Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 XR7 S Code 427 upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 XR7 S Code 427 upgrade

Ok, I finally have my block. Fresh iron from Bear Block Motors. Now I need to find a machine shop with 427 Side Oiler experience in Central Texas to check the mains and do the finish hone... Anyone know of one?
    68 Mustang Coupe, Lime Gold C-code 289 2V Auto ( bone stock econo box)
    68 Cougar XR7 S-code, Lime Frost, 390 4speed, Edelbrock heads, 11.5 comp, 427 Tunnel Wedge intake and 2 600cfm Edelbrock carbs (far from stock)
    2K Excursion Limited V10 4wd
    09 Focus SES
    2K F350 XLT Power Stroke 6Speed Dually
    48 8N ( a work in progress )

A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkeys monkey !

Planned build is BBM 427 block, 390 crank, Eagle 4340 H Beam rods, JE Forged pistons, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads ( 2.09 & 1.66 valves ), 427 Tunnel Wedge intake, Comp Hydraulic Roller cam (don't have the specs handy right now) and FiTech 2x4 injection. Should make around 450 ft-lbs of torque and 550 HP on pump gas.
    68 Cougar XR7 S-code, Lime Frost, 390 4speed, Edelbrock heads, 11.5 comp, 427 Tunnel Wedge intake and 2 600cfm Edelbrock carbs (far from stock)
    09 Focus SES

Comment

I cant recommend a machine shop/engine builder,sorry.
      however you can color me green with envy..... for the 427...................

Keith
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

I am with Keith, also green with envy. I do not know if I would want a Mustang/Cougar with a BB, must be a bi$#h to work on, that is why I stayed with a SB in my 69 Coupe.
        Mike & Robin Grentus
        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
        M&M Member #- 890
        MCA #- 4549
        My 69 Coupe build album
        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Yeah, it does get a little tight bolting up headers around the middle two cylinders on both sides. On top of that, the heads and header flanges have four bolt holes per port. Yes, I know it's not necessary to use all four, but I've never blown a header gasket.
          09 Focus SES

Comment

Sounds like quite the build! I have plans to eventually convert my small block over to an FE. I've got a couple of 428 irrigation engines, but am not sure either of the blocks are good enough. I'm thinking either one of them would probably take sleeves. The BBM block would definitely be a nice piece to have. Your build sheet sounds a lot like what I'd like to do. I'd be interested to see some pictures as you get going.
            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
            '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
            Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkersaurus View Post
              Planned build is BBM 427 block, 390 crank, Eagle 4340 H Beam rods, JE Forged pistons, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads ( 2.09 & 1.66 valves ), 427 Tunnel Wedge intake, Comp Hydraulic Roller cam (don't have the specs handy right now) and FiTech 2x4 injection. Should make around 450 ft-lbs of torque and 550 HP on pump gas.
              Tinker,

Why a 390 crank?
              What will the resultant displacement be?

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

The 390 and 427 have the same stroke... 3.78... so displacement will be 427... Though the BBM block is actually 4.25 bore instead of 4.23 so if you do the math... 4.25 x 4.25 x .7854 x 3.78 x 8 = 428.99. And a 390 crank will handle 550 HP
                09 Focus SES

Comment

I should probably note that this isn't going to be a race engine. It'll actually be a relatively hot street engine built for longevity. Pump gas capable and the cam specs should be easy on the valve train. Taxes took a big bite outta my caboose, so it might take me a little time to get it done. I will post photographic evidence though.
                  09 Focus SES

Comment

The 390 and 427 have the same stroke... 3.78... so displacement will be 427... Though the BBM block is actually 4.25 bore instead of 4.23 so if you do the math... 4.25 x 4.25 x .7854 x 3.78 x 8 = 428.99. And a 390 crank will handle 550 HP
                    So there isn't any particular reason to use a 390 crank - other than you had one laying around?

I would suppose they'd be more available / less $$ than a 428 ro 427 crank......

Ryan

Comment

Far cheaper than a 427 crank and without the external balance issues of the 428 crank. Of course, if you have a steel 427 crank you'd like to donate.....
                      09 Focus SES

Comment

That’s going to be one cool engine.
                        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                        My Sprint's restoration progress
                        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Far cheaper than a 427 crank and without the external balance issues of the 428 crank. Of course, if you have a steel 427 crank you'd like to donate.....
                          I didn't know that 390 crankshafts were internally balanced.... Learn something every day....... Thks for the schoolin', Tinker!

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                          X