Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 F150 Brake job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 F150 Brake job

Had a productive day yesterday working on my truck. Brakes showed signs of needing an update. I did a pretty extensive market search and found a screaming good deal on a front brake kit. Amazon had a Detroit Axle kit on sale. Kit included slotted/vented rotors, ceramic pads, hardware, bottle of brake cleaner spray and a bottle of DOT 3 brake fluid. Delivered for $114. Crazy good deal and I jumped on it. Spent the day Sunday working on it. Rotated tires, oil change and complete brake job. Had a heck of a time getting the caliper bolts out. Had to ultimately resort to a lever arm. Then the old rotors wouldn't release. They had 152k on them as originals, so I guess I can't complain. lol. That BFH got a workout, but I was pretty happy with the kit. Looks great too. We'll see how they hold up, but they seem to be of high quality. Here's a pic. F150 Rotors.jpg
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

that looks good Dave, nice job.

Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Looks good.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Dave, looks like a sweet setup! Nicely done!

Which brings me to the question - Dave, your truck went 9 years and 152K miles...... how often do you guys bleed the brake sytems (all four corners) on your daily drivers?

Ryan
        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I really only bleed them if I work on them.
          1968 Fastback
          90 5.0 HO
          T-5
          Modern leather buckets
          Front Disc
          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
            Dave, looks like a sweet setup! Nicely done!

Which brings me to the question - Dave, your truck went 9 years and 152K miles...... how often do you guys bleed the brake sytems (all four corners) on your daily drivers?

Ryan
            Should never have to “bleed” your brakes unless you open the system, or something happens where you lose brake pressure.

As for “flushing” your brake fluid, a good rule of thumb is, 10 years or 100k miles, and/or looks dark and nasty. Brake fluid should be clear clean.
            Brake fluid is “hyposcopic”. Even though brake systems are sealed, over the course of time, fluid does take in moisture and contamination.
            If your brake fluid is not clear and a good color, and you’ve got the miles and time on the vehicle, a brake flush is always a good sell.
            M&M Member #91
            Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Hi Sub,
              Thanks for sharing your pointers regarding brake fluid service.

The 'dark and nasty' look is what I've used as a sign that it's time to bleed the brakes. I usually will siphon out 90% of what is in the master cylinder reservior, refill with new fluid, then bleed the lines starting from the RR, RL, RF and finally LF corners. Some of my old iron that I still keep alive have rather old and not so tight caps that likely allow more air/moisture contact than is recommended.

Thanks again! - Ryan
              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I admit, that I have never bled them. I haven't opened the system, so I press on. But you're right of course. I should do that. Thanks....another project!
                It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
                '66 Coupe C code
                '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Working...
                X