Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford 1, Toyota 0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 1, Toyota 0

I was home this morning since the AC compressor on my semi decided to take a dump yesterday. Clutch bearings went out, so I was about to lose my water pump, AC, and alternator belt, so I had to wait until this morning to get a new compressor. Wife was going to Tuscaloosa today with one of our friends for their normal Tuesday, go pick up my check, go to bank, sometimes Dr.'s offices, almost always, WalMart. She was going to pick up my parts while she was down there, so I was doing a little reading when she left, then planned on taking the truck apart while I waited on her to get back. Probably less than 10 mins later, the local cops came through, lights and siren blaring, followed by a county cop the same way a few mins later. Didn't think much about it, figured a wreck somewhere, happens all the time, I live about 1.5 miles from a 4 way stop with three major highways joining there, so somebody is always running one side or the other. Then I got a call on my house phone, couldn't hear anybody, and wasn't sure about the number, it looked kinda familiar. About 15 minutes later, the same number called again, and asked was I not coming over there? Over where? I asked, totally in the dark, then our friend said they were loading the wife up in the ambulance, they had had a wreck. Ran out and jumped in the pickup and rushed the 4-5 miles to where they were, wife was bruised up, but the trip to the hospital confirmed no broken bones. Our friend wasn't injured at all. Both had on their seat belts. They were sitting still at a construction site flagman stop sign, and got rear ended by a fairly new Toyota 4 Runner.

The Built FORD TOUGH Expedition stood up a lot better than the Toyota. Tailgate is pushed in about 6"-8" or more in the center, bumper is cocked a bit, I think both tail lights were broke, and the drivers side headlight popped out. The plastic and tin foil Toyota folded up like a wet sack, the grill was about even with the front tires, the hood buckled in the middle and was sticking up higher than the windsheild. Her air bag deployed, but the wife's didn't. Girl said she looked down and didn't notice the wife was stopped.. Funny thing is, she works for the company she has insurance with, and her husband is a county cop!

I'd bet the Toyota is totaled, and I figure due to the age of the Expedition, 18 years old, they will total it too. Adjuster is supposed to look at it tomorrow and let us know.
    I had my phone on me, but didn't think to take any pics. May go over tomorrow to the towing yard and take a few after I get home.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Wow, that sucks Bobby. I hope your wife is ok, sometimes it takes a few days before the pain comes and points out the damage done.

When will people learn that when you're driving a car you need to pay attention 100% of the time? That "I looked down and didn't notice..." BS doesn't cut it, IMO.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
    Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

Just talked to her, they are going to total the Expy. Haven't got their offer yet, may have to fight with them yet.
      She's feeling OK today, just badly sore. She went to her chiropractor this morning, he said she will need lots of adjustment to get back right.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Got paid yesterday for the Expy. I was really surprised at the quickness they paid off and the amount- $2500 + $175 rental car fee they gave us instead of renting a car for a week. Pretty damn good for a 18 year old vehicle, we only paid $3000 for the car 4 years ago, put just over 100,000 miles on it, only things I had to do were one alternator, belt tensioner, one battery, one set of brakes, 6 tires, and new front end parts, ball joints and A arm bushings, pretty much normal maintenance items. Might say we drove it for $500 for 4 years! Can't beat that! I probably should have just bought it back and put a used hatch on it, but at 268,000, it was starting to get a bit weak on hills, the AC and heat didn't work too well, and the interior was getting tired. We were planning on replacing it in the spring anyway, this way probably turned out better in the long run.

Was going to go look at an 03 Expy in the morning, but the guy just called and said he sold it tonight. Glad he called, saved me a 100 mile trip. Going to call about another 03 in the morning, depending on the price, may go look at it. Another possible 100 mile trip in another direction, but if the price is right, might be worth it.

Comment

Well, today was a bust. Went and looked at a 03, too many miles on it. Called about a 04, too high. Ended up going 100 miles to look at another 03, mileage was OK, price was in our range. Got up there, and was kinda sick we went. It was that Toreador Red, and like most of them that color, was faded to a kinda pinkish tint. I could have lived with it, but when we got inside, realized it had Captain's chairs in the center row. No way that would work with the Grandson and his car seat, it would put him right beside the door instead of in the center where he needs to be. Would be too hard for her to reach him with her driving. Put over 300 miles on my pickup today, with nothing to show for it. Oh well, there's always next week, maybe something close will pop up. Saw several on Craigslist over in the Atlanta area, but I don't want to drive that far. If I wasn't looking, they'd be everywhere.....

Comment

Do you have to get a replacement right away or do you have the luxury of waiting until the right deal pops up? Those are when you tend to get the best buys.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
            My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
            Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

She's in a bigger hurry than I am. She hates having to climb into my pickup,and doesn't want to haul the kid around in the Firebird. I am going to take my time for the right one. May end up having to go to a newer model and take on a payment, but I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible. I've got more debt right now than I am comfortable with. I prefer to be debt free as much as possible.

Comment

Got a replacement! https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ent-expedition

Comment

Working...
                X