Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F-150 Electrical Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-150 Electrical Issues

So I'm driving home from work Friday and as I pull into the neighborhood I get a battery fault light with 5 cycle audible alarm. As I watch, the icon changes from a battery to a wrench. Then that cycles to "service engine immediately" (I think that's what it said), then it rotated back to the battery icon, and kept cycling through that series. Then my whole center dash pod went dark. I got it into the driveway (barely) and turned it off. Popped the hood and put the voltmeter on the battery. 12.1 volts. Went to restart, and it just clicked. Pulled the battery, and took it to advanced auto. They tested and said it was fine, but needed charging. I had them do that and then re-installed. 12.9 volts at rest. Started right up and now had 12.0 volts running. Clearly an alternator issue. Replaced the alternator (that was a chore...no stores in MD had one). 12.9 volts at rest; 14.2 volts running. Good right? Not so much. The damn thing keeps popping the battery fault and 5 cycle audible alarm. I drove it around all day Sunday with that damned alarm going, but it drives fine. Voltages are all good. What the hell?!?! Any ideas? What triggers that fault?

Also getting a P0451 EVAP sensor fault (that was there previously; intermittently). And my steering shaft seized. Got that replaced with Ford shaft, and now I have about 2* of play in the steering.

Not a good weekend for my truck.....
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

So update: I went by Advance and they tested the whole electrical system. Everything tested ok, so I'm a bit baffled as to why it's tripping the alarm. There are two alternators listed for my truck; 150amp and 155amp. I got the 150, but I'm wondering with the NAV system if I need the 155, although there was nothing in their system to discern which is used for which application. They are ordering me both, and we'll see if they cease the alarm.

On the steering shaft front, I'm returning this one and they'll send me a new one. Looks like the boy and I have another weekend of wrench turning....oh, and his clutch is going out too. Sigh.....

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Sorry for the bad luck. I had to change my intermediate shaft last year. It was expensive. I first went to NAPA and bought a Dorman part. It was a POS. There was so much slop at the ends you couldn’t drive it safely. I returned it and got a Ford part. $250 IIRC.
      Some assembly required.

Comment

What year is your truck?
        M&M Member #91
        Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

It's a 2010 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4. Funny, I bought the Ford part for $220, and it has slop in it too. I called for a replacement.

So to finish off the alternator story, Advance gave me the Denko "155 amp" alternator and another 150 and had me go try them both. I took the 155 amp out of the box and there was a sticker on it that said 150 amp. I called them and asked if they gave me the right one. He assured me they did, so I went to hook it up and the electrical connectors were on the back rather than the top which prevented me from being able to connect anything to them since they were effectively blocked by the manifold. Sigh. So I put the 150 amp on (same as the one that didn't work) and it works perfectly. I took the others back and left the mystery of the Denko for them to figure out. Clearly it was the wrong alternator for my truck.

Steering shaft should get here tomorrow, so I'll tackle that too. Then I'll focus on getting a clutch for the kid's Mustang. Then I'll have to dig up a solution to P0451. Sounds like an expensive PITA. Baby steps.....

M&M Member #33
          '66 Coupe C code
          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Did an oil change on the truck. Ironically, the P0451 fault code cleared. Haven't seen it since. May it rest in peace. lol

M&M Member #33
            '66 Coupe C code
            '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

It looks like you may have already figured it out, but I was going to let you know that I have seen a ton of Ford vehicles come in with charging concerns and AFTERMARKET alternators. The regulators don’t operate correctly with the PCM, causing all sorts of issues from check engine light, charging light, with the alternator either charging or not charging. It’s so stupid, not sure why the aftermarket can’t get the regulators correct. Much more prevalent with the Auto Zone/Advance units.
              Last edited by submariner mustanger; 05-04-2018, 07:28 AM.
              M&M Member #91
              Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

That's what I hate about all these computers nowadays. One little thing can screw up everything.
                ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                  That's what I hate about all these computers nowadays. One little thing can screw up everything.
                  Exactly. When so many sensors read voltage in fractions of voltage, what happens when wires get old and develop more resistance, for example, or connectors get a little corrosion? Good luck tracing all those circuits.
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

Exactly. When so many sensors read voltage in fractions of voltage, what happens when wires get old and develop more resistance, for example, or connectors get a little corrosion? Good luck tracing all those circuits.
                    I've been following a thread on another board, guy has a TPI Camaro doing like my last Vette did. I told him my experiences with mine, and he kept looking for a cause. He thinks he may have found it, a 4 wire junction in the wiring harness, it would allow full current to go through, but not full amperage. When it was put under a load, it couldn't carry it all. It supplies the ECM and fuel pump circuit, so when it started giving fits it wouldn't let it run. Probably what was wrong with my Vette by the description, but nobody ever found it....
                    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Working...
                    X