Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of more puzzle pieces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark one item off the checklist:

Got my new aluminum Champion 5.0 conversion 66 Mustang radiator installed yesterday.
    DSCF0824 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
    DSCF0825 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Would you trust this fan? Cracks on both sides. I reversed it to check hose clearance, probably will switch it back when I get the water neck installed.

DSCF0826 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

My reconditioned water neck

DSCF0829 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I'd replace the fan. When they are cracked like that, it's a ticking time bomb.
      Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
      '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
      Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

I agree with Steve, that's a problem in the making. You were actually lucky to spot it beforehand.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
        My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
        Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

Finally got a free weekend to work on the car a bit. Had the gaskets for a while, so finally bolted the intake on yesterday with new stainless bolts. Also put in a new thermostat and new bypass hose. Still have to get the molded heater hose that ran up to the water piping, nothing else will clear the alternator bracket. Started a TV cable adapter bracket, got the carb linkage bracket shaped, and went to drill the cable hold down bracket, but couldn't find the chuck key to my drill press. Figure it either got knocked off behind my toolbox or the Grandson toted it off. Either way, couldn't do any drilling, so I quit for the day. Ordered a new chuck key off eBay last night, should be here in a few days.

Still a lot to do, and most of it is small, time consuming fabrication work. Shift linkage, exhaust from manifolds to head pipes, driveshaft end, some rewiring, all the kind of stuff that takes time to work out. Upcoming cooler weather will help a lot, no more grass to cut for a while. Maybe by late winter/early spring, I'll get it back on the road again. I'm sure ready for it!

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Keep at it, one piece at a time and soon in time it will be one piece

Comment

Last warm weekend for a while,and I made the best of it! Dived in, got the trans mount installed and bolted down, took driveshaft out so I can cut and lengthen it, it'sabout 4" too short now, got to change the Chevy yoke to a Ford one anyway. Got the TV cable adapter bracket and the throttle cable bracket made and installed, hope my math is right, it should work fine if it is. Also started on some of the wiring, using a small Ford permanent magnet starter that has the solenoid on top like a Chevy, ran the battery cable and solenoid wires ran forward, up and over to the fender, then back to the starter relay. I have to lengthen one of the alternator wires, running a GM alternator, then I can cover those wires with loom. Also made up a new ground and hot battery lead, routed those along the fender also. Going to mirror the wiring on the other side with the coil mounted on the ds fender, then over to the distributor, AC wire will go in the same loom when time comes for it, as well as the temp and oil pressure gauges so there will only be two looms going to the motor, one from each side.
              I eyeballed my shift linkage, going to build a bellcrank to orient travel the correct way, may start on that next time. Slow process, but I'm getting closer to being able to fire it off after I buy a few more pieces.

DSCF0881 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
              DSCF0880 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Comment

Put the same pic twice for some reason, here's the other pic
                DSCF0882 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Comment

Looking good. Progress is a wonderful thing.
                  I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...

Comment

I just wish I could do more, faster. When the temps get below 50*, I just don't care too much to get out there and do anything. I still need to order about another $2-300 worth of parts, maybe after New Years when things get back to normal I can get started on that. Next week is the last full week, then two three day weeks back to back, if I even get that many days. Hobby stuff gets put on hold, household stuff just keeps on regular schedule, no matter how many days I get to work.....

Comment

You and me both, brother. We’re in the single digits and I don’t feel motivated to pay the money to heat the garage, so here I am. Maybe I can bring my dash in and make some progress on that.

Comment

Working...
                      X