Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64 ford falcon steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 ford falcon steering

I just picked up a ford falcon .. I'm trying to find tie rod ends to fit .. It has the disc brake swap already done I've tryed Moog and the ball stud size is to small where the castle nut goe's .. It is way to sloppy and would not tighten up in the center link or the spindle side . It's like someone swapped out the whole front steering And the previous owner knew nothing about what it came from Any help ??? Thanks Sodi
    Jim Soderberg

70 Mach 1
    Arest-me-red paint
    351W 4sp ,4bbl,Hooker sup-comp, magnaflow stainless

Jim, I remember from my dealings with Mavericks years back, it seems like manual steering cars had different sized tie rod ends than power steering ones did. It will take some research with either a catalog or maybe online to find what size studs were offered on what cars. You'll need to measure the ball stud diameter, length, the threaded part that the sleeve goes on and length from the ball stud to the end of the sleeve threads.

Moog or RockAuto may have the measurements on their sites. I'd look at Mustang and Maverick for sure, maybe Fairlane too. Wish I could give you a part number and car it fits, but maybe I've steered you in the right direction.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I wonder if someone used Granada spindles in the disc brake conversion, which is a common practice. Try a set of ‘79 Granada tie rods, I bet that’s it.

From our tech archives:

I performed the Granada spindle swap on my '66 fastback with great results. The car was originally equipped with manual drum brakes all the way around and a single resevoir MC. They were inadequate at best and downright scary at worst. I upgraded to a manual disc/drum configuration and dual safety resevoir MC using donor parts (two complete spindle/brake assemblies and a proportioning valve/metering block) from a 1979 Granada with 11 inch diameter rotors. I replaced one rotor (the other was nearly new and was re-surfaced) and rebuilt the calipers. I purchased a pair of new 1979 Granada tie rod ends and a disc/drum master cylinder for manual brakes. I also bought new rubber lines (with circular reinforcements to resist ballooning under pressure) and added an adjustable proportioning valve. I also took the opportunity to fabricate a set of adjustable steering stops.

An unexpected bonus of this swap is that the new tie rods and spindles are beefier than the originals.

'70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

I am with Steve on this, a common swap was to use Granada spindles to get disc brakes on a Mustang before the companies made disc brake swap kits.
        Mike & Robin Grentus
        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
        M&M Member #- 890
        MCA #- 4549
        My 69 Coupe build album
        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Dang, I had forgot about the Granada, and that’s what I used on my Maverick. Come to think of it, I still have a set of Granada spindles complete with rotors and calipers stashed out back somewhere....
          Been hanging onto them in case I get another Maverick or Mustang.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Thanks guys,, I have heard of the swaps but never messed with them . I just purchased a 64 falcon hard top and the previous owners claimed the steering came from an older falcon. I'm in the process of dealing with Open Tracker for a whole new front steering section ...
            Jim Soderberg

70 Mach 1
            Arest-me-red paint
            351W 4sp ,4bbl,Hooker sup-comp, magnaflow stainless

Comment

Working...
            X