Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 Cougar restoration journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday!

This is on the underside of the rear decklid and shows the original Augusta Green color. It's one of few parts I've seen on the car that wasn't made in Detroit.
    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

In honor of it's 50th birthday yesterday, here's as good as the car ever looked in the last 30 years:

This was taken in about 1995 just a few years after it got a paint job. I've actually spent the last couple of days out in the garage continuing my work on it. It's been mostly scraping off undercoating, but I found some rust right around where the rear bumper bolts on, so I'm starting to tear into that and get some new sheetmetal in it.
      68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

The scraping process is coming along. My Harbor Freight heat gun gave up and I had to get another one. Here's a sample of the underside:

I'm still working on getting rust out of the back end of the car. There's some old body work that's going to have to stay for now, but I did replace a little sheetmetal on the trunk drop down panel.

I still need to do a little more grinding and add a hole for the backup light wiring. I'm not going to spend too much more time on it, as it's under the car and the entire panel will eventually get replaced when I put new quarter panels on it.
        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

This is what the paint in the engine compartment ended up looking like:

As with the rest of the car, it's not perfect but it's good enough for a driver. I also started putting the front suspension back together a bit. I still need to get new rotors, so they're not completely assembled yet:

The strut rod had been painted blue previously, which I don't think was stock. I decided to keep it blue just for a little contrast.
          68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

I got the power steering control valve rebuilt. The aluminum end cap had been hit hard enough previously to leave a little hole in it. Fortunately my TIG skills were good enough to plug up the hole. Here's the completed unit:

The rotors came in, so I got the assembly back together again. Obviously I still have to install the spring and associated parts before it's completed, but it's at least another step forward.
            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

With all of the talk about the aftermarket drop brackets being weak, I decided to do a little "upgrade". Here's what it looked like before:

and here it is now tied into the torque box gusset:

I took it back off and painted it black to match the rest of the underside of the car. Hopefully this will keep anything from moving around.
              68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Today was one of those nerve wracking days. Fortunately everything went alright and here's the end result:

Using spring compressors on the front springs always makes me nervous, so it's always nice to have the job done.

One other thing I got knocked off the list is getting a coat of paint on the underside of the car. While it's far from perfect, it definitely looks a lot better.

I'm still looking at pulling the differential out and cleaning it up a bit. The pinion seal has a leak, so I need to pull the 3rd member and make sure it's nothing more serious than a new seal.
                68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Nothing more exciting than having a spring jump out of a compressor and go flying across the floor!

I like the upgrade to the PS drop bracket. I have seen those actually cause the frame to break right there, lots of pressure in a small area. I've seen several different mods, some make a "U" to go around the frame rail, others just enlarge the mounting surface, yours is the first I've seen with a gusset to help spread the pressure. looks like it should work good.
                  ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                  -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                  -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                  " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                    Nothing more exciting than having a spring jump out of a compressor and go flying across the floor!

I like the upgrade to the PS drop bracket. I have seen those actually cause the frame to break right there, lots of pressure in a small area. I've seen several different mods, some make a "U" to go around the frame rail, others just enlarge the mounting surface, yours is the first I've seen with a gusset to help spread the pressure. looks like it should work good.
                    I was doing my best to "aim" the spring some direction other than right at me. I used the compressor style that has a little pin to keep the compressors in place, but it still makes me nervous.

I really debated whether to use the drop bracket. I've run the Hedman headers pretty much since I've had the car and not used one. There wasn't any metal to metal contact, but I'm suspicious that it was maybe close enough to the boot to make it disintegrate. After hearing about the frame breakages you mentioned (and seeing the $140 price tag on the "good" one that's supposed to prevent it from happening), I decided to see about doing some beefing up. The torque box gusset had a slot in it that looked like a nice place to tie into, so that's what I did.
                    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Here's the latest. I've started putting a few things together, including in and around the engine compartment. I got rid of the aftermarket fluid reservoir and went with a stock one. I also got my ignition box repositioned and the voltage regulator mounted.

It looks a little better than it did before.
                      68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Looking good, nice work Steve. I like the extra support you put on the p/s ram drop bracket.
                        Mike & Robin Grentus
                        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                        M&M Member #- 890
                        MCA #- 4549
                        My 69 Coupe build album
                        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

• Very cool, progress is a great thing. I hear you on the spring fun, I had one go whizzing past my ear once. That will get your attention!

Did you change the seat insets on your control valve? I didn’t and I now regret it. Having a newly rebuilt control valve leak sure stinks.
                          '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                          My Mach's restoration progress
                          My Sprint's restoration progress
                          ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

• Thanks, guys. It's nice to be going back together with things.

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                            Very cool, progress is a great thing. I hear you on the spring fun, I had one go whizzing past my ear once. That will get your attention!

Did you change the seat insets on your control valve? I didn’t and I now regret it. Having a newly rebuilt control valve leak sure stinks.
                            I didn't get the seat insets yet, but have been contemplating doing that. I haven't put any of the hoses back on, so it's something I could still do without too much issue. Sounds like I should probably do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's my pictures for today:

For some reason the pumpkin looks REALLY orange in this picture. It looks more like a typical primer in real life. My pinion seal was leaking so I changed it out. Hopefully my procedure was good enough that I didn't screw up the crush sleeve.

My "nearly all original" car has a '59 Ranchero differential with '67 Cougar brakes and an early 70's F150 3rd member (3.70 gear w/ Traction Lok). I wasn't able to find any brake lines specifically for the '59 Ranchero differential, so I ordered some '65/'66 Mustang brake lines since they are also for a 57.25" wide axle. It wasn't a perfect fit, but with a bit of gentle massaging they worked. OK, maybe the car isn't very original. Heck, the engine block is from a '67 Cougar, the heads are off of a '69 Fairlane and the transmission is from a '71 Cougar. Before too long it'll have a master cylinder from a '74 Maverick, too.

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Here's what can happen when you decide to "modify" the transmission tunnel so you can install a 460 in a '68:

The previous owner decided to go "down and back" with the engine relative to using factory style mounts. Fortunately I had usable pieces from a '67, so I didn't have to buy a new housing. I figured out the issue when I started putting the housing back in. A few hits with the hammer and it fit back into place.

I'm a little concerned about ripping up my motor mount(s), so I decided to build a strap to help keep it from separating. I may make another one and increase the thickness a bit, but it seems like it should work. I'd just throw a new motor mount at it and not worry about it, but my mounts are from a '67, so that's a bit of an adventure. If I break one then I'll have to convert to later ones, as the '67 style mount is no longer available.

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• I did the initial fit up on the brake system today. Much like the rest of the car, everything is mix-n-match. When I switched from front drums to discs, I decided to keep them manual instead of switching to power. I went with the mid 70's Maverick master cylinder and instead of the standard proportioning valve I switched over to an adjustable valve for the rear. One other thing I did back when I drag raced it was to put a line lock in it. I've kept that "just in case" I decide to run it again or feel the need to make some tire smoke. I still need to bench bleed the new master cylinder, so once that's done I'll put my flare fitting making skills to the test. If the color for the lines (to the front) look a little different, it's because I used copper-nickel lines. After doing some research, they seemed to be a good option. They're significantly easier to form and the burst strength is nearly the same as standard steel tubing. Here's what the routing looks like:

One other thing I decided to do was paint the back seat. I've been pretty impressed with the SEM Color Match paint, so I decided since it'll be a while until I get new seats that I'd go ahead and paint the back. It's there basically for looks, so I'm not too worried about wearing. I'll probably go one more round of paint on them, but I thought they look pretty nice even with what I've got on it. Here's the bottom part:

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X