Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'97 E-150 van rear auxiliary heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 E-150 van rear auxiliary heater

Does anybody have experience with working on these? I think it's a Spal 1100 series, but I'm still in the IDing phase. It's in my van and started making a noise and now it just blows fuses. I'd like to locate an exploded view before I attempt an autopsy. IMG_1040.JPG
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
    Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

What's blowing the fuse, the fan motor? It looks a lot like those aftermarket underdash heat and air units. What's the blue tube? looks like the rubber connector is broken.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Yes, the fan motor began whining a while ago and now has started popping fuses. When you turn the fan you can hear and feel the friction as it turns. I found pictures on the internet of what '97 E-150 rear auxiliary heater looks like and the pictures I've seen show a whole different unit, which is puzzling by itself. Even though it is a conversion van you'd think they'd at least use the available unit.

The factory unit shows their original unit easy to replace, this one looks like I have to pull the unit out to r&r the motor, which is a PITA.
      I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...

Comment

See what I mean? I could change this out while eating a ham and cheese sandwich:
        Attached Files

Comment

With conversion stuff, you never know who the source is. My Bro in law had a 454 SS Silverado, mid 80's model. It had a dealer or somebody else's air put on it, it was about like yours, a PITA to work on. They cut two holes in the firewall for fresh air! It never cooled the truck cab, and it was a standard cab, not an extended one. After he found out how crappy it was installed, he sold the truck.

Unless you can take out those two screws on the fan housing and take the end off, I'd say you will probably have to take out the whole unit to get to the fan.
          The AC box in the sleeper of my Freightliner is about the same way, I need to change the expansion valve on it because it's stuck and won't cool, but I'll have to remove the lines and take the whole box out to get to it. It's staying put for now, might tackle it in cooler weather for next summer.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Yeah, it looks like it'll need to at least be pulled out a bit. No surprise, I'm used to getting the short straw on my projects.

Comment

Well, I joined a Facebook group for Econoline owners and posted a photo hoping someone would recognize it, but no dice. One guy pointed me to a company in California that fits aftermarket HVAC systems and I called them but they had no idea either.

Comment

Any idea on the company that did the conversion? They might be able to help. Then again, so many of them have went out of business, it might be a lost trail. The motor should be a common thing with a lot of the aftermarket units, I bet most of them use the same one. But, it could also be a China knock off, and impossible to find. Good luck!

Comment

A guy from that Facebook Econoline group helped me to identify it as a Pro-Air and the company is still in business. Their online manuals don't seem very helpful, I guess I'll just have to jump in and find what I find. http://proairllc.com/image/data/docs...n%20manual.pdf

Comment

Looking at that manual, looks like you have to pull the blower and housing together. From what I read, should be a bolt or screw in the upper flange, take that out, and the blower assembly will slide out. Now if the directions are right is a different story...

Comment

That's how I see it too, hopefully I'll have enough hose to pull it out enough to work on the back.

Comment

Fixed!

Ironically, the problem was identical to the one we had in our bathroom fan a few weeks ago. The fan slipped on the shaft and was seized against the housing, preventing it from turning. The repair was the same, spacing it out with washers. Spal made this fan. I always assumed that since they make high end cooling fans for cars that all their products were first class. Not this time, whoever designed the way this fan was attached to the motor gets an F- in my book.

Comment

Great you got it fixed Steve!
                          Maybe SPAL is like everybody else, they have the "good" stuff, and a cheaper product line too?

Comment

way to go Steve !
                            34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Working...
                            X