Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting transmission tunnel for a stick

Hey fellas,

It has been a while since I’ve visited this site. This winter I am finally ditching the AOD in my ‘68 Fairlane and putting in a top loader. The car originally had a 3ap manual column shift. I went with the AOD to dump the column shift and not have to cut the trans tunnel. The AOD has been a thorn in my side from day one and I’d prefer a manual anyway.

I’ve assembled most or all of the parts for this swap and at some point in the not distant future I will be getting ready to instal the trans and shifter. Does anyone have any pointers on how to measure and cut the hole for the shifter?

Thanks for any help you can give me

B

Hole size and position will be dependent on the transmission, 3 speed, 4 speed, 5 speed. With the trans installed, you should be able to punch or drill a hole from the bottom to use as a reference point for the shifter. You could also take some measurements off a fixed point in the floor, like the seat mounting bolts or maybe some drain holes. Start small, and cut away only what you need to. I've had vehicles in the past that looked like that they had been cut with a fireman's axe, I had to make patches to even fit a boot over the hole!

What's wrong with the AOD? I'm in need of a good one for my car.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Trans is a 4sp toploader. I was hopeful there was some standard template I could find as this car I believe could come from the factory with a 4 on the floor.

The AOD has all of the good parts in it but I have a problem with it slipping in 1st and 2nd. It has the wide ratio geartrain and all stamped steel drums and wider OD band. For now my plan is to pull it out, investigate what the issue is and likely fix it. I have a 1968 wagon I was going to put the Toploader into but I may put the AOD in that instead.

Comment

Auto metal direct has a reproduction shift tower available.You could use it as a template or replace that section of flooring.

Comment

Good to know, Mark!

- Ryan
          Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
          X