Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana 60 "Monobeam"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 60 "Monobeam"

Going to pick up the front end setup off a '92 f350 tonight. My next project will being going through it and getting it installed in my '85 f250. I'd been looking for one for awhile and this one popped up. It also has 3.54 gears in it, so I'll be looking for a rear axle to swap because I have 4.10's now (or maybe get 3.55 and a limited swaped in).

Anyways, I'll try and remember to take pics and whatnot as I'm cleaning it up and preparing for the swap. I'll have to find my rear axle before I do the swap, as we are heading into winter here, and want to make sure 4wd is available if needed.
    1968 Fastback
    90 5.0 HO
    T-5
    Modern leather buckets
    Front Disc
    2001 Bullit Green

I had 3.55 in my 86 F150 4x4, good ratio. Pulls good without overworking the motor at interstate speeds.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

For my towing needs it will be great. With the zf5 swap I did, First is a granny anyways, so I'll be able to get whatever I need moving!
      1968 Fastback
      90 5.0 HO
      T-5
      Modern leather buckets
      Front Disc
      2001 Bullit Green

Comment

W68S,
        Why the switch out? Did the OE front axle become irrepairably damaged?

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
          W68S,
          Why the switch out? Did the OE front axle become irrepairably damaged?

Ryan
          First, I wanted to gear to a 3.55.
          Second, Looking at what I was going to need, new hubs, bearings, u joints, and center support bushing(both) I'd rather put the money into the solid axle then the ttb.
          Third, Solid axles are just cooler, LOL

Really, gear ratio was the main, dana 60 was the right price, and gives me a project to clean up and get ready over for a bit. Albeit and large and heavy project!
          1968 Fastback
          90 5.0 HO
          T-5
          Modern leather buckets
          Front Disc
          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

W68S,
            Ok, good enough reason. Will the '92 f350 have the same bolt circle as your '85 f250.....so you can use the same/interchangeable wheels?

Ryan

Comment

W68S,
              Ok, good enough reason. Will the '92 f350 have the same bolt circle as your '85 f250.....so you can use the same/interchangeable wheels?

Ryan
              Good question. I know they changed the 1/2 ton to metric pattern in 97, I think they may have changed the 3/4 and 1T sometime, too. He probably needs to check that.
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

No worries guys! Super duty body style was 1999. Heavy picks ups were still the old body style in 97. Technically there wasn’t a heavy duty 250-350 in 98. 1999 is when they went metric, spring perches and whatnot aren’t the same either. 1986-1997 ford Dana 60 front is a bolt in for the f250 ttb swap.
                1968 Fastback
                90 5.0 HO
                T-5
                Modern leather buckets
                Front Disc
                2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Tell you what guys, it's all the little pieces that add up! lol Ball joints, universals, spindle bearings, hub bearings, etc! Good thing this is a slow project.
                  1968 Fastback
                  90 5.0 HO
                  T-5
                  Modern leather buckets
                  Front Disc
                  2001 Bullit Green

Comment

you got it, all the other needed pieces add up fast.....

Keith
                    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

W68S,
                      Don't forget to write down in your records/journal what non-OEM parts you do end up using.......in case you need to refer to who/what/when in the future....

Ryan

Comment

W68S,
                        Don't forget to write down in your records/journal what non-OEM parts you do end up using.......in case you need to refer to who/what/when in the future....

Ryan
                        Thats for sure! I've got a "log book" in my mustang's glove box. 91 mark vii engine, 91 t-5, 73 front discs and spindles, etc.....lol, there aint much factory on it!
                        1968 Fastback
                        90 5.0 HO
                        T-5
                        Modern leather buckets
                        Front Disc
                        2001 Bullit Green

Comment

I should of grabbed a picture, but I forgot! Man the ball joints on this dana 60 are huge! (at least compared to our stangs and 1/2 tons I've done before) I had to get a 1 5/16" socket for the nut on the bottom one! Then the top joint was seized so bad, it separated the upper ball joint when I got the knuckle broke loose! I'm heading to the hardware store tonight to get some different sized pipe to make my ball joint press fit a little better. LOL..

Amazing how tough projects are more fun when you aren't fixing something that needs to be working on Monday!
                          1968 Fastback
                          90 5.0 HO
                          T-5
                          Modern leather buckets
                          Front Disc
                          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

W68S,
                            How is the front end swap going?

Ryan

Comment

Ryan,

It's going slow! lol. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it in, and between the little ones and sports, it always goes slower than I hoped! Pretty close to getting all the knuckles, spindles and hubs back on. All new ball joints, bearings and races, new brake rotors, and giving it a coat of paint. It looks much better though!

Now to prepare for pushing the old rubber busing out of the leaf springs!!
                              1968 Fastback
                              90 5.0 HO
                              T-5
                              Modern leather buckets
                              Front Disc
                              2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Working...
                              X