Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F100 + Crown Vic = Cool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F100 + Crown Vic = Cool

This is a cool project!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLG...&v=RDy8c_nICl8
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

What an interesting project idea.

Comment

I had thoughts of buying a cop car and pulling guts and feathers and transplanting it all into my 47 Lincoln. Couldn't do a frame swap without a lot of cutting, the Lincoln frame is welded to the body like a unibody. I woke up though, realizing how much I hate computer controlled engines and transmissions and all that goes with them. Would be nice to have a 4.6 in it, but all that computer stuff is above my pay grade.......
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

If I was up to another project, this would be it. I even looked on craigslist and some guy around here has a 2010 police CV with 84k miles for $3500. Add a $10k truck and you'd have a state of the art driver for under $15k.
        "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Here's an article I found about this project that shows more details:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/swap-...4&sf65850424=1

Comment

Very cool, Hot Rod Garage is pretty good. Can't wait for the next episode where they finish it.
            1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
            347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.49 @ 125.35

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
            244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

They FINALLY released part two of the project. What a cool truck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLG...&v=xX1mjS7Gjys

Comment

The new Car Craft magazine (July) has a two part series on this conversion, it has a tiny bit more detail on it. They promise to go into detail on the bed and fuel tank modifications in the next part.

I've been watching YouTube videos of other conversions other people have been doing, this has been catching on quite a bit. If I didn't have so many other irons in the fire...

Comment

I hear ya Steve. More time in the day would be perfect. There is a Towncar sitting across from our shop I can have for almost nothing with a great running 4.6 and I have a rust free 59 F3 at home that would be fun to convert. If there was just 48 hours in a day, lol.

Going to check out a '65 IH Scout in a couple hours. I secretly hope he wants to much for it. Other wise I'll end up dragging it home for the collection of never ending projects.

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Why do they always screw up the beds in so called "shop trucks"? A flat bed is essential if you ever need to haul anything bigger than a few grocery bags. Don't think I would have been running it that hard on that road, mountain on one side, cliff on the other.......bigger balls than I have!
                    When you figure in all the new wiring, computers, and suspension components, this low buck swap ends up getting pretty pricey. Guess I'm just too pessimistic, cool truck, but I'd just stuck a bigger motor in it and called it good. Still, if ya got the bucks {unlimited sponsors bucks for advertising}, a pretty neat project.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

The bed is altered to give clearance to the suspension, but if you think about what a shop truck hauls, it's usually things like engine blocks and transmissions and boxes of parts and oil cases, etc. They aren't hauling lumber or plywood on a regular basis, so that's a worthwhile concession to get the vastly superior hardware.

The whole point of these conversions is to get modern, efficient hardware installed on a vintage body for really cheap money. When I looked at what I can get here locally, I found ex-cop cars with heady duty everything for a song. I found someone about 100 miles from me that has a bunch of them, the one that really caught my eye was a 2007 CV with 84k miles for $3500, and a newly painted (he called it 'restored' but I'm too old to fall for that) '66 F100 for $10k. A guy doing the work himself could put together a virtually perfect F100 with fuel injected 4.6L 260 horse V8 that could easily be modified for more, electronic overdrive, limited slip rear, four link rear suspension. It'd run like a clock, you could drive it coast to coast without a wimper at the drop of the hat and probably get over 20 mpg because it weighs less than the original CV so the drivetrain will think it's on a vacation, not to mention you can get parts for it anywhere, and they're cheap, since that chassis has been used virtually everywhere.

As for being intimidated by the electronics and the fuel injection, let me tell you as a guy that rebuilt carbs for years and even had a business specializing in rebuilding them, let me tell you FI is light years ahead in economy and ease to diagnose. You guys may not remember how bad carbs ran when they were off, and they were off quite often. My bread and butter used to be fixing carbs other mechanics gave up on, and to not get bogged down with details, very few people seemed to understand how they actually worked and never realized they were virtually never stoichiometrically tuned except for maybe on a 58 degree summer night with 50% humidity and 175 degrees engine temperature going 45 mph on a steady grade, provided the timing was set perfectly too. The rest of the time it's 'sorta close.' That's not even getting into how superior it is having a control module adjusting the timing to perfectly match the fuel curve multiple times per second, FI and engine management are the reason modern engines go 200-300k instead of being spent once you hit six figure mileage even though what they're selling us for gas these days is pure garbage.

Comment

If you have the diagnostic tools to work with, I agree, FI and computer ignition is far superior. If you're a poor guy like me, it's simply frustrating when a simple sensor shuts the whole thing down and you have no way of finding it. I know just enough on the way it all works to leave it alone, otherwise you start throwing parts on it and nothing changes until you get the right one, if you do.

I bought a scan tool to use on my OBD II vehicles. It has helped me figure out what was happening most of the time. It doesn't tell me what to change however, so I still have to look for that info online, and hope it's correct.

If I were doing a swap like this, I'd have just put in the engine and trans, and if I wanted a better IFS, I would have put the Crown Vic under there. I would have kept the 9" rear, maybe lowered it a bit, but I'd still had a truck I could haul in. Might not have been a canyon carver like theirs, but it would still have been a respectable driving truck.

Comment

Most auto parts stores will scan your car for free, my '94 has never had to be scanned because it's been flawless since I bought it new, but the service engine light came on with my van and Advance scanned it and told me it was the evap system which got me to buy a gas cap which is common for new cars, and when that didn't do it, further looking it over allowed me to discover the filler tube was rusted through. If I had diagnosed more completely I'd have saved myself from buying a new cap for nothing but I was at least in the right area. When I used to troubleshoot carbs in the seventies and eighties you'd be amazed at what some of my customers had wasted with other mechanics trying to fix their problems, many were in the high hundreds and when I got their cars running right by finding a vacuum leak or rebuilding their carbs after three other guys then fixing their actual problem like a bad distributor or something similar, some of them didn't know whether to cry or kill the other mechanics that wasted their time and money, especially the people I spent five minutes replacing a $2 vacuum hose. I love modern diagnostics.

Comment

Steve....did you pick up a Crown Vic yet? I would be a cool project to follow on here.

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                              Steve....did you pick up a Crown Vic yet? I would be a cool project to follow on here.
                              I'm very tempted, but I can't. Too many irons in the fire, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                              X