Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Defroster for F250

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Defroster for F250

Ordered a F250 and found that due to an oversight the rear defroster option didn't get in. I hardly ever use the rear defroster in my car. How useful is it on a crew cab truck that will be garaged and used probably only in good weather to tow my car to the track. Trying to figure out if it's worth it to have them change the glass and hook up wiring for about $400. I'm kind of thinking it's not worth it.

I agree with you. Even up here in the frozen north we don’t use them that often.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Since it will be garaged, I doubt you'll need it. An extra few minutes warming up every once in a while would probably be cheaper in the long run.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Thanks for your opinions. Plus they might screw something up on a brand new truck.

Comment

Originally posted by afret View Post
          Thanks for your opinions. Plus they might screw something up on a brand new truck.
          That would be my biggest worry! I can live without the rear defroster in the truck, but I will say the heated mirrors have me spoiled!!
          1968 Fastback
          90 5.0 HO
          T-5
          Modern leather buckets
          Front Disc
          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Originally posted by afret View Post
            Probably likely, too. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to repair ‘repairs’ others have made. They just want the job done as fast as possible so they can move on, you have to live with it.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Better off without it. I can't tell you how many rear glasses I've replaced in the 2009-2014 F150's.....and we had started seeing some in the new body style as well. When the outside temps are VERY cold, like in the teens and below, when the customer turns on the rear defrost, the rear glass shatters. If it's under warranty, Ford always replaced them but if the truck is out of warranty, it's on the customer. Not sure what Ford couldn't get right with the rear defrost (gets too hot too fast or what), but we replaced a TON of them.
              M&M Member #91
              Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Working...
              X