Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of more puzzle pieces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of more puzzle pieces

A new pick and pull just opened up about 35 miles from me, so while the truck is in the shop I went down Friday and checked it out. Got a Saginaw power box off of a S10 as well as the shaft off a Cutlass. Box looks new except for being oily from a leaking line I suppose. Have got to R&R the Pittman arm toward the front for it to work right.

Wife spotted a yard sale and wanted to stop, so since she went with me to the yard, I figured make her happy. She didn't buy anything, but I did! Guy had a box of older tools, I started picking out a few, he told me I could have the whole box for $50. I dug through it, countered with a $40 offer, he accepted. I should have snapped a few pics but didn't think about it. The contents were mostly brand name tools:

New Vice Grips
    New Vice Grip welding clamp
    Kline linemans pliers
    almost a complete set of Craftsman metric 3/8 drive deep well sockets, 10mm-17mm
    several snap on, Craftsman, and Blue Point 1/2 drive sockets
    A long handle Snap On 3/8 ratchet
    a Snap on 3/8 drive pull handle
    a Snap on 1/2 T bar drive
    several 3/8 drive extensions, 3" up to 12"
    several 1/2" drive extensions, 3" up to 12"
    several 1/4" sockets, ratchets, and extensions, different brands
    An ancient metal case orbital sander that need brushes, runs but weak
    a new framing square
    a new chalk box
    and probably some things I forgot.

A good day!
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Sounds like a great day. That box looks just like the one in my '72:

image.jpeg
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Comment

Probably is the same. I wanted one with the Pittman arm already in position like yours, but the yard didn't have any. I just dread taking it off, they can be tough to get off. I do have a puller though.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Out with the old, in with the new. Spent yesterday pulling the old column and box out. Came out easier than I figured it would. Was sore as heck this morning from climbing in and out of the engine compartment so many times yesterday, so I decided to work with the new column. A little off here, a little off there, and I have it mocked up. Went ahead and shortened the connecting shaft, too. Tomorrow I'm going to try to drill the frame for the other two bolts for the box and then build a column support. Didn't think to take any pics, not really much to see yet anyway. Try to get some tomorrow if I think about it.
        Didn't have as much problem getting the pittman arm off as I thought I would. One puller, one impact wrench, and a BFH and it came right off.

Comment

A mid week update........I need to go back to work!

Spent the better part of the day on the steering again. Here's the shortened shaft and column:

And it hooked up to the box. I know, the angle is not right, everything is still loose:

Here you can see the column drop bracket I fabbed up :

And a shot of the dash and new column tightened up and in place:

Comment

Oops, same pic twice. Different view

another view

I've got a few ideas for the horn button later on.

Still lack the lower column support and taking the box back off to drill the final hole.

Comment

Box is bolted down. Had to get creative and weld on a sleeve for the bottom bolt, it was below the bottom of the frame. Stll have to build the sheet metal support box for the bottom of the column, might get to that tomorrow. I get that finished up, then I get to get started with the drill and wire brushes on the firewall and inner fenders so I can repaint them. Hope to start trial fitting the 302 sometime before Thanksgiving.

Comment

Looks like it belongs there.
                '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                My Mach's restoration progress
                My Sprint's restoration progress
                "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Comment

Gotta say, I love seeing the progress on this car. Keep it up!
                  Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
                  '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
                  Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

Ran outta steam today. Just couldn't get motivated to work on it. Cleaned the Vette up, actually just dusted it off, going to big season end cruise in tomorrow in it. Wish mine was ready.

Comment

Got the steering finished up today. Didn't even have to change the length of the drag link, it lined up perfect with the new box straight ahead. Got the outer cover in place on the firewall, ran out of screws. It will disappear when I paint the firewall, you won't even notice it.

Comment

Got the old mounts cut off, everything ground and wire brushed, so it got new paint under hood. Painted it all flat black to start with, was too dull, so left the frame dull and went with gloss on the firewall and side panels. Got truck out of the shop Thursday, loaded a load Friday for Monday, so off time is over for now. Will be Saturdays again, when I'm not tied up with other stuff.

Comment

Nice work!
                          1968 Fastback
                          90 5.0 HO
                          T-5
                          Modern leather buckets
                          Front Disc
                          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Working...
                          X