Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some heavy duty trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some heavy duty trouble

20180911_160941.jpg20180911_160949.jpg20180911_161003.jpg
    Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
    71 F-250 4x2
    88 F-150 4X2

It was just about to go over, the ground really gave way quick under the left rears. 20 tons of gravel on, hard against the left side. GVW was 71,760. Got er out though!
    Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
    71 F-250 4x2
    88 F-150 4X2

Comment

My brother (the one this load was for) has a pretty good sized 4wd tractor, only my 20180911_161314.jpg uphill wheels had power of course, but I thought maybe his tractor would be enough of a nudge. Sheeeeeit, wouldn't budge it. So had to bite the bullet and call the big boy. If that cable would have broken and whipped back through the windshield it would have cut me in two. But it didn't! The only thing hurt was my wallet! $550 for a 45 minute job.
      Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
      71 F-250 4x2
      88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Wow,that’s scary! I stood a single axle dump up on the tailgate one time, bunch of wet dirt and bark that wouldn’t slide out, got. to the rear of the bed and stuck, standing the truck up. We pulled it down with a pickup, by then it had dried out enough the load slid partly out.

It hurts to call out a hook, but still better than it flipping over. Glad you came out OK, even if your wallet is a bit lighter!
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Damn, that could have gotten really ugly. A place near here has super heavy duty trucks like that and I always wondered what they charge. They always have their trucks looking nice so I figured it wasn’t cheap:

https://raystruckservice.net/
          '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
          My Sprint's restoration progress
          ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

I've been stuck in landfills like this several times but never thought much about it because there was always a medium to large trackhoe or dozer there, and they can make quick work of a problem like that, no cost of course. I keep a big chain with me.

Bobby, I've come close to rearing mine up with sticking loads of mud, but never came so close as I did once when I had the tailgate double locked and forgot about it, forgot to take the manual one off before raising the bed. The front wheels came up about a foot before I hit the down control and it gently settled back down. That was a long time ago.

I can't really complain Steve, I'd say wrecker liability insurance is sky high, and I know that the licensing and insurance on my truck is high enough. I get out and regularly work 8 and 10 hours straight without thinking about it, whereas wrecker work is bound to be more sporadic. This guy's shop is about a half hours drive from my location, and it was 35 to 40 minutes from the time I called until he showed up, so I know he dropped whatever he was doing and hopped to it, that's worth a lot.

I wouldn't want to do that kind of work, I don't like cables. I hear they can start rusting on the inside, and keep looking like new on the outside. They might have some criteria for how often they replace them, I don't know. I just glanced at the cable, looked to be about 1" in diameter. Reminds me of a story I heard in my area about 20 years ago, a concrete truck got stuck, and a cable was being used to pull it out. Someone was standing nearby, the cable broke and slashed his legs, and he bled to death before the ambulance got there. I'm involved with this stuff quite enough as it is, I would not want to be an ~in-charge~ wrecker guy. Also, this guy had an impressive looking pistol on his side, some of his work probably involves some hostility. When he said "five-fifty", I thought about making the check out for $5.50 just for fun, but figured I'd better not.

Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
            71 F-250 4x2
            88 F-150 4X2

Comment

I spent one winter when I was about 19 on tow truck duty and it was miserable and what I quickly realized, dangerous. People driving by seem to not give a crap about a guy hooking up a car on the side of the road and having a car going by inches from you at highway speeds is an eye opener.
              '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
              My Sprint's restoration progress
              ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Working...
              X