Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 Cougar restoration journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll see if there's any way to get it pulled in further.

I only managed to have one issue this evening, but it'll set me back a few days. I started putting the short block together and one of the rod caps got wedged going on. I got it unstuck, but not without putting a nice gouge in it. I've got a replacement coming. Wouldn't you know, O'Reilly could get it to me faster and cheaper than any place else. It should be here Saturday afternoon as opposed to Tuesday sometime for other places. I did a little cleaning on the tops of the pistons and noticed the part number printed on top. It's L3096F, which is nowhere to be found on any part number lists. One thing I did manage to do was measure the compression height, which seems to be the old standard 1.605 unlike the 1.5815 most pistons use today. That helps out the compression ratio a bit, which is helpful with the rather large chambered '69 351W heads. My figuring shows it should probably still be right around 9.1:1 or so. Not what the 289 heads would have been, but at least it's not terrible. Here's a picture of the shortblock at this point:

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

• This is all I came up with--- https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRW-L3096F-...-/121940763876
      Looks like a TRW replacement cast piston.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Thanks for looking. That page was the closest thing to having information of any pages I've looked at.

I went to pick up the final parts today to get the engine back together and the person I talked to ordered the wrong parts. Yes, it does make a difference if there is a "10" added to the end of the part number. It looks like it'll be Tuesday now before I get them (from someplace else). I decided to get some of the rest of the car back together while I'm waiting. Here's where I'm at on the interior:

If you look close you can see the door opener lever doesn't match with the rest of it. That part is '68 while the rest of it is '67. I haven't been able to locate '68 door panels, so I'm using some '67s. I may still try to trade for '68 parts, but these'll do for now. I still need to get the dash face put on, too. The seats are kind of interesting. They're actually the original light green ones with some SEM paint on them. I'll put covers over them when we start using it, but they'll at least not stick out like a sore thumb on the uncovered parts. Eventually I'll get everything reupholstered, but that's not in the budget for this summer. Along with the interior, I put everything but the hood back on the car as far as bodywork. Here's what it looks like complete:

The pictures still make it look a lot nicer than what it is. It's in pretty desperate need of bodywork and paint, but that's for later, too. It's usable like this, so I'll drive it like this for a while.
        Last edited by Steve68Cougar; 05-20-2018, 10:13 AM.
        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Today included a trip to the tire/wheel shop. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Here's a similar angle to the one above:

And here's one showing where the rear wheel sits relative to the body lines:

The car is still up in the air, so the stance will be a bit different, but this is pretty much what it'll look like once it's on the road again. I'm sure there will be some adjustments to ride height once things get sorted out a bit. The fronts are 215/70R15 on a 15x6 and the rears are 255/60R15 on a 15x8.5. The differential is 2" narrower than the front, so the 8.5" wide rear rim worked out pretty well. I probably could have gone a bit bigger with the tire, but this will be alright. I've been wanting to do this tire/wheel package pretty much since I bought the car, so it's nice to actually see it done.

68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• your getting closer !
            34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

• I made a little more progress, but not as much as I had hoped. I was wanting to take it on a trip this weekend, but parts issues (or lack thereof) will keep that from happening. Here's how it looked Wednesday:

and here's how it looks now:

I was all ready to go with the engine on Wednesday, but a parts issue meant I needed to get a new clutch set for it. I got it at 7:30 this morning and have it put in the car. It's nice to see a shifter coming up through the floor again!

Now that deadline number 1 is past, I'll probably slow down just a bit on the progress. I'd still like to get it going in the next several weeks, though.
              68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Home stretch!

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Damn, you’re rocking and rolling! That looks great, I’d sure be happy driving that.
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                  My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

• Thanks, guys. I'm trying something with my dash pad to simulate what my '08 Bullitt has. I've already figured out it's pretty tricky to get the vinyl to lay right, and you have to be extremely careful with a heat gun or you'll screw up the pattern. I'm still not happy with the final product, but here's a shot of generally what it will look like:

Here's a little closer up:

If I can get the corners and indentations to come out alright I'll go with it. If I can't get it to look right then I'll just paint the pad black and it'll look stock. You can see on the lower one that I cut a little too far and the cuts are showing out the side of the Cougar emblem (which will be redone, too). I've got enough material to try quite a few more times, but I may run out of patience at some point.
                    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• I like that! Much better than the woodgrain many of them had.

Comment

• Thanks. If it was woodgrain I'd actually end up keeping it that way, as that's the XR-7 dash. A factory tach and gauges would have been nice (and significantly more valuable).

Here's a little reminder to myself that making sure parts books get the right numbers put in them is actually important:

I've tried hoses from 2 different places and both of them sent me this obviously incorrect hose. I think Gates screwed something up when they did a cross reference, as anything made by Gates for this application is wrong. I'm heading to another parts store that carries Dayco products, which going by their online measurement makes it appear that it will be correct. I've also got an oil priming shaft/tool on the way so I can prelube everything before I try to start it. Hopefully I can try early next week.
                        68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Coming along nicely, keep up the good work.
                          Mike & Robin Grentus
                          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                          M&M Member #- 890
                          MCA #- 4549
                          My 69 Coupe build album
                          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

• Thanks. The Bullitt needs the front rotors and all of the brake pads changed before I head for the Tulsa Shelby meet this weekend. I'm scheduled for sessions at Hallett Raceway on Friday (road course) and Tulsa International Raceway (dragstrip) on Saturday. Don't think I'll get much done on the Cougar this week. I did get a bit of confirmation on my windshield installation today, though. Here's a picture of the '67 Cougar parts car:

There is obviously a chunk of the gasket missing, which makes it easy to see how the glass is supposed to be installed and where things end up in relation to the body seam. It appears I got everything where it's supposed to be.
                            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Well, Hallett was a lot of fun and I showed just how rusty my drag racing skills are at the strip. My reaction times were all over the place including a nice redlight in the second round.

Anyway, I've been having issues trying to get the right upper radiator hose and finally got it sorted out. It looks like Dayco makes the right part and Gates screwed up their cross reference (the MasterPro is a rebranded Gates - I've got the exact hose with Gates branding on it also). I don't know if Gates even makes the right one under a different part number. Here's the difference:

I'm thinking the Gates (longer) one is maybe supposed to be for the 24" radiator and they just never did one for the 20". If there's a correct Gates number I'd be interested to know what it is.

Here's a picture of the Dayco installed (minus the clamps) to show what it supposed to look like:

I'm really surprised this hasn't been straightened out. I figured with all of the '67's Cougars and Mustangs running around with this setup it would have been fixed already.
                              68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed

Comment

• Steve,
                                NICE PROGRESS, MY FRIEND!!
                                Are you keeping a journal of just what brand and part number you are using (like the upper radiator hose) you determine to be the correct one? If not, I suggest you start doing so!

Ryan
                                Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X