Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Ranger code P0174

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Ranger code P0174

this is the code that shows up for my truck when the Autozone guy checks it ( fuel system to lean,bank 2). I have been struggling with this for
    2 months. the printout states it is likely a faulty vacuum hose however the truck runs ok & so far I have NOT found any vacuum leak.
    if it is a vacuum leak wouldnt the truck run rough ????? I`m lost with this new stuff
    2004 Ranger, 4.0 liter V6
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

blue34, check out the attached link from Ford Ranger Forum about that exact problem. IIRC it has to do with replacing a cracked PCV elbow. http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-s...o174-look.html
    Mike & Robin Grentus
    69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
    08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
    00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
    99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
    14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
    M&M Member #- 890
    MCA #- 4549
    My 69 Coupe build album
    http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Comment

Blue34,
        Let us know if the PVC elbow was the problem or whatever you determine.......

Ryan
        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

After 17 years playing Ford technician, I've learned over the years that "guessing" online isn't a good way to diagnose vehicles, but here's my advice for you. Other than the obvious rotten rubber hose or slipped off pcv valve (which you would probably notice anyway because the vehicle wouldn't run right), the proper way to diagnose lean codes is doing it while the vehicle is hooked up to an IDS (or other scan took) and monitor the O2 sensor and fuel trim PID's, then introduce propane in and around intake gaskets, hoses, etc to see if the propane gets sucked into the Air/fuel mix and changes the PID.

You didn't mention mileage, but the three things that immediately come to my mind in a higher mileage vehicle are deteriorating intake manifold gaskets, (most likely), a fuel pump that's starting to get weak, and/or fuel injectors on that bank that may not be performing as they should.

In summary, and I'm not trying to sound condescending, but unless you see something obviously, you're probably going to need some technical help to get it diagnosed (and fixed) right the first time.
          M&M Member #91
          Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

thanks Sub. I am taking 1 thing at a time & will be working on it soon to try to eliminate the simple things first.
            if I cant correct the problem I plan on taking it to the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
              thanks Sub. I am taking 1 thing at a time & will be working on it soon to try to eliminate the simple things first.
              if I cant correct the problem I plan on taking it to the dealer
              Keep us posted, I'd like to hear what the problem was
              M&M Member #91
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

today I changed the PCV valve,plugs, wires & coil pack. then I started looking for bad vacuum lines or whatever.
                I found a bolt head broken off this sensor. I am thinking this could be the problem (check the pictures).
                I will have to wait until next week when I have time & try to remove the broken bolt to replace it..................

BTW, it only took 6 hours to change everything....this getting old puts a crimp on me working on my cars....

Comment

well the problem was not the PCV valve as the light is back on
                  I again checked the vacuum lines to the PCV & cannot find any cracks/breaks, however due to the age of the truck I ordered the line
                  to erase any doubts..............
                  BTW........that bolt head that is broke off in the picture is just a mounting bolt for that unit, no vacuum or anything else is involved. still I removed the busted piece &
                  installed a new bolt.

Comment

well the problem was not the PCV valve as the light is back on
                    I again checked the vacuum lines to the PCV & cannot find any cracks/breaks, however due to the age of the truck I ordered the line
                    to erase any doubts..............
                    BTW........that bolt head that is broke off in the picture is just a mounting bolt for that unit, no vacuum or anything else is involved. still I removed the busted piece &
                    installed a new bolt.
                    I kinda figured the broken bolt wasn't the issue, that bolt doesn't thread into the actual intake, just a threaded bolt boss.
                    Fortunately, the parts you replaced probably needed replaced anyway in terms of general maintenance, but I'm still willing to bet you've got some intake manifold gaskets that have simply hardened up over time and are allowing too much O2 past them and leaning out one of your banks, causing the lean code.

M&M Member #91

Comment

I hope its not the intake gaskets as when the T-stat housing cracked/broke & was leaking, I had the gaskets replaced with the housing. this was last September.
                      I`m not sure but it seems this code only shows up when the truck is used for a trip lasting over an hour....

Comment

I hope its not the intake gaskets as when the T-stat housing cracked/broke & was leaking, I had the gaskets replaced with the housing. this was last September.
                        I`m not sure but it seems this code only shows up when the truck is used for a trip lasting over an hour....
                        Don't need to pull the upper intake manifold during a t stat housing replacement. There are two gaskets that get replaced with the t stat housing.....are those the gaskets you're thinking they replaced?

If they did R&R the upper intake and replace the upper intake manifold gaskets, you still have the lower intake manifold gaskets, which are the ones that usually get hard and fail as they are squeezed between the lower intake and the engine block, and exposed to the heat of the engine.

I should have been more clear in my initial post, but the fact that you are getting only ONE lean code, which is the drivers side bank, tells me it's likely a problem with something on that bank only. If you had a vacuum leak upstream (PVC elbow or vacuum line), or a fuel pressure issue, you'd have lean codes on BOTH banks (P0171 and P0174) and would be common to both banks.

Lower intake gaskets on the 4 liter really isn't a bad job, just a little time consuming because there's quite a bit of "interference" that needs to be removed before you get there. You'll need a decent service manual with torque specs, etc etc. as well as a torque wrench.
                        Last edited by submariner mustanger; 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM.
                        M&M Member #91

Comment

after I found the coolant leak, I was taking the truck in to have the housing replaced , the CEL came on. I asked the dealer to check that out also.
                          they called for approval to replace the intake gaskets & o-rings for the injectors. I gave them the OK as my late mother was having health issues and
                          I did not have the time to do it myself. so again I hope that is not the problem ..............................

Comment

after I found the coolant leak, I was taking the truck in to have the housing replaced , the CEL came on. I asked the dealer to check that out also.
                            they called for approval to replace the intake gaskets & o-rings for the injectors. I gave them the OK as my late mother was having health issues and
                            I did not have the time to do it myself. so again I hope that is not the problem ..............................
                            Gotcha, that makes sense.

M&M Member #91

Comment

update: after the last CEL occurrence back in June I talked to my regular mechanic a few days later & he remembered that on his diagnostic scanner had the lean
                              code but also gave him an impending code for lean condition on bank 1
                              ( I had asked him to put his scanner on it & got the lean bank 1 code to check/verify with the Autozone scanner &
                              then we were distracted by a female customer so he did not remember this bit of information at the time....well she was very good looking & I lost my train of thought too,
                              okay, not lost but derailed ! are you happy now ?).

we agreed that something was giving a lean condition to the whole system for that to occur.
                              so I changed out the original fuel filter, a 10 minute job.
                              knock wood, since the end of June there have been no issues. so I am guessing it may have been the filter all that time ????????????????
                              as this truck has been good to me I am hoping for another 150,000 miles before any more issues arise

Comment

Working...
                              X