nicely). I've had a few repro parts I've only used small parts of or hacked up. Hopefully this will not be one of them. One of the unknowns I will end up having is how my other front fenders will line up. I'm putting the originals back on for now, but they are eventually going to be replaced by some '67 fenders I've got that are in much better shape (no rust and will have essentially no filler in them). I suppose I'll deal with them when I get to that point, but they should be essentially the same as my '68 panels other than the side marker holes.
                                68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X