Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of more puzzle pieces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We now have an exhaust system!

Started eyeballing where the pipe needed to go, wouldn't you know it, the wishbone was in the way. I figured it would be better to go under instead of over it, the suspension will move up more times than it drops. Funny how the right side dropped outside of the bone, left side dropped right in the middle of it. Anyway, got my two 90* elbows, pointed one straight out and the other straight back, added 24" straight section, viola, we now have exhaust! Still need to pick up one more band clamp to join the elbows so it can be disassembled if the motor has to come back out. Ordered plugs and wires last night. Still have trans linkage to build, cooler to install, driveshaft to build, fan, belt, some sending units and some wiring to finish. A couple of hours here and there, some more moolah, and maybe I'll have her going by mid summer.

DSCF1021 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
    DSCF1020 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
    DSCF1019 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

After all that you must have been exhausted...
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
      My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Yeah, makes you use the old noggin. If I was a better welder, I would have made a 45 out of a 90 and ran it higher up and over. But I'm a better grinder, so this is what I ended up with.....

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Well, I screwed up. Ordered my plugs and wires from Rock Auto, actually had three items, and while trying to make sure they all shipped from the same warehouse, I ordered the wrong plugs. I ordered Autolite 45's, forgetting they were the 13/16" hex instead of the 5/8" peanut plugs. I was checking the recommended gap, which was right for my points ignition, and didn't think about the size. I think I was looking at a 72 Mustang for reference, I was thinking they changed the size of the plugs in 1970, but apparently not. Guess I'll just get a set of the big gap 5/8" plugs for the 92 engine and close them up. Not exactly what I wanted to do, I'd rather have a 5/8" small gap plug.

Comment

Yesterday was one of those days. Had a bad bought with Authur in my right shoulder Friday night, didn't get a lot of sleep, got up Sat feeling tired and the shoulder still hurting, but I wanted to get a little done anyway. I scrounged around my junk and found the old shift linkage, found another one I had saved several years ago, and got a rod off of a junked lawnmower. I think I now have enough pieces to build the bell crank and shift linkage. I eyeballed the bell crank that I had to get perspective, going to have to do some cutting and welding, but I think it will work. After a couple of times of getting down and getting back up, I decided that was going to have to wait until I felt better.

Decided to wire the distributor, found a grommet that with a little knife work fit good. Got to looking at the points and wasn't satisfied with the way they were breaking, so I ended up doing some bending and readjusting them to get a good contact patch. I tell you, parts are not what they used to be. I bought Standard Ignition parts, I've used them for years, but the quality has sure slipped, probably China made in a USA box. I'm going to get it running on the points first, then will probably buy a Distributor for a 85 Mustang GT 5 speed, it's the only DuraSpark distributor that has the proper gear for the roller cam. Don't want to put out that much on that just yet, still other things I need to buy first.

I was going to put in new plugs, but really, these look good, I'm just going to regap them for the points and clean them real good and give them a try. I just didn't have the strength in my arm to break them loose yesterday, so I let that go until later, too. Damn Authur! I then spent a little time with a tape measure figuring out my gas hard line, looks like 36" will get me close to what I want to do with it. Not a lot of progress, but I guess any progress is good. It just sux that I only have one day a week to do anything anymore, and when I've got that time, to feel like crap. I'm a stickler for details, and I have a vision in my head of how I want this to look and work, and it takes time to do it that way. And I'm slow anymore.

Comment

Since I had a long weekend I got a little free time to do some stuff. Started on the bell crank, got it pretty well mocked up now, hope to do a little welding on it in a bit. Using the AOD, I'm having to make up some weird looking linkage. I'm using a factory TV cable and bracket tweaked just a little, and my column to trans linkage is a little funky looking, but I think it will work. Maybe I can snap a pic or two in a little while. Having to stay with the GS right now while the wife is gone on some errands.

Comment

Got my bell crank linkage finished up yesterday. Doesn't look like much, but a lot of figuring and head scratching went into getting something to work with the factory mount and clear the TV lever. Still got to pick up a couple of 1/2" lock nuts for the shaft to keep it from moving around. Works good, have all gears from park to low from how it feels. Get that on, one more item off the list.

IMG_1184 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
                IMG_1183 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Comment

Gotta love progress!
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                  My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Oh yeah! Driveshaft is next project, then I have to start buying parts again, out of the free stuff. I'm thinking $300-400 should get me rolling. And that's not counting the dress up stuff, that's another couple of bills or more. Then it's onto bodywork and paint, but I can do that while it's drivable.

Comment

Two weeks, two updates......progress is good! Put my homebrewed bellcrank on, works perfectly as far as I can tell. Went ahead and put my plug wires on too. Ordered a oil pressure sending unit extension this morning off eBay, still have to get the actual sending unit from Speedway. Didn't get around to the driveshaft yet, got to hot to be grinding and welding, maybe first thing next time. Getting closer to fire up, I'm getting excited!

DSCF1057 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
                      DSCF1058 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X